The mainstream media needs to be destroyed, and we need to do it.

Ed_David

The media created Trump. The Apprentice. A top ten show in America. Where every week Trump is a smart hero to everyone who wants to make it in America. A successful billionaire to those who don't better. The man who can fire you. A man in his Trump airplane, with his fancy suits and beautiful woman and a vision of success, of the American dream, to those who know nothing better.

The media gave him coverage during the primaries. Nonstop coverage. Waited on him to speak. "Did you hear what he said?" "Did you hear what he tweeted?" Put on the screen his rallies even before he got on the stage. While they gave a third of that coverage to Hillary Clinton, the best choice in defeating the monster.

Trump the monster. They made this monster. Because - he was GREAT for RATINGS. Because he was a carnival backer. Entertaining as hell. It was a fun reality show for everyone! He knew what to say - what soundbytes work. He was a natural extension of our TV culture's endless reality-show culture that has been going on since the 90's.

Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS was quoted as saying in reference to Trump: "It May Not Be Good for America, but It's Damn Good for CBS."

The man who will most likely appoint supreme court judges to destroy Roe vs Wade, the Paris Climate talks, the marriage equality act, and any sort of green energy reform.

So what do we do?

Take away the one thing the mainstream media cares about: their RATINGS.

To sink the news divisions of any mainstream media service that potentially destroyed the planet in exchange for a quick billion dollars.

THIS IS REVENGE for them destroying our future.

It's time to get angry. To not be reserved. These fuckers just took away female reproductive rights because they wanted to buy a new private jet. Why couldn't they get their ratings from their entertainment division? You greedy little fucks.

I am calling on all of you to work on and create alternative new sources and docs and FB videos that steals away their eyeballs. Media that is more engaging and more thoughtful and ethical enough to not resort to ratings grabs above all else. Above human lives.

There are so many causes that need videos - that need larger audiences to get behind - green energy movement, human rights movements, international policy movements, college education movements, b-corporations, local politicians and efforts. Critical looks at the world's major banks and international powers - so much stuff.

We can do this. We have the talent and skillset from our 10,000+ hours of learning and learning and learning to use our powers for good.

Let's get organized. Let's all talk about this.

Let's figure out how to divide up our limited time to do this all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Ed_David  I will keep in mind this is a film forum :)

By the way, thank you for your Samung NX1 short...helped me determine it would be a good camera for what I do (film my family)...

This election cycle, the media gave us TRUMP (the "monster you see") versus CLINTON (the "hidden/corrupt" monster).  I voted against Clinton, for Trump.  Bernie may have won, taping into some of the very same "forgotten" middle class anger that Clinton ignored.  But what do I know...I voted for Ron Paul and John Edwards once :) 

This election cycle, the amount of negativity pushed at you was overwhelming.  No coverage of policies or anything of substance.  Regardless of political view, I feel Americans were short-changed on meaningful content...  Even now, the media is more worried about how their pundits missed "calling" the election right than reporting anything real.  People on the losing side were bound to be hurt, angry and scared...either way.  Even still, mainstream media is doing nothing to bring healing to the land... 

Your call to making informed content, not based on ratings,  is exactly what is needed (how, where to distrubute is another thing altogether)...

I know I'm rambling...just wanted you to know as someone who voted the other way...I share your hatred of the mainstream media and what they fed us for ratings...

57 minutes ago, timmyturntable said:

@Ed_David  I will keep in mind this is a film forum :)

By the way, thank you for your Samung NX1 short...helped me determine it would be a good camera for what I do (film my family)...

This election cycle, the media gave us TRUMP (the "monster you see") versus CLINTON (the "hidden/corrupt" monster).  I voted against Clinton, for Trump.  Bernie may have won, taping into some of the very same "forgotten" middle class anger that Clinton ignored.  But what do I know...I voted for Ron Paul and John Edwards once :) 

This election cycle, the amount of negativity pushed at you was overwhelming.  No coverage of policies or anything of substance.  Regardless of political view, I feel Americans were short-changed on meaningful content...  Even now, the media is more worried about how their pundits missed "calling" the election right than reporting anything real.  People on the losing side were bound to be hurt, angry and scared...either way.  Even still, mainstream media is doing nothing to bring healing to the land... 

