I'm thinking of getting the Fuji X-T2 for stills and a bit of video - advice?

Oliver Daniel

If you are using the camera primarily for stills, you might be happier with a DSLR.

There is an advantage to shooting stills with a optical viewfinder, and then viewing the shot immediately afterward, and then making adjustments.  One's concentration is forced into a step-by-step process.  In other words, the disconnect between the viewfinder and the LCD image helps when assessing the photo just taken.

Plus, an optical viewfinder works well in low light, especially if you are using strobes (without modeling lamps).

Also, DSLRs tend to have longer battery life, because there is no need to have the LCD and sensor constantly on and energized.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Chris Oh said:

Will the M5 have the same 96mbps 1080p video, as the 80d?

Nope. That was the deal breaker for me. I love the M line. I have the M1 and the M10... And the M10 is great. It has the best focus peaking I have ever used.

I don't shoot stills and I don't own any M or EF lenses, so the DPAF is irrelevant for me. But with that being said, if you have a story to tell, it will work great. They are well designed cameras, with that great Canon color and the DPAF is awesome. The IS should work great as it does with the XC10. 

55 minutes ago, mercer said:

Nope. That was the deal breaker for me. I love the M line. I have the M1 and the M10... And the M10 is great. It has the best focus peaking I have ever used.

I don't shoot stills and I don't own any M or EF lenses, so the DPAF is irrelevant for me. But with that being said, if you have a story to tell, it will work great. They are well designed cameras, with that great Canon color and the DPAF is awesome. The IS should work great as it does with the XC10. 

EOS M5: no 3x crop mode with 1:1 sensor output (full pixel output of a cropped region) and (no) AWB White priority like 80D. Not sure about 'adjust. audio levels' while recording is in progress. M5 User Guide:http://search-asia.canon-asia.com/canon__asia_en__asia_p_en/search.x?ct=Support&hf=category%09zubaken&cf=model_sm:EOS+M5&d=MANUALS

I'm a massive Fuji fanboy. I've used X-series cameras since the X Pro1 and love love love love them, quirks and all. The newer models like the XPro2 / XT2 are now so refined that shooting with them is a pleasure. The older models are much slower and have more gotchas but are still soulful machines. It's not an exaggeration to say they've changed my perspective on photography.

Personally, I'm not wild about the X-T2 video but if it suits you then great. Lenswise, all of the primes are optically amazing but only the XF14mm and XF23mm have mechanical focus rings. The rest are all focus by wire if I recall correctly. Some are definitely easier to manual focus than others, the XF18mm is fine, the XF56mm is much harder. Like people have said above the 18-55 is a must buy if you are doing handheld video. It's likeweight, optically fabulous, great stabilisation and super cheap used.

One final thing - buy loads and loads of batteries. On a wedding with the X100T and XPro 2 I'll get through around 10 a day!

To me, it would all come down to lenses.

With the Fuji, you would have to factor in new lenses but with some other cameras you wouldn't have to buy as many.

The Canon 80D would be a good choice as you could use your EF lenses straight.

M4/3 and you can have great compatibility depending on the combinations.      There are smart adapters from Metabones (including focal reducer and non focal reducer) and Kipon (non focal reducer).        AFS at least with many combinations is close to native and I think that at least some combinations with Metabones can also work for AFC (I have not tried the Metabones M4/3 adapters but do have the Kipon and a now aging GX7 and love it with lenses like my Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro, EF 100 f2, 40 2.8 STM, 18-55 IS ii APSC kit lens and loved it with my (sold) EF 135 f2 L).      It doesn't work at all (can not use) with a really ancient 28-90 kit lens from a EOS film camera I got for cheap from a charity shop to play with.

Sony has lots of smart adapters for EF lenses and these range from cheap to expensive (I have four different ones).      With Sony, AF depends on the camera more than anything.

With the first generation Sony cameras generally, it is AFS only and slow (fast enough for me often enough for portraits of patient adults or ducks on a pond or static subjects)      With later cameras, it seems it can be a lot faster.       

I have only used first gen Sony cameras (A7s is still my all time favourite camera) and I love it with the same lenses I use on the GX7)      Even that 28-90 cheapie works (slow AFS) with a cheap adapter and the 18-55 APSC kit lens works FF from about 24mm up as well as having a APSC crop mode that is still slightly wider than used on Canon cameras (1.6 VS 1.5).

