Premiere Pro CC 2017 Released

jcs

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features.html

2015.3 (10.4.0) was very buggy, reverted to 10.3.0- has been much more stable. With latest Creative Cloud don't see 10.3.0 as an option to revert back to. Hopefully 2017 fixes cumulative bugs without adding new ones (waiting to update after hearing there are less bugs).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

2015.3 works on my PC somewhat smoothly.  On my Mac it has the strange "conforming" bug.  

Not the most elegant software, I admit, but it's like a supped-up cheap Japanese sedan running on a race track.  It can do what it does half way decently.  However, it just feels like it might fly apart at any given moment and wasn't engineered to handle the stress put on it.

I never feel like I can totally trust it.  FCP7 had a lot of limitations, but it felt solid within its parameters.

Maybe with Premiere I just need to add a huge spoiler to the back of the hatch?  That outta do it.

Yeah hopefully it's more stable. 2015.3 for the most part was stable for me, but on one project last week, out of nowhere, it was freezing, stuttering, crashing, giving me errors, using an insane amount of RAM... I don't know what unholy combination  of plugins, proxies, and footage from different cameras in that particular project combined in such a hellish way to make it behave like that, but I was about ready to throw my computer out the window. Fingers crossed here. 

@fuzzynormal that's about right lol. Examining their source code when writing plugins it's clear they need a complete from-scratch rewrite, ideally combining After Effects and PP into one program (HitFilm gives an idea what this can look like). Latest FCPX looks really nice and is much more stable and far faster with 4K than PP CC. Resolve is also coming along nicely (still a ways off from being a full blown NLE to compete with FCPX and PP CC).

@Parker 2015.3 10.4.0 has a huge memory leak (also happens on Windows, so it's core code, not OS specific). 10.3.0 leaks less often. Another issue has been NVidia drivers- it should not be possible to bring the OS down on a crash (this can happen when using OpenCL. CUDA never crashes the OS but exhibits the 'black screen' bug where after a while the view goes and stays black until PP is restarted).

Everything we do currently uses green screen and compositing (Ultra for keying)- appears to cause more problems for PP CC than simple edits.

@raf702 thanks for the report. Let us know if you find any issues.

I've recently made the switch to Resolve.

Just to many small problems with premiere over time that I got sick of dealing with. The crashes, the rendering errors (certain codecs render only with CPU, H265 renders in the wrong range, etc. ) and just the disorganization of basic tasks just have driven me away. I agree that they need a full re-write of the software.

I'm doing my audio edits outside resolve now though, hope that's the next part of the software they upgrade, as it's the one thing I think that Resolve lacks in comparison to Premiere.

4 hours ago, jcs said:

@fuzzynormal that's about right lol. Examining their source code when writing plugins it's clear they need a complete from-scratch rewrite, ideally combining After Effects and PP into one program (HitFilm gives an idea what this can look like). Latest FCPX looks really nice and is much more stable and far faster with 4K than PP CC. Resolve is also coming along nicely (still a ways off from being a full blown NLE to compete with FCPX and PP CC).

@Parker 2015.3 10.4.0 has a huge memory leak (also happens on Windows, so it's core code, not OS specific). 10.3.0 leaks less often. Another issue has been NVidia drivers- it should not be possible to bring the OS down on a crash (this can happen when using OpenCL. CUDA never crashes the OS but exhibits the 'black screen' bug where after a while the view goes and stays black until PP is restarted).

Everything we do currently uses green screen and compositing (Ultra for keying)- appears to cause more problems for PP CC than simple edits.

@raf702 thanks for the report. Let us know if you find any issues.

Film convert stuffs PP CC for me big time. Looking forward to trying this new one on the weekend.

Can anyone comment on whether editing XAVCS h264 is any faster on Premiere Pro CC 2017?  Still wishing we could get instant scrubbing / play head placement.  I do see this in the features:

Accelerated Dynamic Link

Faster performance reduces the need for intermediate rendering and delivers higher frame rates during playback.

3 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I'm just proxy-ing everything. The new feature added to 2015.3 (10.4.0) made it a breeze, even with the occasional buggy hiccup. I saw they were also adding a button that would turn off all effects, which should also help with making (and keeping) everything a little more responsive.

I agree, the new proxy system has been a breeze, especially since for the most part I'm editing super high-bitrate h.265, which tends to bog my machine down once I get some effects and color correction on there. Toggling that little button keeps things nice and smooth, and is really simple to use. 

I started editing a new project with the update yesterday. Some of my third-party custom effects presets aren't working in the new version and will cause a freeze, but other than that the RAM leak issue seems way more under control than in the previous version, so yeah... so far, so good!

9 hours ago, tellure said:

Can anyone comment on whether editing XAVCS h264 is any faster on Premiere Pro CC 2017?  Still wishing we could get instant scrubbing / play head placement.  I do see this in the features:

Accelerated Dynamic Link

Faster performance reduces the need for intermediate rendering and delivers higher frame rates during playback.

I already had instant scrubbing and playhead placement with XAVCS before 2015.3 (I understand you mean in 4K). In fact, with every flavour of XAVC. The only one the was problematic was XAVC-L with its "flashing" bug in SLog3 SGamutCine (which has been long fixed).

Just tested 2017, seen to memory leak is fixed, but found other bugs, AE when viewing set to half or quarter  , if you press export it will render half or quarter  of  original progect in media exporter. Saw other problems importing old  Ae projects or older premiere projecs but not critical, but memory leak seems to be gone. Finally

On 11/3/2016 at 6:38 AM, Ed_David said:

I can't edit anything with resolve.  I mean, it's free. But it is slow and sluggish.  man I'm loving premiere.

I find Resolve excellent for online editing of raw footage (CinemaDNG). Infinitely smoother than Premiere.

I'm far from a power user but have been contemplating switching from FCPX to PP CC.. can't stand the single video row of FCPX, also it has a ton of useless iMovie consumer type features i feel. All the pro editors I work with use Premiere too which i guess is a factor.. they proxy everything and it scrubs fine even on old 2012 macbook (with SSD upgrade) but I'll admit everybody dogging it as a slow, clunky, dodgy NLE kinda has me worried.. oh and of course the CC subscription plan is such a PITA..

5 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

Proxies suck. It may work, but it sucks waiting 12 hours for your footage to convert while I can edit straight on other editors. Sorry I am just ranting. I am having a pissy Premiere week.

You can do exactly that with Premiere. Have used the ingest feature? 

3 hours ago, Django said:

but I'll admit everybody dogging it as a slow, clunky, dodgy NLE kinda has me worried.. oh and of course the CC subscription plan is such a PITA..

While In my experience the current premiere version is neither slow nor dodgy, subscription is something I hate with passion.

I would really like people to bring this out more so Adobe can get their shit together and release a product that I can buy and not rent. if my job did not pay for the subscription I would definetly use resolve.