Shooting guerrilla style in Berlin with Iscorama 54 and Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Andrew Reid

HI Andrew,

NIce article! I like your clear stand on the democratisation of film making.

I have worked extensively with the Alexa (Plus, M and Studio) and I think there are a couple of things that I think should be pointed out. 

I feel it is a little misleading to say that crews simply stick the Alexa on Pro Res. Firstly it can only record pro res to the SxS cards (4444, 12 bit mind you), which most found more than enough. Hell for TV 422 is enough. Secondly if you do want to record RAW up until the Gemini recorder (which has it's own problems) you had to record to those bloody codex boxes. Suffice to say all this extra crap is an operators worst nightmare.

The other thing not to discount is having a reasonable size VF. Remember how big the 435 VF was especially with an EPL!! DP's used to be able to light from them. The Alexa studios optical VF isn't small either.

Anyway man, keep fighting the good fight.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

i thought your favorite lens to use with you anamorphic adapter was the helios 44-2, you like the nikon and the olympus better? and why do you think those lenses are the best to use, im only asking because ive tried to use zeiss and some nikons on mine and the result was not good, but i used the helios like you recommended in the past and i got great results. but i didnt try the nikon 1.8, i used my 1.4, the former is so cheap, even feeling that i didnt think it could be good! thanks!

Tried the Helios 44-2 with it, looked pretty much the same as the Nikon and Olympus OM. I didn't use it in the end, partly as wanted to try something new and partly since the pancake is short and stocky, bringing the weight of the lens closer to the mount with less leverage.

• 1 year later...

Hey Andrew. Thank you for this article. A buddy of mine just got the Iscorama 54 and I just got the BMCC with inspiration from his work on the camera. I knew from the start the two would be a match made in heaven.

I was also quite adamant about setting the weight of the rig over my shoulder - and of course this posed a problem with using my SmallHD monitor as it only featured HDMI in. 

Now I am sure you have already figured out a solution to this by now but someone else reading this might find this worthwhile. Using an SDI to HDMI converter box is actually a pretty cheap and simple option. 

I bought this converter for $50 then simply ran a male to male DC power cable from the box to my v-mount battery plate.

Seems like a hassle but every time I put that rig on my shoulder - I thank myself I took the time to make it correctly balanced.

Also - I love that Rewo rig you have there. I might just have to have one in the future.