I got most of my Canon lenses to use on both FF E mount AND M4/3 with just a few native lenses for each (have sold most of my native M4/3 lenses).     I did also use them on a Canon DSLR but sold that.

I MUCH prefer an EVF now and it is much better in low light for me with the A7s than any OVF (have used dozens of them).

For video, probably better sticking with native lenses for now unless using manual focus for video (though that may well be different soon enough).

TLDR:     Both Sony E and M4/3 work well with Canon EF lenses and can save you money on duplicating lenses.       

On 11/4/2016 at 4:48 AM, Inazuma said:

I have had the 23mm f1.4 for about two months now (using it on the X-T10). Really beautiful images from it. I've yet to actually process any raws on my computer - the jpegs are that good. I did have the XT2 briefly before that but decided to return it until it became cheaper. I was hoping for better AF performance/usability in video. 

Before the 23mm I used the 35mm f1.4. The image from this lens is also really nice and it produces a wonderful rainbow flare. But the AF on it is very poor by today's standards. 

The 18-55mm f2.8-4 is also a nice lens. Good images, AF, stabilisation. 

Having said all that im currently eyeing up an EOS M5. You might want to consider it as well since you have lots of EF lenses. No 4k and even the 1080p is mediocre but seems like the usability will be much better that the XT2 due to the body shape and touch screen. Also it has digital stabilisation like the NX1 did. Not ideal but better than nothing (maybe).  

Do you have any video samples taken with the X-T10... and a flickr page with photo samples?

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Do you have any video samples taken with the X-T10... and a flickr page with photo samples?

Video on the X-T10? Really not worth even thinking about. The footage and controls are awful.

I don't really upload my photos as much as I used to but here are a few from the X-T10 as well as the X-T1 and X100s which I had for very briefly https://www.flickr.com/photos/scastilho/sets/72157676229345106

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Video on the X-T10? Really not worth even thinking about. The footage and controls are awful.

I don't really upload my photos as much as I used to but here are a few from the X-T10 as well as the X-T1 and X100s which I had for very briefly https://www.flickr.com/photos/scastilho/sets/72157676229345106

Thanks Inazuma. I had seen a couple vids that weren't too bad. I saw one XA2 video that was pretty good as well, so I wasn't sure. Those colors are amazing. 

7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I found this video taken with an old c-mount. I don't think it looks that bad. What is bad about the controls?

im in the same boat. i mostly shoot stills and i have been fuji user (for still) since S3 pro. but since their recent line up cost more and more (not saying it is wrong to do so), i havent made the jump to XT2 yet. at the same time, oly EM1 mk ii with 12-100mm seems like a good one lens setup. my own observation tells me, oly is good at accurate color while fuji always give pleasing color.... i guess i will have to wait and see more reviews/samples.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I found this video taken with an old c-mount. I don't think it looks that bad. What is bad about the controls?

Hmm it's sharper than I thought. But there is a huge amount of moire and aliasing.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=fujifilm_xt1&attr29_1=nikon_d5500&attr72_0=1080&attr72_1=1080&normalization=full&widget=427&x=-0.5600991297665953&y=0.142551466145631

Also I'm not sure exactly but I don't think there are any manual controls of exposure.

BTW the XA2 doesn't use the X-trans sensor, so the video may be better on it.

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Hmm it's sharper than I thought. But there is a huge amount of moire and aliasing.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=fujifilm_xt1&attr29_1=nikon_d5500&attr72_0=1080&attr72_1=1080&normalization=full&widget=427&x=-0.5600991297665953&y=0.142551466145631

Also I'm not sure exactly but I don't think there are any manual controls of exposure.

BTW the XA2 doesn't use the X-trans sensor, so the video may be better on it.

I watched it on my phone, so the moire and aliasing went a little unnoticed. I just love the colors coming out of these film simulations, and in some ways the flaws in these older models, add to the lo-fi look of it. 

Late to this thread, but I HIGHLY recommend the XT2 for photos. I have the XT1 and I love it so much that I haven't used a Canon or M43 camera since. Video is pretty decent although there are better options but if you use the Fuji stocks like Provia you'll have amazing colors right out of the camera. 90% of the time I don't even edit my photos from the XT1 b/c the color is so terrific.