anamorphic for NX1

keessie65

Hi, I am a newbe here, filming is for me just a hobby. Now I am looking for a nice Anamorphic lens. Perhaps there is a NX1 user that can recommend a set-up. I would go to 1:2.66 of 1:2.35. So I think about a 1.5x lens. They are very rare, but perhaps at the forum someone who can help me, or someone who can do me an offer.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use NX1 with a Kowa 16-H/8Z. My personal opinion is that 2X looks by far the best. Otherwise, just shoot spherical, crop, and add some barrel distortion in post.

with the UHD capabilities of the NX1, cropping off the sides to get 2.35 or 2.66 is really no great loss. 

The Kowa is among THE best anamorphic glass, period. Full stop. Add a Rangefinder or Rectilux, and it also becomes a versatile and useable professional tool.

2 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Do I need the Kowa for Bell & Howell or is the Kowa Prominar 8z exactly the same? The Prominar is much cheaper. I cannot find on Internet that both lenses are the same. Is there difference between them?

The Kowa BH is overpriced and in terms of sharpness, the prominars are better. Sankor is a great alternative as well.

I personally like the look of the 1.5x anamorphics. I own a 2x ana lens, but I'll pick a 1.33x & a 1.5x as well, get the right lens for the right job.

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

The Kowa BH is overpriced and in terms of sharpness, the prominars are better. Sankor is a great alternative as well.

I personally like the look of the 1.5x anamorphics. I own a 2x ana lens, but I'll pick a 1.33x & a 1.5x as well, get the right lens for the right job.

Thank you. I think I saw a Bolex on your website. I like that one, but its very rare and expensive... Is it easy to work with that lens?

9 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Thank you. I think I saw a Bolex on your website. I like that one, but its very rare and expensive... Is it easy to work with that lens?

The Bolex is sold by now, I only have an one 2x ana for sale. 

The bolex was really nice, but there is no perfect lens, every lens has its down and upsides. The bolex had awesome IQ, sharp at f2, but was really bad at infinity focusing (had to stop down). I wasn't afraid to use it on a run & gun gig.

But like Caleb wrote with the UHD you can crop the image to your needs. If you're looking for a lens that is easy to work with (no rack focus) and it's sharp, you'll have to get some funds. If you just want to try it out, or do some artistic filming, where you have the time to set up everything, get a Prominar for 300 euros, or an ISCO which is pretty sharp, or a Sankor. 

36 minutes ago, ken said:

At infinity with small aperture, still have some darkness, not so perfect as 16h.  It is perfect with 100mm on FF, except flare.

On Canon APS-C I can do w/o vignetting full sensor at 50 @ f/1.8 and close focus-> Which makes 80mm on fullframe If I'm not missing something. Am I ? :s
Which Ultrastar are you talking about, the small one or the big one ? (I have the small one)

But of course, the 16H is a great option if you can find one :)

1 hour ago, Justin Bacle said:

On Canon APS-C I can do w/o vignetting full sensor at 50 @ f/1.8 and close focus-> Which makes 80mm on fullframe If I'm not missing something. Am I ? :s
Which Ultrastar are you talking about, the small one or the big one ? (I have the small one)

What I used is for photos.  So use up 3:2 cmos.  Yes for video, 16:9 mode would be less vignettes.  So I believe ok for 85mm.   We are taking the same lens, integrated lens, small one.

2 hours ago, christrad said:

An example of the Kowa for Bell & Howell on the nx1 (talking lens Konica-Hexanon 40mm f/1.8) :

Thanks all fort the advises! I think I will go for the Kowa Prominar 8z / 16h. But question tot Christrad, if you film slowmo in NX1, it is HD quality at 1080. When you crop to 1:2.35, you will drop your quality seriously.... How bad is that?

And to all, I do not hear any advise for a Iscorama 1.5?

18 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Thanks all fort the advises! I think I will go for the Kowa Prominar 8z / 16h. But question tot Christrad, if you film slowmo in NX1, it is HD quality at 1080. When you crop to 1:2.35, you will drop your quality seriously.... How bad is that?

Pretty bad when you have to upscale 1080p slowmo to 4K. That's why I don't crop when in slowmo like in this video and others

21 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

Now I can tell you the key difference of these two lens. :grin:

The rear elements are basically the same size, very close.  But the front's difference are huge, 16h is much thicker, twice in weight.  

isco_16h.jpg

On 11/12/2016 at 9:49 PM, ken said:

What I used is for photos.  So use up 3:2 cmos.  Yes for video, 16:9 mode would be less vignettes.  So I believe ok for 85mm.   We are taking the same lens, integrated lens, small one.

I shoot 3:2 Full Sensor Raw on the 50D (because I can :D) without vignetting with a 50/1.8 Fujinon with the Ulstrastar. I'll check with other lenses, too see if the fujinon is a special case ;)