Sony FS7 mk2 is coming.

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It would probably have the electronic ND of the FS5, external raw without the add-on and another big "exclusive" feature not seen in any of their other cameras. 

The other big feature could be something to do with autofocus, a modular design, high sensitivity... can't think of much else over the original since that is still very, very current. 

2 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

A menu design overhaul is top priority

Yeah having the snappier menus in the FS5 is already a step in the right direction from the FS7, hopefully will they will continue that on. As the current FS7 menus are a drag in how sluggish they can be. 

19 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It would probably have the electronic ND of the FS5, external raw without the add-on and another big "exclusive" feature not seen in any of their other cameras.

That's what makes the most sense... plus a redesigned menu and new handgrip. Those are the four features that are considerably better in the FS5 and should have been in the FS7 in the first place. As to the new exclusive feature, I suppose they HAVE to offer something other than incorporating the advances already present in a cheaper camera. Improvements in sensitivity and autofocus are to be expected but... to what extent? If they are still using the same sensor, I guess it won't be a giant leap. As you said, the original FS7 -despite its few irritating quirks- is very current.

Whatever it brings it's leaving Kenon with it's trousers down. The FS7 is barely two years old and already going to be updated with all of Sony's bling? I guess they're thinking if there's a race to the bottom in camera sales, let's be the winners while the rest play with the old rules.

18 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

Whatever it brings it's leaving Kenon with it's trousers down. The FS7 is barely two years old and already going to be updated with all of Sony's bling? I guess they're thinking if there's a race to the bottom in camera sales, let's be the winners while the rest play with the old rules.

They know market is going to be saturated very soon (anyone who needs a video camera, has already one, and dedicated video cameras are not like smartphones that you upgrade every year. Its hard to convince professionals to ditch their two years old gear, you know), so they want to be the one who saturated it. Its way better than just watching :-)

20 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

They know market is going to be saturated very soon (anyone who needs a video camera, has already one, and dedicated video cameras are not like smartphones that you upgrade every year.

...Or they are trying to change exactly that. Back in the day you'd have to pay 80.000 € for a Betacam, ("real" film cameras were at least 200K €) so the owner/operator had to plan for a long amortization and the camera was expected to stay current for that long a period. In today's democratized market where everyone can have a decent camera, product cycles are a lot shorter and so are gear investment amortizations. The "we have our own cameras" of yesteryear's small production companies has evolved into "we have the latest cameras"... same happened with PC's, which started out as pro only with a price tag of 5.000 € and were not meant to be updated so frequently.

1 hour ago, pablogrollan said:

...Or they are trying to change exactly that. Back in the day you'd have to pay 80.000 € for a Betacam, ("real" film cameras were at least 200K €) so the owner/operator had to plan for a long amortization and the camera was expected to stay current for that long a period. In today's democratized market where everyone can have a decent camera, product cycles are a lot shorter and so are gear investment amortizations. The "we have our own cameras" of yesteryear's small production companies has evolved into "we have the latest cameras"... same happened with PC's, which started out as pro only with a price tag of 5.000 € and were not meant to be updated so frequently.

But at the same time CMOS tech reached its potential ceiling. Now its really difficult to make any progress other than incremental improvements. Read out noise is already in one or two electrons level. 

1 minute ago, Eric Calabros said:

But at the same time CMOS tech reached to its potential ceiling. Now its really difficult to make any progress other than incremental improvements. Read out noise is already in one or two electrons level. 

Sure CMOS may reaching its ceiling... so? Another tech may come by, just like CMOS replaced CCDs. The goal may still the same: lower priced pro-cameras with short life cycles so that the user is "forced" to upgrade frequently. It happened with furniture, clothing, home appliances... and it is happening with pro video gear. Stuff simply used to last longer before and we didn't have a need to update, but since means of production and scale economies have made possible a faster and cheaper production, our consumption has become faster, too.

My predictions:

• Electronic ND - obviously
  • AF - improved AF is nearly a certainty too right? One of few areas where the Canon wins. Closing this gap is smart. 
  • Improved ISO, lower noise - already good but will probably be better

I bet at least 1 or 2 from this list shows up:

• IBIS - I think this is the most likely to show up from this list, and makes sense on an FS camera.
  • Higher FPS - more/higher FPS options or higher res high FPS options. Sony already wins this game, but might as well improve it a bit.
  • Improved peripherals - better EFV and LCD

The following is my wishlist. Doubtful if any of it shows up, but if even one of them we're there I'd be stoked.

• Improved Colors - in trying to stay ahead of Canon, the one thing that would almost certainly seal the deal is improved color. Sony already has the color science, why not add CineAlta colors and eliminate nearly any reason to ever buy a Canon over Sony.
  • Internal RAW/UHD Prores - I think this would be a first for Sony, so unlikely. But seems like they eventually need to go here. Probably in higher end cam first. And on the Prores side, why does anyone use any other codec anyway? Shooters friggin love Prores. 
  • Greater than 4K - there are only 2 cameras in this game, Red and UM46 (3 if you count Kinefinity, which I don't). This camera is not competing with those cams, but still. I think Sony will do this soonish, but in one of there higher end cams.
  • Global Shutter - the FS cams already have very minimal RS, but would still be cool.
  • More DR - Sony's already great here.

Sony is pretty innovative. Wouldn't surprise me if they had something else up their sleeve. What could it be? What if Sony came out with their own compressed RAW, kinda like Red. Low file sizes, loads of room in post.