So what ever happened to 1080p?

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its looking like it can't hurt to pick up a 5D for the raw video. Guess I can always use the xc10 for quick 1080p turnover time 

Can't lie the 5D raw has some of the best IQ I have seen 

37 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

The XC10's 1080p is quite compressed and has a lot of artifacts. Its 4K downscaled to 1080, however, is lovely and stands up to moderate grading quite well. 

But of course, the motion ghosting that we've been going on about here a bit lately precludes it as a serious contender for image quality. 

Maybe its the diffusion filter I am using but I don't see a lot of artifacts in the 1080 image when using C-LOG and Cinema EOS standard. The in camera sharpening from the other profiles like WDR in 1080 looks terrible though.

Praying they tackle the ghosting issues with the xc10 but for now at 1000 iso and lower the 1080p is good enough for the web with a good finishing filter on the lens like a tiffen black satin

On 11/9/2016 at 8:37 AM, bigfried said:

RX100 IV - 1080 at 100mbsp - flat profiles, stabilized.

Interesting mention. On my D750 I currently have a set of Ai-S primes from 20 to 105mm and a nifty AF-D 50 1.8, and I was thinking of getting a stabilized all-round zoom mostly for run n' gun doc, travel shit and casual stills but for a price similar to the Tamron 24-70, Sigma 24-105 or Nikon 24-120 here I can get the RX100 IV that could be used for that kind of stuff and also compliment the D750 as a B camera with nice Full HD HFR. Would that make sense?

On 3 Nov 2016 at 6:31 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

I've found that because of the focus on 4k, manufacturers are putting out poor 1080p modes - which are actually worse than what they were before 4k hit the market. The A7SII for example, has a worse 1080p mode than the original. 

..really how so exactly? both use same sensor and XAVC-S? in my experience the A7SII 1080p is pretty awesome IQ wise when exposed right.

As for 5D3 Raw vs C100, I've recently shot with both on multi-cam project. The C100 is actually sharper (as it's a downscaled 4K sensor) so in many shots we favoured it, especially for small punch-in edits.. 5D3 Raw has this filmic quality though.. makes other cams feel "video-ish" so sharpness isn't necessarily everything. But when you compare the file sizes and workflow, it's quite amazing what the C100 provides via it's 24mbps codec! (even though i am going to add an atomos as i hate AVCHD container format).

2 hours ago, Django said:

..really how so exactly? both use same sensor and XAVC-S? in my experience the A7SII 1080p is pretty awesome IQ wise when exposed right.

As for 5D3 Raw vs C100, I've recently shot with both on multi-cam project. The C100 is actually sharper (as it's a downscaled 4K sensor) so in many shots we favoured it, especially for small punch-in edits.. 5D3 Raw has this filmic quality though.. makes other cams feel "video-ish" so sharpness isn't necessarily everything. But when you compare the file sizes and workflow, it's quite amazing what the C100 provides via it's 24mbps codec! (even though i am going to add an atomos as i hate AVCHD container format).

The A7SII 1080p is fine, I've used it often for 50/60fps. It's not as good as the original A7S 1080p, but the difference isn't much. Also the A7S 1080p is full frame, whereas the Mark II is S35. 

This only applies to cameras that ALSO have a normal 4k setting, not the cameras that have 1080p at the highest resolution. 

The only special case is the FS5, which has a "better than the 4k" 1080p mode. Internal of course. 

16 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The A7SII 1080p is fine, I've used it often for 50/60fps. It's not as good as the original A7S 1080p, but the difference isn't much. Also the A7S 1080p is full frame, whereas the Mark II is S35. 

I'm sorry but this information is incorrect. The A7SII is absolutely full frame in 1080p. It's also imo superior to mark 1 in S-Log as it allows much lower base ISO.

I think you might be confusing with A7RII which has a non full-readout S35 mode in 1080p.

12 minutes ago, Django said:

I'm sorry but this information is incorrect. The A7SII is absolutely full frame in 1080p. It's also imo superior to mark 1 in S-Log as it allows much lower base ISO.

I think you might be confusing with A7RII which has a non full-readout S35 mode in 1080p.

Ah, maybe I'm getting confused. 

50/60fps is in s35 only, whereas 120fps is 2.2x. 

What camera has better 1080p than another could be debated non-stop, it doesn't really matter that much.