What wide angle taking lens with a KOWA 16-H x2 on a GH4?

DamienMTL

Hi,

Last week I made some test shots with a GH4 in 4/3 with a KOWA 16-H X2 anamorphic adapter.

I love the look of the helios 44-2 but the focal length is often too long. I also used a MIR-1B which is awesome and fast enough without vigneting but I don't think the final 2.35 field of view is wide enough for my needs. I tried to shoot with a FUJINON TV c-mount 25mm 1.4 but this time it gives some vignette on the righthand corners and lacks sharpness.

What wide angle taking lens would you suggest to fit inbetween with a nice style and without significant vignetting? The wider the better.

Thanks a lot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

You should be good (vignette free) with a 35mm, what is wrong with the mir-1B ?

If you need wider if you vignette at 37mm, you can go with a 40 or 45mm. I can reccomend the Minolta 45/2 "pancake" lens. but there are a number of equivalent lens out there :)

MIR 1B is 37mm I don't get vignette and it looks awesome. But I don't think it's wide enough with the M43 crop factor. (FF 75mm Anamorphic equivalent).

9 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

According to tito's hfov calculator, you should already be vignetting at 37mm, so I don't think you can go wider than that. (BTW, 37mm on a m4/3 sensor with a two time anamorphic gives you a 37mm horizontal equivalent, not 75 :) )

Yes I know what you mean but anamorphic lenses are rated with the Vertical Field of view equilvalent to spherical :)   40mm anamorphic is insanely wide look at the PANAVISION PRIMO 40 on "The Royal Tenenbaums".   I'll buy a speedbooster or turbolens M42 probably. It will help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/4/2016 at 1:09 AM, tweak said:

You can shoot nFD 24mm in 4:3 with 16H/GH4 with no vignette. That calculator isn't always right ;) .

Hi Tweak,

I was searching the web for how wide you can go with the Kowa 16-h and came across this old conversation. So I bought the Kowa 16-h. But if I want an aspect ratio of 2.39:1 (cinemascope) I get heavy vignette with the nfd 24mm 2.8 on my GH5. Even with the nfd 28mm 2.8. Am I missing something here? Or does the GH4 crop in 4:3 mode compared to the GH5?

Thanks

11 hours ago, vivaphil said:

Hi Tweak,

I was searching the web for how wide you can go with the Kowa 16-h and came across this old conversation. So I bought the Kowa 16-h. But if I want an aspect ratio of 2.39:1 (cinemascope) I get heavy vignette with the nfd 24mm 2.8 on my GH5. Even with the nfd 28mm 2.8. Am I missing something here? Or does the GH4 crop in 4:3 mode compared to the GH5?

Thanks

GH4 has greater crop.