Rapido Anamorphic Lens Clamp V2 with Rail Support

Jim Chang

Finally got some new products out by this year. When busy with the Rapido Mod project, realize I would need a real solid clamp for adapting larger anamorphic lenses. Thus, here comes the Clamp V2 with rail support. This clamp is designed based on the original M67-M77 verion of the clamp with additional features:

1: Anti-slip feature, the front of the clamp has standard 82mm male thread, and a lock ring is screw on to prevent the anamorphic lens from fall off during adjustment

2: Rail support feature, the external ring is connected to a beam, which can be assembled with standard 15mm rail based lens support bracket, like the one from Neewer, to provide rail support of the anamorphic lens.

3: Additional mounting options, the external ring has multiple standard M4 screw holes, which can be used for mounting additional accessories, like monitors, and etc.

4: Fast & easy change of anamorphic lens or taking lens, loosen the lock ring and three screws, the anamorphic lens is ready to be slide off from the clamp. Changing another taking lens is possible without readjusting the front anamorphic lens, just loosing the lens support bracket, and unscrew the taking lens from the camera, then you can screw in another taking lens to the clamp, and carefully locate the lens mount into camera.

5: Compatible with your existing step down/up rings, you can reuse existing step down/up rings, and pair them with this clamp. Say, you purchased a package before from us for your KOWA B&H lens, all you need is the V2 clamp to work with your KOWA and taking lens. No additional purchase needed.

1.jpg

1111.jpg

Following is the setup process using Rokinon 85mm as taking lens, pair with Hypergonar H.F. 2X anamorphic lens on GH4 camera: 

Step 1: screw the correct step up ring on the taking lens

Step 2: screw the external ring onto the taking lens

Step 3: assemble the rail support onto the external ring, having the beam pointing down

Step 4: attach the lock ring onto the anamorphic lens

Step 5: screw the step down ring onto the anamorphic lens

Step 6: secure the camera on the rail

Step 7: attach the rail support to the Lens Support Bracket Mount Clamp from Neewer

Step 8: slide the anamorphic lens from front, and screw the lock ring onto the external ring

Step 9: adjust the orientation of the anamorphic lens by rotating the anamorphic lens

Step 10: lock down the anamorphic lens by tighten three M4 screws

2.JPG4.JPG5.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG11.JPG12.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Btw, sliding V2 clamp with anamorphic lens on a rail is possible, so changing taking lens can be quickly done.

People asked about how solid is the V2 clmap.  I tried HIFI-2 (3.48lb), Bauch & Lomb attachment I (3.68lb), Bell & Hewell (6.49lb), See picture of holding them with the clamp on the rail. My tripod mount start titling when mounting the Bell & Hewell, but the clamp is still showing no sign of deflecting.

When playing with this clamp, I realize it could be also used as a handheld arm for holding the anamorphic lens & the camera together, just like the director view finder, see the picture below of KOWA 35mm anamorphic lens, Rokinon 85mm and GH4 held together by the V2 clamp.

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6901.JPG

IMG_6902.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

IMG_6903.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG

18 hours ago, SigurdW said:

Sorry for taking the focus away from a solution a ton of us will be super grateful for, but I personally can't wait hear more about this! :O

It is coming, it will be a dedicated variable diopter, which is optimized for the modded lens, but it has standard thread size, not 75mm for sure, you can reuse it for other anamorphic lens, but result is not guaranteed. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2017 at 2:22 PM, DIGICHombre said:

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing this but I don't quite understand how it connects to an anamorphic lens? How does that gold slip ring stay secure? Is it customized fit for every vintage lens ?

So this is how parts connect together:  Anamorphic lens + step down ring + V2 clamp + step up ring + Taking lens. 

the gold slip ring is secured inside the black ring by three screws. The clamp is customized for each vintage anamorphic lens by using the customized step down ring to connect the vintage lens to the clamp. See more details over here: http://www.rapidotechnology.com/products-services/customized-step-up-down-rings

Or send me an email to info@rapidotechnology.com, thanks, 

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Currently, I have my Kowa for Bell & Howell connected to my EOS converted mount Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2.
I have it working with a Metabones XL Speedbooster and my good ol' GH4.
I am experiencing the lens attachement error occassionally, as I think the bare aluminum EOS conveterted mount is shorting out the signal.
Trying Hard As Nails nailpolish, as the sharpie trick only got scratched off.
May have to ultimately install the chipped board thingy....

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  I REALLY like this combination!  I want to purchase another.

Just got back from a week at the beach on Tybee Island, GA.  Unfortunately, it was VERY windy/stormy, though I did manage a few vids, and stills.

I WAS going to pop for the Core DNA rig, but, I don't think it is necessary now.

Oh, and here is a TIP - IF you disconnect the taking lens from the scope, carry along the hex key wrenches, as the filter mounts will not index the same.

Though, this should be a well known "issue" using step up/down filter ring mounts, etc...

I am sooo happy with this setup, thanks Jim!

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2016 at 9:44 AM, Jim Chang said:

Btw, sliding V2 clamp with anamorphic lens on a rail is possible, so changing taking lens can be quickly done.

People asked about how solid is the V2 clmap.  I tried HIFI-2 (3.48lb), Bauch & Lomb attachment I (3.68lb), Bell & Hewell (6.49lb), See picture of holding them with the clamp on the rail. My tripod mount start titling when mounting the Bell & Hewell, but the clamp is still showing no sign of deflecting.

When playing with this clamp, I realize it could be also used as a handheld arm for holding the anamorphic lens & the camera together, just like the director view finder, see the picture below of KOWA 35mm anamorphic lens, Rokinon 85mm and GH4 held together by the V2 clamp.

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6901.JPG

IMG_6902.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

IMG_6903.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG

It is coming, it will be a dedicated variable diopter, which is optimized for the modded lens, but it has standard thread size, not 75mm for sure, you can reuse it for other anamorphic lens, but result is not guaranteed. 

Trying to use the GOLDEN Kowa S35 but have little luck, do I need to modify it a bit?

• 2 weeks later...