So what ever happened to 1080p?

mercer

51 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

The 4K implementation of these consumer cameras make 4K seem highly overrated. I used to drool over all that resolution until I noticed my clients & fans gravitated more towards the color of the image and then the dynamic range. I deliver everything in 1080p and get most of my traffic from IG so now a good 1080p camera is essential. there have been movies shot with a 5D mark 2 that look incredible.

Question : what is the best 1080p camera on the market right now ? That new canon mirrorless looks promising

I have been interested in 1080p solely for a while now. To me it seems any 1080p Raw is great. 5dmkiii ML Raw will probably have the most dynamic range and best color.

But so far the Nikon 1080p has been my favorite. The Flat Profile is just awesome. So if you want full frame, the D750. If you want aps-c (S35) then I would say the D5500 for a great simple camera. The issue with it is there are no exposure aids with manual lenses. The D7200 will give you zebras and meter with ai-s lenses but the 60p crops an extra 1.3x over the normal 1.5x crop of aps-c. The 24p is normal aps-c though. The 5500 only crops the aps-c crop in 24p and 60p. And then there's the flagship aps-c... The D500 that has 4K with a big crop but the 1080p modes all look good and they have IBIS... I think it's digital IS though. 

Also if you want great 1080p with C-Log and DPAF, there's always the C100ii. If you don't need the DPAF or 60p, get the regular C100.

Edit: I originally wrote the D7200 will give you peaking... I meant to write zebras. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

best for what? :) 

Best overal image quality.

Ideally a camera with a 1080p full pixel readout Or little to no moire. I don't need framerates beyond 60p so keep that in mind ?

I've had my eye on a 5D for a while now @mercer but really I want something I can take the file straight off the camera and load it on an iPad to show clients

Also @John Brawley recently posted a beautiful video with the... I believe it was the... em5mkii. So maybe the Olympus is a good option too. But I think he used an external recorder with it... Which is always an option as well. But it has that amazing Olympus IBIS and a Flat profile that seems pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Ideally a camera with a 1080p full pixel readout Or little to no moire. I don't need framerates beyond 60p so keep that in mind ?

I've had my eye on a 5D for a while now @mercer but really I want something I can take the file straight off the camera and load it on an iPad to show clients

With wi-fi? 

Because with MLRawViewer, the process is pretty painless for dailies. Open the files, view and correct WB, you can even add a couple LUTS, but I think they are limited and then export to prores, mov, or dng..

@kidzrevil you needed a C100markII from the beginning! A few months ago I did a documentary series for a small TV station, in the northern part of Greece (Macedonia and Thrace territories, I am not even sure if you know where Greece is!) , 12-14 hours of work per day/ a lot of miles/6 days a week for a full month (and a bit).

I could choose between a dozen of cameras (GH4/5D markII and III/Canon 70D/a couple of Sony 1/3inch video cameras/C300/my NX kit/ e.t.c) I didn't even think about it, I grabbed a C100markII, an 18-135 STM, and a couple of primes (I never used one, never, we had 4-7 locations every day, and it was me and a producer/driver type of guy).

I was sending the footage every week, and the people in our base had to edit a whole episode in a few days, so, no really time for post.

I believe this project was only possible because of the C100.

4 hours ago, Chris Oh said:

huh. that m5 has same sensor as 80D and DPAF, without the bulk. but, this on product description.

"The MP4 format’s small file size lets you fit more on a single memory card, and makes downloading and sharing quick and easy."

I believe the M5 shoots MP4 at35 mbps, in other words the same format that is used in their consumer camcorders.

2 minutes ago, tugela said:

I believe the M5 shoots MP4 at35 mbps, in other words the same format that is used in their consumer camcorders.

Just now, mercer said:
3 minutes ago, tugela said:

Yes, I believe the M series is now a part of their compact division. 

This video was taken with a G7X MKii. This camera doesn't even have DPAF and it does a pretty good job with the touchscreen focus... Btw, this is not my video...

Honestly, I don't think it looks too bad. And the M5 should look even better. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Oh said:

Used, my kids. no ef  lenses. old Minolta primes. just trying to think creatively.

I know you've mentioned a few other cameras as well lately. Would the M take the place of that camera, or would it be in addition to?

Btw, I love old, Minolta primes. They meld nicely with the M series of cameras. I have a small collection. Stupidly, I sold my 35mm 1.8, which is probably my favorite lens of all time. If you don't already have it, you should be on the lookout for one. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Oh said:

Yeah. as you can tell, haven't quite figured it out yet. panasonic would definitely be my main cam. Just thinking I can play around with a Canon since I got a buddy with ef lenses. 

Okay, gotcha. The Panasonics are great. If you want 4K or need it, the GX85, or G80 will be great. The GM5 is supposed to be great, Jase got some awesome footage with his GM1, but for the price of a GM5, I would consider a GH3, they can be found pretty cheap nowadays and they have a couple extra features the GM cameras don't have. Just some thoughts. Do what suits you best. 

As far as the M is concerned, to use EF lenses, you will need the Canon EF to EF-M adapter... I think it costs a hundred bucks. Honestly, if you just want it for messing around and family videos, I would look for the M10 or M3... I bought a new body from Japan for less than $200. It has a flip screen and focus peaking and is just a fun camera. The AF is probably better than the original M as well. But with the original M you can load Magic Lantern on it and get a bunch of extra hacked features that are pretty fun too. 

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I think the D750 and XC10/15 are up there for 1080p image quality.  My pick for colour if you don't need high frame rates is digital bolex with global shutter, otherwise 5D mark iii raw.