Soft soft lighting technique in my Hillary Clinton Parody Video

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The video is desperately trying too hard. I can't tell if that's what you were going for or not. If so you nailed it.

Nice lighting. I too really like soft light. Great job.

I really like the character of the lens.

Do you ever use color? I've noticed you really like a desaturated palette. Nothing wrong with that. The parody angle could've used color.

10 hours ago, Ed_David said:

This is just 2 astra lights  side by side beaming into a double full grid 4x4 silk on the left, with a bounce on the right, with some return.  That's it.  Soft soft soft soft always looks good.

Agreed. I will use 2 or 3 light panels through a 5/1. A very easy but very portable and effective setup. LEDs have to be diffused or bounced in my experience. 

Do you own the 5600k or the color changing? The high output is interesting, but so is the color temp change.

8 hours ago, Ed_David said:

Soft soft soft soft always looks good.

I dub thee  "Mr. Softie."

8 hours ago, Ed_David said:

the closer and bigger the diffusion, the softer.

That's a fundamental truth.  Also, the closer, the more the diffuse value of the subject penetrates the highlights, and the more dramatic the fall-off.

As far as aesthetics go the video looks great. I agree with @Jonesy Jones that the video could have used some more color/saturation. As far as substance and execution I also agree with him that it is desperately trying too hard. Presidential parody is an over-done subject so to pull it off requires a perfect combination of humor and intellect. This video failed at that. The acting was a little bland and the dialogue cut-offs didn't help, either. A for effort, though. Who wrote the script? 

If the video was meant to appeal to low hanging fruit then I'm sure you'll accomplish that.

Lovely cinematography as always Ed. The grade is similar to some of your very filmic MX footage (the Cuba one is particularly gorgeous, in case people here have not seen it): 

It's a different kind of look for the F65, as I don't see that type of desaturated look (in this case, with a heavy teal/blue modern grade) applied to this camera very often.

Thakns guys - I modified the video per your notes on color, etc!

13 hours ago, Kino said:

Lovely cinematography as always Ed. The grade is similar to some of your very filmic MX footage (the Cuba one is particularly gorgeous, in case people here have not seen it): 

It's a different kind of look for the F65, as I don't see that type of desaturated look (in this case, with a heavy teal/blue modern grade) applied to this camera very often.

Thanks guys.

The thing about the red one mx - is that it is a good camera for the natural desaturated look.

But when you try to push the footage in post, for instance, in saturation, it starts to fall apart super quickly.

But I like the motion of it.

Anyway I'm selling my red one mxs.  If anyone is interested let me know!