Your call to making informed content, not based on ratings,  is exactly what is needed (how, where to distrubute is another thing altogether)...

I know I'm rambling...just wanted you to know as someone who voted the other way...I share your hatred of the mainstream media and what they fed us for ratings...

I am glad for this - for you able to see past your anger for HRC and think this is a good idea.  I think we need to all come together - and I hate HRC too but I am scared for the environment so didn't go Trump (who I think will probably be worse for it than HRC) -

Also yes this is a geeky tech film forum - but our toys are to tell stories -to transmit ideas.  We influence and affect so many people.  I think we should all be aware of the bigger picture.

Anyway thank you.

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

I'm sorry this is so stupid, I don't even know where to begin. Love him or hate him, he received the worst media bias against him than any previous nominee in recent history. 

Did he?  During the primaries?  

No the HRC camp it seems from wikileaks emails had him as a "pied piper" candidate - for them to take seriously.  And seriously they did.  They should have ignored him like during the Romney campaign ignoring the Papa Johns guy.  Not give him 3:1 coverage vs the other candidates and HRC

Exactly, Sanders, and a couple more, for sure. I believe the problem was that people had to vote for Trump, we all know (we that didn't vote for him, because he was ELECTED, do not forget that) how bad he is, but the Clinton family is not the most democratic of the Democrats, so people vote against the "establishment", and Trump and Sanders were the anti-establishment vote, Hilary wasn't.

Right now the world goes left or (far) right, Clinton was center-right, and that was it.

Already Trump - Putin - Erdogan are.forming an unholy alliance, who is going to stop them? And who are going to devour? 

I see that US people do not have the whole idea of how the president of the United States affect the whole planet, maybe you worry about your salaries right now, but aggression and negativity goes around and comes around.

This person supports the idea of teachers teaching with guns and punish women that want to have birth control. Seriously..

1 hour ago, timmyturntable said:

This election cycle, the media gave us TRUMP (the "monster you see") versus CLINTON (the "hidden/corrupt" monster).  I voted against Clinton, for Trump.

Obviously you don't have children.  I feel sorry for my friends who have to explain to their little girls why a man who grabs women by the "pussy" and moves on them like a "bitch" is president and why we must honor our wonderful first lady who paid the bills by working illegally and getting money for taking her clothes off.

And the media didn't give us anything.  Dwayne The Rock Johnson is the the highest paid actor in Hollywood.  I don't think he is a bad guy.  And I am happy for his success.  But if you think the average person on the street is cerebral and thinking stuff through you would be very wrong.

By the way I hope you hate net neutrality, love your old expensive clunky cable box, and really enjoy telcos throttling streaming video that doesn't pay the piper because that is what you just voted for because... emails.

The media is very left leaning.  And Hollywood is obviously an extremist wing of the Democratic party.  The problem is the media is not good at calling out BS and the people are not good at listening when someone tells them they are being BSed.

Mr. Bush, who has pledged ''to restore honor and dignity'' to the White House

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/12/us/2000-campaign-texas-governor-bush-calls-gore-denounce-clinton-affair.html

So basically that party is full of sh-t.

3 hours ago, Ed_David said:

The media created Trump. The Apprentice. A top ten show in America. Where every week Trump is a smart hero to everyone who wants to make it in America. A successful billionaire to those who don't better. The man who can fire you. A man in his Trump airplane, with his fancy suits and beautiful woman and a vision of success, of the American dream, to those who know nothing better.

The media gave him coverage during the primaries. Nonstop coverage. Waited on him to speak. "Did you hear what he said?" "Did you hear what he tweeted?" Put on the screen his rallies even before he got on the stage. While they gave a third of that coverage to Hillary Clinton, the best choice in defeating the monster.

