ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TRIPOD, OR...

jgharding

A warning to others! Turn your back for a moment and things can go south pretty fast!

This is a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 in two bits!

It seems it broke at the weakest point: THE PLASTIC

The mount ring is metal, the lens body is metal, but the bit inbetween that houses the circuitboards is plastic and just snapped when it hit the ground, taking out the PCB too.

Luckily all the glass is fine, looks like it nees a new plastic rear casing, some ribbons and a PCB.

Still, always best to double check your support gear.

IMG_7599.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sorry to hear that. A good sturdy tripod is worth its weight in gold. I purchased an iFootage Wild Bull T7 carbon fiber tripod about a month ago. I haven't had to add any weight to it, but I have to always be on the alert, because wherever I go here, there are little unsupervised hyperactive kids running around. I put a link because I love this tripod so much!

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Sorry to hear that. A good sturdy tripod is worth its weight in gold. I purchased an iFootage Wild Bull T7 carbon fiber tripod about a month ago. I haven't had to add any weight to it, but I have to always be on the alert, because wherever I go here, there are little unsupervised hyperactive kids running around. I put a link because I love this tripod so much!

This one was a smaller Sachtler model, quite nice but can get top heavy. I think the spreader could have done with being wider. It was either a trailing cable or a loose leg probably... a sand bag on the base likely would have stopped a tumble

I'm always so paranoid about my tripod flopping over, I have a Benro S8 carbon and the head weighs twice as much as the legs, so it feels really top heavy. Fortunately I don't use a spreader and with the legs in the first locking position its rock solid. I still hang my bag on it photo style to keep the center of gravity lower in case the operator (me) bumps it, which frequently happens.

'Check yo stance befoh you wreck yo lens.'

Ouch! :persevere: Sorry to hear man. Hope you can put it back together alright!

Agree with Damphousse! I feel the sorta the same way about batteries. One time nearly fried my GH2 back in the day, because I wanted to be a cheapskate and import the cheapest I could find shitty (DSTE) batteries from China to save a few pennies. What was I thinking? Only quality stuff, man! A good tripod is like a loyal pet that with some love, will accompany you for years to come!

This tripod's pretty good, carbon Sachtler specced for a lot more weight than i had on it, the issues was i think it was knocked, a leg went down as it wasn't tight enough, or a cable got pulled... If I'd weighed it down though, it may have survived! You live and learn.

The 18-35 clearly has a key weak point wehere the slim plastic joing the two metal parts (the main lens and the mount), I have a feeling if it were metal too it may have survived

4 hours ago, jgharding said:

The 18-35 clearly has a key weak point wehere the slim plastic joing the two metal parts (the main lens and the mount), I have a feeling if it were metal too it may have survived

I've seen a couple incidents of the Sony 70-200 splitting in the middle, plastic at failure points sucks when its surrounded by metal. Hopefully a repair isn't too costly.

28d4e135d6054ae2a56be68ed3bb9625.jpeg