Promoting A SoCal Film Festival

fuzzynormal

The BSFF will be hosting a free screening of "Last Days in the Desert" during our festival. The screening happens the afternoon of 01/16/17.  In addition, an after screening Q&A will take place with the director.

http://www.borregospringsfilmfestival.org/about/

To have a film made in my town featuring the upper echelon of cinematic craft is incredible.

Director Rodrigo García, cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, and actor Ewan McGregor; wow, not a bad list.  Obviously, we feel blessed to have hosted this production and, quite frankly, we're still a bit in awe that it happened here.

As y'all probably know, Lubezki has won the Oscar for best cinematographer the last three years in a row.  Birdman, Gravity, The Revenant.  All this talent along with the cast, crew, and location?  Not too shabby.  I'd like to invite any of y'all on the forum that are in this corner of the world (or even if you're not) to drive on over to our festival and attend.  We're trying to become an extremely filmmaker-centric festival, and to have filmmakers there offering their feedback would be very welcome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also, I'd like to open the thread to included the following question:  What's the best and worst film festival experience you've had and why?

For me, the worst experience was walking into a 200 square foot conference room and thinking, "this space is where my film is going to be screened!?"  Then, on top of that, watching the screening get screwed up because a kid couldn't operate a DVD player or the audio system.  And then realizing none of it matter because I was the only person that was going to be there.  

I hope I don't have to explain why that sucked.

7 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Also, I'd like to open the thread to included the following question:  What's the best and worst film festival experience you've had and why?

For me, the worst experience was walking into a 200 square foot conference room and thinking, "this space is where my film is going to be screened!?"  Then, on top of that, watching the screening get screwed up because a kid couldn't operate a DVD player or the audio system.  And then realizing none of it matter because I was the only person that was going to be there.  

I hope I don't have to explain why that sucked.

I just went to my first film festival which.. the first night there were maybe five audience members. Overall they weren't able to screen several films because of technical issues. The people running the program tried to do improv a few times, accepted their own film into the festival (screened it twice), and gave themselves a couple awards. I ended up with like a "thanks for coming by" award. Everyone was nice, buuut.. yeah.

52 minutes ago, Liam said:

I just went to my first film festival which.. the first night there were maybe five audience members. Overall they weren't able to screen several films because of technical issues.

I can't begin to explain how utterly lame and disrespectful many film festivals are these days.  

Sometimes they're nothing more than vanity projects or a cash grab.  The better ones are at least run by earnest people that make an effort within their means, (like ours) but may still come up short.  I've happily endured these types of fests --as long as they have a good heart, but when they're run by people that really don't care about film, it's pretty obvious and it's frustrating.

Ultimately, if I want "nice," I can talk to my mom.

52 minutes ago, Liam said:

I ended up with like a "thanks for coming by" award. Everyone was nice, buuut.. yeah.

Were they able to screen anything of actual merit?  Something, besides your film, that you were happy you watched?  If so, what was it?

57 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I can't begin to explain how utterly lame and disrespectful many film festivals are these days.  

Sometimes they're nothing more than vanity projects or a cash grab.  The better ones are at least run by earnest people that make an effort within their means, (like ours) but may still come up short.  I've happily endured these types of fests --as long as they have a good heart, but when they're run by people that really don't care about film, it's pretty obvious and it's frustrating.

Ultimately, if I want "nice," I can talk to my mom.

Were they able to screen anything of actual merit?  Something, besides your film, that you were happy you watched?  If so, what was it?

yeah, one festival didn't get back to me that I wasn't accepted until the festival ended. and then they wouldn't respond to my emails.. I can only assume they didn't watch my film.

these guys seemed mostly genuine and enthusiastic about the films (I felt some phoniness when it was directed at me though)

they flat out said they chose the "best of fest" based entirely on budget.. which is always nice to hear -_-

a couple good films though! (or at least something in there to like) Sometimes the filmmakers weren't even there, which I feel was a waste, since it was such a small festival already. I'll go ahead and share a couple, since they deserve some views.