Trump the monster. They made this monster. Because - he was GREAT for RATINGS. Because he was a carnival backer. Entertaining as hell. It was a fun reality show for everyone! He knew what to say - what soundbytes work. He was a natural extension of our TV culture's endless reality-show culture that has been going on since the 90's.

Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS was quoted as saying in reference to Trump: "It May Not Be Good for America, but It's Damn Good for CBS."

The man who will most likely appoint supreme court judges to destroy Roe vs Wade, the Paris Climate talks, the marriage equality act, and any sort of green energy reform.

So what do we do?

To sink the news divisions of any mainstream media service that potentially destroyed the planet in exchange for a quick billion dollars.

THIS IS REVENGE for them destroying our future.

It's time to get angry. To not be reserved. These fuckers just took away female reproductive rights because they wanted to buy a new private jet. Why couldn't they get their ratings from their entertainment division? You greedy little fucks.

I am calling on all of you to work on and create alternative new sources and docs and FB videos that steals away their eyeballs. Media that is more engaging and more thoughtful and ethical enough to not resort to ratings grabs above all else. Above human lives.

There are so many causes that need videos - that need larger audiences to get behind - green energy movement, human rights movements, international policy movements, college education movements, b-corporations, local politicians and efforts. Critical looks at the world's major banks and international powers - so much stuff.

We can do this. We have the talent and skillset from our 10,000+ hours of learning and learning and learning to use our powers for good.

Let's get organized. Let's all talk about this.

Let's figure out how to divide up our limited time to do this all.

The Main Stream Media has become diabolic and evil. And the quality of reporting is worthy of sending reporters and channels to jail for fabrication. It is a phenomenon that isn't endemic to the US alone, in the last few years.

I agree that something must be done about it.  They have blown all morality to the wind. 

The reason why Trump won is because Hillary Clinton and the democratic party tried to force their will on the American public. They stacked the deck against Bernie Sanders and basically cheated him out of the nomination. They then continued to use all of their connections to try and stack the deck against Trump- getting debate questions beforehand, getting sent articles and news reports for editing from the media, etc... If it had not been for wikileaks exposing all of this we probably never would have none what they were trying to do. The DNC, Clinton, and their connections int the media tried to supplant Clinton as president.It wasn't about what the people wanted it was about what they wanted. In doing so they had a canidate who is one of the most corrupt and hated polititans out there. Looking for someone to protest, someone to blame, look no further than the Democratic party. They tried to force Hillary on us, they failed and this is the result. 

@Kisaha You nailed it...the vote I cast was for the lesser of the perceived evils.  Had John Edwards run again (1 known affair to Bill's 20), he would have had my vote :)  Or, anyone who believes in state's rights...which allows local laws to reflect the will of the local people...

The mainstream media pits groups against each other and is creating a hostile enviroment.  The only soundbytes that make it through are the negative or offensive ones.  Most discouraging, as a Trump voter, the mainstream media has identified me as likely racist and uneducated.  It is this very "them bad/us good" reporting that drove voters to the polls in rural areas.  

There is room at the table for everyone...different ideas, opinions, beliefs...it's the only way we form a better union and grow as a country.  

I know in his past life TRUMP was a democrat, then independent and now Republican.  How he will be as president is unknown, but, he can be shown the door by voters if he sucks :) 

@Ed_David Nothing moves people  more than true, geniuine content presented in a way that provokes thought and action.  I wish I had you guys abilities to tell stories and film them so beautifully. 

@timmyturntable we (I) can learn from how kind you're being here, thank you. I do not think you personally are a bad person for voting Trump. I really respect your perspective, that you chose the lesser evil (and your beautiful videos for that matter). But I do not think Trump IS the lesser evil. Maybe your knowledge on the issues has become a problem at some point, as an UNeducated voter can easily point to the racist sex offender candidate who should not be in office. I'm honestly fairly uninformed and would have definitely gone without voting if Trump wasn't running. I've heard bad things about hilary, but maybe the very fact her "monster" was hidden should show you how she would be better as president (though I do not think her offenses were nearly as severe). Her presidency may have gone by mostly unnoticed, but Trump's has already stirred up hate crimes and promised mass deportations of people who call America home. And anyone with a tv or a computer knows America is now run by a monster... very not hidden. It's nice to say "everyone relax, let's love each other," but people are living in fear.. after just a couple days. If this election was about republican vs democrat, I'd have already forgotten. But this ain't good.

