SONY RAW STILLS

BLACKOUT

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, BLACKOUT said:

Just wanting to know from the wider community if any of the earlier Sony A7,R or S variants have the clean raw, not 11 + 7.

Did any later firmware updates give the earlier bodies clean stills raw??

the mark 1 bodies did not get the update. the 14-bit still raw came out for mark 2 bodies Oct 2015, but all firmwares since then for the mark 1 are lens optimisation and no update for raw compression options.

On 14/11/2016 at 7:59 PM, BLACKOUT said:

Thanks,

So is it foolish to go mk1 A7 24 mega pix body with smart adaptor for canon TSE lens for stills.( 24 mp is OK for me, - looking for more dynamic range.Dont want to spend close to $5k AUD for latest Canon 5 iv...)

I'm chasing some shadow detail, just wanting to know if the lossy (think thats Sony's compression name) will screw me over.

Previously had 5d iii and wasn't impressed at all.

Mk1 seems to have more Dynamic Range than Mk 2 bodies.(but useless if lossy robs the DR in post shadow pull)?

Also looking to buy the Hartblei stitch clamp,hence the lightweight body suspended at the adaptor weak  point.

Thanks all.........

10 hours ago, BLACKOUT said:

So is it foolish to go mk1 A7 24 mega pix body with smart adaptor for canon TSE lens for stills.( 24 mp is OK for me, - looking for more dynamic range.Dont want to spend close to $5k AUD for latest Canon 5 iv...)

I'm chasing some shadow detail, just wanting to know if the lossy (think thats Sony's compression name) will screw me over.

Previously had 5d iii and wasn't impressed at all.

Mk1 seems to have more Dynamic Range than Mk 2 bodies.(but useless if lossy robs the DR in post shadow pull)?

Also looking to buy the Hartblei stitch clamp,hence the lightweight body suspended at the adaptor weak  point.

Thanks all.........

im an A7r mk1 owner but i also have access to the mk2. in my experience, you are getting the mk2 for a few reasons/advantages:

1) IBIS, but if you use TSE, then probably doesnt bother you

2) AF, again TSE lens doesnt benefit from it

3) i found my mk1 A7r suffers from shutter vibration problem for lens above 500g. i dont think A7 mk1 has the same problem, but there is some internal reflection problem (for street lights mostly) that may worth looking into.

4) The mk 2 bodies have better colours. i came across Dave Dugdale's video review of the A7rII and i agree with him that the green does bother still images also (only need to watch the first 3 minutes). By the time you fix the green, the yellow will be thrown off abit, very tricky to get it perfectly right. this is particularly bothersome for asian portraits. Also worth pointing out, there was a significant time gap between A7mk2 and A7rmk2/A7Smk2 release date, as such I am not 100% sure to say this green problem is fixed on A7mk2 (i believe the imaging engine is based on mk1 bodies unlike A7r mk2 new's engine).

EDIT: i cant say for sure, but i think the mk2 DR was better than mk1 (on A7r anyway)

EDIT2: i personally think this whole lossy compression topic is abit over blown.... not once i have made the observation/had the feeling while working on my files that i wish it wasnt so compressed.... but i will use lossless/uncompress filing if available. 

10 hours ago, BookMark said:

im an A7r mk1 owner but i also have access to the mk2. in my experience, you are getting the mk2 for a few reasons/advantages:

1) IBIS, but if you use TSE, then probably doesnt bother you

2) AF, again TSE lens doesnt benefit from it

3) i found my mk1 A7r suffers from shutter vibration problem for lens above 500g. i dont think A7 mk1 has the same problem, but there is some internal reflection problem (for street lights mostly) that may worth looking into.

4) The mk 2 bodies have better colours. i came across Dave Dugdale's video review of the A7rII and i agree with him that the green does bother still images also (only need to watch the first 3 minutes). By the time you fix the green, the yellow will be thrown off abit, very tricky to get it perfectly right. this is particularly bothersome for asian portraits. Also worth pointing out, there was a significant time gap between A7mk2 and A7rmk2/A7Smk2 release date, as such I am not 100% sure to say this green problem is fixed on A7mk2 (i believe the imaging engine is based on mk1 bodies unlike A7r mk2 new's engine).

EDIT: i cant say for sure, but i think the mk2 DR was better than mk1 (on A7r anyway)

EDIT2: i personally think this whole lossy compression topic is abit over blown.... not once i have made the observation/had the feeling while working on my files that i wish it wasnt so compressed.... but i will use lossless/uncompress filing if available. 

Bookmark thanks very much for your reply's, looks like the mk11 versions will get the nod.............