85mm1.4 vs 50-150s 2.8 to complement 16-50s

cojocaru27

Hi guys, for the moment i own only one lens, the 16-50s. I really love my NX1 and i don't see myself selling it even if gh5 hits the market next year. So i am planning to get an other lens for it although it's risky. If the body fails i am stucked with two lenses for a dead system. Anyways i am looking at 85mm and 50-150s. The first one it's smaller and has a nice bokeh from what i read online. Although it doesn't have OIS and will be hard to shoot hand held. On the other hand 50-150s has OIS, if it's as good as the one on 16-50s i'll be very happy. It is very very havy and i don't know if it suits the run and gun style specailly with hand held shooting.

I would really appreciate some advice regarding the above situation. thanks a lot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, i have both lenses. The 50-150S OIS is better than 16-50S. The difference @50mm is signifiant. If you plan to use your lens for handled video, the 50-150S is the way to go.
Furthermore, the 50-150S @150mm F/2.8 has a great bokeh.
The first two pics are taken with the 50-150S @150mm F2.8 and the last one with the 85mm@F1.4

SAM_31j58.jpg

SAM_0124cd_1.jpg

SAM_7362cd.jpg

16 hours ago, Beritar said:

Hi, i have both lenses. The 50-150S OIS is better than 16-50S. The difference @50mm is signifiant. If you plan to use your lens for handled video, the 50-150S is the way to go.
Furthermore, the 50-150S @150mm F/2.8 has a great bokeh.
The first two pics are taken with the 50-150S @150mm F2.8 and the last one with the 85mm@F1.4

SAM_31j58.jpg

SAM_0124cd_1.jpg

SAM_7362cd.jpg

thanks a lot, would you mind sending me some raw files for a better look? much appreciated

15 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

I also have both S lenses and man, the 50-150 is so good.

Grab one if you can, it's great.

It's also lightweight for a telephoto zoom.

thx a lot, don't know about lightweight...this is an other throwback for me as i am not sure if it works and a gymbal like beholder ec1.

Apart from spending 1500$  :)

Better get old vintage prime glass instead of the modern Samsung ones you loose out on autofocus and stabilisation but I never liked these clinically clean looks anyway just my personal opinion on the matter it also is more cost effective since vintage glasses can be reused, Samsung glass cannot be currently anyway. 

16 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

Better get old vintage prime glass instead of the modern Samsung ones you loose out on autofocus and stabilisation but I never liked these clinically clean looks anyway just my personal opinion on the matter it also is more cost effective since vintage glasses can be reused, Samsung glass cannot be currently anyway. 

you're totally right. I do own an old nikon 50mm 1.4 and it's perfoming beautiful. It's just with other lenses is hard to pull focus. I usually use the enlarge option (zoom in ) for manual focus to make sure i have the focus right where i want it to be, espacially as i am shooting as wide as i can to avoid the clinical look. The more you have in focus the more clinical it will look like. If that feature would find its way in the hack i would be more than happy.

The 50-150 lens is a tremendous lens that does everything well. I find that sharpness to be more of a lighting thing than anything. I hate the lens hood though, that's really minor, it's one of those big ugly ones that make it look like a bazooka.

If you want to go the other way, I have the Samyang t1.5 85m cine lens and it's a really good portrait lens. everything manual so buy the canon with a kiwi adapter. You can't do better at that price point.