Let's be honest, Sanders would have lost by even more than Hillary did. The 50% increases in ObamaCare premiums was a major blow to the Clinton campaign at the end. 

1 hour ago, Ed_David said:

I am glad for this - for you able to see past your anger for HRC and think this is a good idea.  I think we need to all come together - and I hate HRC too but I am scared for the environment so didn't go Trump (who I think will probably be worse for it than HRC) -

Also yes this is a geeky tech film forum - but our toys are to tell stories -to transmit ideas.  We influence and affect so many people.  I think we should all be aware of the bigger picture.

Anyway thank you.

Did he?  During the primaries?  

No the HRC camp it seems from wikileaks emails had him as a "pied piper" candidate - for them to take seriously.  And seriously they did.  They should have ignored him like during the Romney campaign ignoring the Papa Johns guy.  Not give him 3:1 coverage vs the other candidates and HRC

So you believe that the media should pick and choose who they give coverage to as long as it isn't Clinton or Trump... or someone else you disagree with? 

@Liam  Thanks for the kind words (also, about the videos).  

You are right, in a normal year, whoever lost would mope a bit and life would go on.  Trump would do well to reach out to those he offended and has scared...clarify how he will govern (not what he will say for shock value to make the headlines on the news and get free publicity). 

The post-election attacks and hate crimes should be condemened by all, especially Trump.  It's also wrong that we are seeing calls for assassinations on Trump / his family. Hate is still hate and should be called out as such.

No matter how someone voted, they are my American brother / sister...I just wish I could do more to be part of the solution.   I reject the "us good/them bad" slant of the mainstream media and look forward to something like @Ed_David is proposing.

51 minutes ago, mercer said:

Let's be honest, Sanders would have lost by even more than Hillary did. The 50% increases in ObamaCare premiums was a major blow to the Clinton campaign at the end. 

So you believe that the media should pick and choose who they give coverage to as long as it isn't Clinton or Trump... or someone else you disagree with? 

No Mercer, read my original post.  I don't mention Bernie.  Hillary Clinton, the person I voted for and supported with videos and get out the vote, got a third of the coverage that Trump did.

Here's what I wrote:

"The media gave him coverage during the primaries. Nonstop coverage. Waited on him to speak. "Did you hear what he said?" "Did you hear what he tweeted?" Put on the screen his rallies even before he got on the stage. While they gave a third of that coverage to Hillary Clinton, the best choice in defeating the monster."

Media bias -  there's a lot of good docs about this:

Manufacturing Consent, a doc about Noam Chomsky.  Explains mainstream media bias and censorship.  Or Glenn Greenwald just talked about this on Democracy Now.  

Every piece of storytelling - and that's all the news is - storytelling - has bias.  How an article can write about a candidate.

Hillary Clinton was a serious candidate. So was Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, Bernie Sanders.

A lot of serious candidates who deserved more airtime than a man who said Mexico was sending to America their rapists.

Do you think we should give David Duke, the head of the KKK, more airtime? 

2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Obviously you don't have children. 

@Damphousse I actually do have two little girls that I devote my free time to spending time with and making family movies.  

I would never let Trump NEAR them, even if he claims he is different at 70 than at 54.  But, of course, if that was my only voting criteria, it would have also eliminated Bill (I can have any woman I want) Clinton being around them either :)  We can agree here that neither is a picture of morality?  Although, in spite of Bill's "free time with the ladies" while he was in office, some would say he managed the country well.  Mabye Trump can as well.  

But if you think the average person on the street is cerebral and thinking stuff through you would be very wrong.

