RAW vs 10bit vs 8bit

norliss

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The problem isn't as much 8bit vs 10bit I think but the effort put into compressing the data. Good compression takes a crapload of processing power to do, while bad just breeze through at realtime speed.
If you have not, play around with Handbrake and change only the slider for compression efficiency vs encoding speed. It's under optimise video.
Even at unlimited bitrade you will notice degradation in quality unless you add some effort to the compression work.
Also proper dither made for the compression setting meaning you make the entire chain optimized makes a good difference.

I enjoyed the guys delivery and attitude! As nice as the piece and idea is, the title's a bit misleading in a way. It isn't a comparison of 8-bit and 10-bit abstractly, it's just a comparison of two Sonys.

Take some 10-bit ProRes out of an Arri Amira for example, I've run that up against 16-bit Red Raw from an MX sensor and the Arri is better and grades far more nicely in real-world situation (IE not purposefully smashing it to get banding).

Or indeed 8-bit AVCHD from a C100 vs 8-bit anything else! The C100 has an amazing compression pipeline. But dip-depth is just one piece of the puzzle. There's bitrate and chroma subsampling too. Plus the sensor, AD conversion, gain stages, colour response and profiles, gamuts.... blah blah...

I like that he talks about not transcoding 8-bit stuff. I've been saying it a lot, people waste masses of hard disk, thinking that transcoding 8-bit stuff to huge files is worth it.

For my two cents, I also I grade things non stop as part of my living, and I hate most Slog and Sony cam colour with a passion. I wish I didn't though, as the cameras are cheap and high-spec.

I watched until the blackmagic part and then stopped out of fear of getting brain cancer.

"Hey let's compare 12-bit 1080p to 8-bit 4K, they look the same, therefore 8bit and raw are the same. Don't mind the resolution. Resolve has similar knobs for both, they're the same! Let's shoot this test with optimal light so as not to strain any of the codecs, yay!"