12 or 10-bit RAW Magic Lantern!!!!

Katrikura

3k, full frame raw for around 1200€. If they manage to make ML work on a M5 or 80d that would be great too. Especially if a speedbooster for eos-m is made. There's one for nikon lens. but a full pass through EF electronic one would be amazing (already there i t seems - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EOS-EOSM-Focal-reducer-Auto-focus-adapter-EF-EFM-EF-to-EFM-EOS-to-EOSM-Booster-/302121416302?hash=item4657d6f66e:g:jj0AAOSwPhdVPkMd). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you read the last page of the ML Forum post:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg174310#msg174310

It clearly states that there is more work to be done:

"As a1ex has alluded to, the entire ML raw backend is basically hardcoded to only handle 14 bit raw data, so preview, playback and all that are not going to be working correctly. Fixing them is a lot of work (lots of tedious bit math), but should be pretty straight forward and requires no reverse engineering. I had a quick go at the preview code, but I'm not sure I understand all the transformations correctly. The result was starting to resemble the correct image but still very garbled."

But if you want to try it has been compiled & can be downloaded here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg174310#msg174310

Just tried it on 60D & get 11/12 seconds in 10bit DR!

If you've got a 5D3, this is what you can get:

"So i tried 3K 2,35:1 23,975fps- 14 bits - 134 frames
                                               -12 bit - 294 frames
                                               -10 bit - over 3 minutes recording, didnt check longer
1920x648 (16:9 after stretch) 60 fps     -14 bit 308 frames
                                                            - 10bit 1425 frames
1920x648 50fps seems to be continous in 10 bit.

1920x1080 37fps - 14bit - 239 frames
                             - 10bit - over minute, didnt check longer.

highest possible resolution 3584x1320 23,976 10bit - 160 frames (vs 61 with 14bits)."

1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Just tried it on 60D & get 11/12 seconds in 10bit DR!

If you've got a 5D3, this is what you can get:

"So i tried 3K 2,35:1 23,975fps- 14 bits - 134 frames
                                               -12 bit - 294 frames
                                               -10 bit - over 3 minutes recording, didnt check longer
1920x648 (16:9 after stretch) 60 fps     -14 bit 308 frames
                                                            - 10bit 1425 frames
1920x648 50fps seems to be continous in 10 bit.

1920x1080 37fps - 14bit - 239 frames
                             - 10bit - over minute, didnt check longer.

highest possible resolution 3584x1320 23,976 10bit - 160 frames (vs 61 with 14bits)."

Have you processed any of it... Would love to see it. 

And were you getting full 1080p for 11/12 seconds?

3 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thx and 12 bit?

Add a stop for each additional bit.

Also, Canon raw has a high black level, as well as some (tinted) headroom above the nominal white level. Truncated Canon 12-bit linear would actually be around 11.5 bits.

20 minutes ago, cpc said:

Add a stop for each additional bit.

Also, Canon raw has a high black level, as well as some (tinted) headroom above the nominal white level. Truncated Canon 12-bit linear would actually be around 11.5 bits.

can I do some color grading applying luts in raw 10bit and 12bit without seeing the rise of artifacts over the image quality? I mean only color so not pushing up esposure or simulating the increment of f stop. thx

5 hours ago, cpc said:

Not enough usable dynamic range. Around 6-7 stops.

Here's a comparison at ISO 100, exposed to protect highlights, 2560x1072 (14 bit gives 28 seconds, 10 bit is continuous) in greyscale crop mode. I lifted the shadows a bit to see into the blacks. 14 bit is top left, 10 bit is bottom right.

10bit_0_00_00_00.jpg

Try 3 pairs of DNGs here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1exEpCRAfgFNUNVZVRYN0ZkSms

I think that 10bit will work really well, as long as there's nothing you need to pull out of the noise floor. Remember that the 2K DCI spec for Cinemascope is 2048x858... which is 80% of the above res. This allows for a significant amount of re-composing / stabilising / downscaling for increased resolution.

Interestingly, both types of DNG are the same size in bytes - don't know what's going on there.

20 hours ago, mercer said:

Have you processed any of it... Would love to see it. 

And were you getting full 1080p for 11/12 seconds?

For the 60D it isn't full HD, as it was originally (1728x927), so close enough to deliver in 1080.

The main thing is that it is twice the recording time that it was - 11/12 secs, compared to 6 secs.

Just had a quick mess around yesterday & it all looked fine - not bothered about losing DR, as I don't need it.

11 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Remember that the 2K DCI spec for Cinemascope is 2048x858... which is 80% of the above res.

This is the most important thing for me, es[ecially when shooting Anamorphic

So, I'm not a technical guy, but this sounds incredible. I could imagine slight panic at Canon HQ as their years-old camera's are to be turned into 10/12 bit RAW HD+ machines. Insane.

Just hope that this is not the tipping point for them to go after the ML guys, law suits and all.

Links are here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg174306#msg174306

You're looking for:

raw_video_10bit_12bit_2016Nov04.zip

Previous experience with ML will be necessary. Use the raw-rec module rather than mlv_rec (you still get MLVs)

57 minutes ago, Django said:

3 minutes of raw 3K on the 5D3..

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. 2880x1206 (Cinemascope ratio) @ 24fps 10bit is 99.3MB/s and I think the 5D3 tops out at 100MB/s no matter how fast your card is. Also max vertical resolution is 1320, so anything higher than 2340 can no longer be 16:9 ratio FYI.

2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

I could imagine slight panic at Canon HQ as their years-old camera's are to be turned into 10/12 bit RAW HD+ machines. Insane.

I think if they were going to panic they would've panicked when ML brought full HD 14bit RAW to the Mk3 and smaller resolutions to countless other EOS cams. This new development is welcome, but to put it in context it basically gives a boost of 29% to achievable frame rates or resolutions for existing ML cameras.

ML has a steep learning curve when it comes to installation and workflow, and requires an investment in fast high capacity cards and storage, but once you have it nailed you're golden. I find it very difficult to be impressed by compressed footage from any cam after shooting 5D3 MLRAW for the last year.

4 hours ago, Django said:

this is pretty insane.. 3 minutes of raw 3K on the 5D3.. OMG .. so how can i try this on my 5D3? or is it still in beta for advanced users?

Here, someone has compiled for loads of cameras:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

"raw_video_10bit_12bit_2016Nov04.zip" is the one to download & then you choose your camera model - once you unpack the zip file.

Also note that you need to set inside the RAW menu to Greyscale viewing