We agree on this completely.  

And the media didn't give us anything

But, not on this.  It seemed like this year, more than ever, the mainstream media's goal was to showcase how bad/vile/hateful/arrogant/ignorant the candidates were...almost in a celebratory sense.  A hateful tweet should not be the headline for the evening news.  

41 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

Manufacturing Consent, a doc about Noam Chomsky.  Explains mainstream media bias and censorship.  Or Glenn Greenwald just talked about this on Democracy Now.  

Thanks Ed.  I will seek these out and watch these  :)  When the media becomes a tool / vehicle for governments to manipulate the people, we are in trouble...

42 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

So was Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, Bernie Sanders.

I would have felt much less hesitation voting for at least 3 of these guys :(

5 hours ago, Ed_David said:

Finally, for one friggin once, I can agree with you Ed. 

The current "Media Party", as I like to call it, is the most corrupt, hateful, bigoted, racist, greedy, dirty political machine of all time. THEY are the reason we are so divided. And if anyone is not ready to accept that, just ask this one very simple question, "Do they profit more from a united USA, or a divided USA?" Getting us to hate each other makes them loads of money, and it's super easy for them to do. 

Look, fighting the media would be a worthy cause that anyone could get behind. Ed, even I would stand next to you in that fight, side by side. I know right? In fact, I was just going to post something just like this myself. BUT.... you are going to have to lose the "let's left wingers do this for the causes of the left" mentality. We can't talk policy yet. Here's the thing, NOBODY likes the media. Are you getting that? Would you rather have half the population on your side, or ALL OF IT?

And see, once we were successful, once we deadened the media power and finally get a break from the hateful sewage that they spew, we might finally get a chance... to actually listen to each other. No one is saying we have to bend our morals. That would be corrupt. What I'm saying is that if the two halves could actually speak, without the media getting us emotionally charged, we may find there was middle ground we didn't even know we had, that both sides could acceptably and peacefully live with. 

If that's something you were interested in, call me your brother in arms. I'm in!

44 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

What I'm saying is that if the two halves could actually speak, without the media getting us emotionally charged, we may find there was middle ground we didn't even know we had, that both sides could acceptably and peacefully live with. 

Well said...we may even find out we were never really "two halves" to begin with...more like "four quarters" :)

36 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

"Do they profit more from a united USA, or a divided USA?" Getting us to hate each other makes them loads of money, and it's super easy for them to do.

As storytellers, let's consider that the "media" is always chasing good narrative thus they're chasing conflict.  It's what we all do as filmmakers, if we're any good at our profession.  Considering that parallel, it's not difficult to see why hard journalism based on straight-facts is more or less dead.  How boring, right?  It's not because good journalism doesn't get accomplished, but because not enough people respect it anymore or pay it any mind.

Worse yet, many viewers and readers don't even distinguish between an Hannity, Maddow, or O'Reillly as opinion pundits vs. actual journalist.  Less respect should be given to online info-tainment ideological websites.  It's all an imbroglio, but I don't know if we should blame the media as much as ourselves.

Information outlets seldom worry about objectivity these days simply because there's not enough viewers, ratings, or clicks in doing things that way.  Why do they do it?  Because we ask for it that way.  They know EXACTLY what we want and what we're asking for.  Believe me, they're doing all they can just to cater to us.  They're a mess because we are as well.   

Actual journalism has marginalized to the corners of media organizations.  It's there to lend legitimacy to their more popular opinion commentators, but make no mistake, the end game is to sell advertising.  It's not to put forward integrity anymore.  If that was the case CNN/MSNBC/FNC would hide in shame.

Those are broad strokes.  There are a few authentic sources out there, but a consumer needs to be savvy about the game being played and search them out.  Typically we don't.

For me, this whole discussion can devolve into an existential plight, and a serious reflection of what the health of the republic actually is --for I believe that we ultimately get what we ask for.  And we, like all humans, turn to a strongman when life gets challenging.  Not because it's smart or a healthy thing to do, but because there's easy comfort in it.