Full Frame Aesthetic?

mercer

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Nah, just dealing with the adapter in general and extra rear lens caps lying around, one more piece of glass you have to keep clean and protect. If I want FF, I want a camera that shoots it natively. For the price of an a6300 plus lens plus speedbooster, you are almost near the price of a FF Sony... At least a used one. For the price of an a6300 or equivalent aps-c mirrorless plus speed booster you can get a D750 and be done with it. Jmo. Ymmv. 

Isn't this post about "Full Frame Aesthetics" ? That's what I was addressing. It doesn't exist. I agree with you completely on your point though. You should choose the sensor size that is able to produce the desired image with simple cheap and straightforward lens, if you can afford the body of course. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

Isn't this post about "Full Frame Aesthetics" ? That's what I was addressing. It doesn't exist. I agree with you completely on your point though. You should choose the sensor size that is able to produce the desired image with simple cheap and straightforward lens, if you can afford the body of course. 

Yes, you're totally right. I didn't mean to sound rude. 

On 29 October 2016 at 9:06 AM, mercer said:

I have never shot in full frame. Are there certain characteristics, other than lens choices, wider angle of view, shallow depth...etc?

If you intercut with an aps-c camera, will the two match, or will the aps-c stand out?

Yes, but those characteristics/ differences are due more to sensor/ camera tech than anything else.

You can match them if you choose your shots correctly, if the sensors produce a similar image it shouldn't be hard.

14 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

Isn't this post about "Full Frame Aesthetics" ? That's what I was addressing. It doesn't exist.

Look up definition of "Aesthetics". It does exist, just not in the realm you're focusing on, which is perfect world equivalent focal length/ bokeh. It's also possible it doesn't exist to the degree you consider worth noting, it does however exist as long as FF sensors aren't M 4/3 sensors, or any other sensor for that matter.

9 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

Why are you guys comparing Full Frame and APS-C? Why not something with a bit more different 'aesthetics' like ... Medium format and 1/3" sensors? ;)

Because I have an aps-c and I asked the differences if I were to move up to FF.

9 hours ago, DPC said:

And really hard to focus ;-)

it's easier for me because it's very clear what is and isn't in focus! 

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Because I have an aps-c and I asked the differences if I were to move up to FF.

From what I understand, once you go larger than FF format, physics starts to work against you with aperture of most lenses.

Aesthetics of different film/sensor formats is a myth left from analog film and older digital days. When shooting 16mm, emulating the look of 35mm film was nearly impossible - even with equivalent focal lengths and DoF - because 16mm had four times the grain and a quarter of the optical resolution. With modern camera sensors, this difference no longer is relevant, at least not when shooting/mastering at 2K or lower resolutions. 

1 hour ago, hmcindie said:

So I guess you could just use 1/3" sensors then right?

Sure why not? Obviously, this is totally off topic and in no way am I saying you can get the same look or quality with a 1/3" sensor as a full frame, but I am pretty amazed at some of the features 1/3" camcorders have now. I would have been drooling over them 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, hmcindie said:

So I guess you could just use 1/3" sensors then right?

No, because reaching s35 or Full Frame/Vistavision DoF equivalence on a 1/3" sensor would require impossibly large apertures. 

But emulating Full Frame aesthetics on MFT or s35 aesthetics on 1"/s16 is indeed just a matter of two more f-stops. Noise/grain doesn't differ that dramatically between those sensor formats when the target resolution is 2K or lower.

(But I really wonder why I am even replying to such flamebait.)