Canon XC10 hardcoded noise reduction issue

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

@tomsemiterrific +1 I would love to see that flowerpot shot. If it's too much hassle to upload to vimeo maybe you could dropbox it or something. 

Regular Canon support want me to send my unit in as well.

I'll try to get it done this evening. Work today. In the flowerpot scene I can't see any ghosting; the ISO was 20,000 and sharpening was actually set about half way up the degrees---normally I shoot Clog so I haven't actually turned sharpening off--as it my habit with all CPs.

Yeah it is pretty bad. Hopefully they'll fix it with a firmware update. Luckily I haven't noticed at 500 ISO and I will never shoot at 20,000 ISO again. 

I will say though, after not using the camera for a little over a month, I almost forgot how nice it is. 

Thanks Mercer for doing this test! From looking at this and the examples in the other thread I'm convinced that it's in all XC10s and not in the XC15 and that there's no point in anyone returning an XC10 as Canon should be able to replicate this themselves. The fix lies in firmware. I'm going to email Canon now.

On 10/24/2016 at 5:13 AM, kidzrevil said:

Canon is recommending that I send my unit in for repairs...I don't think its an issue of fault hardware just aggressive image processing. Should I send it in ? ?

IMG_7475.PNG

Personally I think this is an issue you will see in any XC10. We don't have anyone here really looking for the ghosting and saying they can't find any.

I think you'd be wasting your time to send your unit in. I'd press them to try it on a random unit (or ten) to confirm/underline that it is a universal issue.

Posted these on the other thread ages ago. Granted they're out of focus but I think they show the real world effects of the issue pretty well. Look at the weird banding on the faces, and in the final image the ghost of his profile. It's really very weird.

XC10_banding_1.thumb.jpg.1fcc2be8c842342971b3ab5e80aa6ac4.jpgXC10_banding_2.thumb.jpg.130e36d084102e7062712b353ee93285.jpgXC10_banding_3.thumb.jpg.55da9da8e5b00cc11884d0e7d0256588.jpg

I just spoke to CVP, where I bought the camera from. Their engineering dept were not aware of the issue. They have had no reports of ghosting from the XC10 until now and they've sold lots, they said. They encouraged me to send my unit in, stating that Canon would not ask you to send it back unless they thought there was something they could do about it.

At the same time, however, I've seen footage from 7 different XC10s that show the problem, and none that don't. BUT tomsemiterrific's XC15 doesn't have the problem so we know that there's a fix of some kind. Apparently Canon will sometimes secretly change firmware or swap out the insides in order to fix something and then send it back saying "We didn't find anything wrong with it."

If CVP didn't have any other complaints, it may behoove you to exchange yours... If yours is still within the return period. Write down your prior serial number for future reference. But I would still contact Canon as well. Did you sign up for CPN? I quickly looked at the site last night... Do you know how many points the XC10 is worth?

Btw, could it possibly be zoom related... Reflections? Or maybe the internal ND is misaligned?

No, I'm outside the return period and I already have a big scratch on the barrel of the lens where it brushed up against my laptop in my bag.

I did sign up for CPN. Once you have the XC10 you become a video member and turnaround for repairs is 5 days not including:

1. The day the item is received.
  2. Time in shipment.
  3. Time taken to accept / decline an estimate or repair cost. (Customers whose items are not covered by a Fixed Price Repair charge are advised to provide us with a repair limit to prevent delays).
  4. Time spent awaiting any customer information necessary to complete the repair (e.g. missing documentation).
  5. All turnaround times are subject to spare part availability,

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair.aspx

So I could send it in and have it back in around a week or so, probably. Should I be the guinea pig? :innocent:

I think we should really take your suggestion @kidzrevil and compile a folder of brief shots from everybody's XC10 (and include Tom's XC15 to show it doesn't have the problem). If we include the XML files they will see that they're all from different cameras and the variety of settings being used

@kidzrevil @tomsemiterrific @mercer @Lintelfilm @HugoS316

Who can host this shared folder? File sizes might get big so keep 4K clips very brief if possible.

EDIT: I cleared some space in my dropbox. I'm gonna PM you guys with the link.