Canon 5D Mark IV - IQ of 1080p footage

Arikhan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@experienced users

So, you could say, as "sharp" / detailed as the 5Diii...This would mean, the only way to get sharp, usable IQ out of it, is filming in 4K and editing on a 1080p timeline?

BTW: There are people saying, that the 80D would be quite sharp in 1080p. Is there someone, who can tell me something about this aspect? The 80D vs 5Dm3 sharpness/detail comparison in 1080p?

Thank you!

The only experienced users are the reviewers that are able to buy various bodies  (from different brands) and compare them.

From what I've seen online, all other brands are sharper than Canon.

And, there are multiple videos out there comparing the 5Diii to the Gh4, a7x, nx1, etc. In terms of sharpness.

Even when filming in 4K, again... all other cameras outside of Canon are sharper.

Sure, downsizing from 4K will make the footage sharper in 1080p.... but Canon 4K is going to be less sharper than Samsung nx1 4K... and if you downsize the Canon 4K to 1080p... its still going to be less sharper than nx1 4K downsized to 1080p.

Now, it seems as if you are only looking at Canon DSLRs... Any particular reason?

Any interest in anything outside of Canon?

Any interest in Canon Cinema Cameras?

But, if you insist on Canon DSLRs only... we suggest getting 5D3 and installing ML.

I don't think ML is going to start playing around with the 5D4 any time soon.

However, I specifically suggest you think about the 5DSR, because it is sharper than any DSLR camera Canon has at present, when shooting in 1080p (on original H.264).

@mkabi Thanks for your suggestions. As i like the Canon color science and i have a nice amount of EF lenses, i assumed, i could use only a camera for stills AND video. Though i don't want to spend more than  about 3.500 Euro on this. As i see - and talking about the Canon ecosystem - i should save money and spend it on a 1DXm2, as then this camera could be the best canon solution for stills AND video. I hoped, the 80D could be good enough, but video IQ ist still very soft without real 1080p resolution...

7 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@mkabi Thanks for your suggestions. As i like the Canon color science and i have a nice amount of EF lenses, i assumed, i could use only a camera for stills AND video. Though i don't want to spend more than  about 3.500 Euro on this. As i see - and talking about the Canon ecosystem - i should save money and spend it on a 1DXm2, as then this camera could be the best canon solution for stills AND video. I hoped, the 80D could be good enough, but video IQ ist still very soft without real 1080p resolution...

The 80D isn't bad. It has a higher bitrate than most Canon DSLRs at 1080p. Supposedly, it also has ML's interest. On the used market it resells close to new prices. It could hold you over for a little while as you raise the rest for a 1DXii.

looks only a tiny bit sharper.. personally can't stand how soft 5DIII 1080p is anymore.. fortunately shooting RAW changes all that. but i would certainly not get a 5D4 / 1DX II for good 1080p IQ and their MJPEG cropped 4K is so cumbersome. Really if you wanna stick with Canon, either 5D3 Raw or C line for best 1080p IQ.. or go Sony with Metabones EF to E-mount adapter..

Not sure that 5D RAW is less cumbersome than MJPEG but I agree that the crop the 5d is a bit too much.

If you want high quality 1080p from 5d IV or 1dx II just downscale the 4k MJPEG at ingestion.....  The only time that I record in 1080 on the 1dx II is when I need 120fps for super slow-motion.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Not sure that 5D RAW is less cumbersome than MJPEG but I agree that the crop the 5d is a bit too much.

i can transcode to RAW DNG very quickly with Raw Magic and then benefit from full uncompressed WB, exposure etc control in Resolve.. although the resolution is less then 4K i find the flexibility and overall IQ/look to be way above what 4K MJPEG gives. 

I don't want to discuss if is better 1080 RAW or 4:2:2 4k at the end is up to personal preference. 

The op askedt about 1080 quality and we all know that is not the greatest but you can easily downscale the 4k image for a very good picture quality.

My point is that people that never have used a 1dx II or 5d IV continue to complain about the MJPEG saying it is cumbersome, old, whatever... but in fact you can open a 4k 60p MJPEG directly in Resolve from the CFcard do some cuts and grading and render it to 1080p obtaining a very sharp image without any transcoding or even coping the file on a local SSD. In Resolve is way faster to edit at 4k MJPEG than a 4k h264. So it is sure not cumbersome, it is just big but don't tell me that 5D RAW is small. I can tell you that is even much easier to edit 4k MJPEG than C300 II XF AVC in Resolve (no native support).