Selling on eBay

tommykristensen

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Payment / collection in person is best (if possible).

No western union payments.

No out of auction deals (if selling on ebay - you won't be protected).

No 'mark as gift' shipping - (without insurance or traceable shipment option).

Don't sell to any Egyptian teenager, claiming he's a 65 year old.

Don't assume this forum (or any) is a place without fraudsters lurking, but generally this forum is filled with good honest people. If an interested buyer is a member here, he/she should have no problem in complying in any request you have in proof of address/ identity before sending over any money. It is still a risk, but gets more calculated when you can talk to an interested buyer over the phone or skype - and have proof of their identity/ address.

The main risk is in the buyer reporting the lens undelivered or damaged and then filing action against you for fraud. So if sending to overseas buyer, insure it for it's full value, send via a reputable courier - take pictures of lens condition before shipping ('hostage-style' with the days date from newspaper or iphone clock in frame) Is about as safe as you can get. Leave an evidence trail in your favour - just it case the shit hits the fan.

I have sold two scopes on this forum, had them both get in touch over Facebook (checked their profiles for red flags, such as short history/very few friends) and used PayPal :) 

(Also, good seller-etiquette is to ship tracked, insured and fast once payment is received)

14 hours ago, tommykristensen said:

Thanks for the advice.

I was pretty shocked to find out that eBay charges 10% + PP and Paypal 2-3% - wow, thats just crazy. 

I thought the first items you sell on ebay are free of charge. (Paypal still charges 2-3%, which I find okay)

• 2 months later...