Why I've now purchased an FS5

Oliver Daniel

It's been pretty tough choosing what to get as my company A-cam, and after a few runs,  I've opted for the FS5. 

When it comes to image quality (and I only know the FS5 internally), the FS5 isn't near the top of my list. 

What matters to me, most of all, is making content, and telling stories.

As much as I'd want an Ursa Mini 4.6k, a RED Raven, C300 II or Terra 5k- with the FS5 versatility wins. 

Why did I get it then? 

• Lightweight and modular - saves the back and can be used on my DSLR grip gear. 
  • Use run n gun style bare bones or beast it up with an external recorder - caters for pretty much all types of work. 
  • Slow motion - currently unmatched at this price point. No slow motion crop too!
  • E-mount - massive range of adaptable lenses. 
  • Variable ND - very very useful. 

Going back to image quality - although the initial palette isn't quite as stunning as other models in this range - I think Sony get a hammering online as there are countless videos posted on Vimeo and Youtube where Slog has been badly exposed and graded. If you put in your research to handling Slog, the results can be spectacular. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Agreed, although I don't have the cash to upgrade my Sony F3, if I did I think I'd go with the Sony FS5. It might not be the perfect camera for a particular situation, but in terms of being the most versatile all round camera I think it is streets ahead of all the competition.  

And that is what a lot of us need in our main camera, something which can be used across lots of different kinds of projects. Rather than something which only fits a small niche of needs, and being constantly forced into renting heaps for everything else. 

When the Terra 5K ships (especially if a Canon EF or Nikon F to Kinefinity Mount adapter with built in ND filters is developed) then I think the Terra 5K might make the strongest claim for #2 place in being the most versatile camera there is after the FS5.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Agreed, although I don't have the cash to upgrade my Sony F3, if I did I think I'd go with the Sony FS5. It might not be the perfect camera for a particular situation, but in terms of being the most versatile all round camera I think it is streets ahead of all the competition.  

And that is what a lot of us need in our main camera, something which can be used across lots of different kinds of projects. Rather than something which only fits a small niche of needs, and being constantly forced into renting heaps for everything else. 

When the Terra 5K ships (especially if a Canon EF or Nikon F to Kinefinity Mount adapter with built in ND filters is developed) then I think the Terra 5K might make the strongest claim for #2 place in being the most versatile camera there is after the FS5.

Absolutely. 

There's a certain type of freedom of expression you get with a camera like the FS5 - it can do pretty much everything you want it to, it doesn't look like a bazooka and leaves you and your post skills to get it to shine. I like the individuality of this and the grading work pays big dividends with your skill set. 

On the lower cost end of the scale, the upcoming GH5 seems like the ideal choice (on paper). I honestly don't think anyone could need anything else for a very long time. Having both these units would have you covered for everything. 

We all love our gear, and new gear announcements (especially cameras) can be very distracting - especially for Sony owners. When you have a camera that does pretty much everything you'll ever need - the distractions aren't even worth it. 

I'm with you on the Terra 5k - it looks awesome. I'd only get one if I was absolutely rolling in cash though. I could get all sorts of cool lenses that last decades instead! ;) 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I'm with you on the Terra 5k - it looks awesome. I'd only get one if I was absolutely rolling in cash though. I could get all sorts of cool lenses that last decades instead! ;) 

I really want one too.... (heck I've blogged often enough about the Kinefinity cameras! Even an admin of a Facebook group for them) but I'm also not rolling in cash, and I know I should focus any spare cash instead into upping my level of audio gear (although it is already not too bad for a newbie pro: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/) as sound recording is where my focus is for now in making a career and living out of this.

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I really want one too.... (heck I've blogged often enough about the Kinefinity cameras! Even an admin of a Facebook group for them) but I'm also not rolling in cash, and I know I should focus any spare cash instead into upping my level of audio gear (although it is already not too bad for a newbie pro: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/) as sound recording is where my focus is for now in making a career and living out of this.

Sensible. 

I just sold my Inspire 1 because I found myself never having time to use it. I had an "epiphany" in that my focus will be primarily on image aesthetics online - lighting, camera, lenses, colour. Hated selling it, but I had to. 

FS5 arrives today.... looking to get an Atomos Shogun Inferno next..... 

At a certain point we need to make a decision between the hobbyist side (what we'd like to have, such as a Kinefinity) vs what will make you money (focusing on the audio niche... well, that will be true for me at least).

And for many people a Sony FS5 will be a money maker for them, as it ticks so many boxes! (I'm not yet in a position where an FS5 would be a money maker for me...  but soon I'll be at that level!)

On October 20, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

Sensible. 

I just sold my Inspire 1 because I found myself never having time to use it. I had an "epiphany" in that my focus will be primarily on image aesthetics online - lighting, camera, lenses, colour. Hated selling it, but I had to. 

FS5 arrives today.... looking to get an Atomos Shogun Inferno next..... 

Did you sell the X5R too? Or just the Inspire? I am still waiting for your footage from the X5R. I want this camera/gimbal, but just don't want the silly workflow, but interested to see more footage.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing your footage from the FS5, been on my radar too, but I'm a sucker for image. Unclear if FS5 can get me there.

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Did you sell the X5R too? Or just the Inspire? I am still waiting for your footage from the X5R. I want this camera/gimbal, but just don't want the silly workflow, but interested to see more footage.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing your footage from the FS5, been on my radar too, but I'm a sucker for image. Unclear if FS5 can get me there.

I still have the X5R as I use it on the Osmo a lot. There's just something about being able to whip out a very powerful camera for gimbal shots and use it almost immediately. A few videos have been released with the X5R footage now although they aren't perfect - the DJI colour science is much different to anything I've used before. The firmware has improved but the SSD reliability with Mac is infuriating (support told me there would be a workflow overhaul coming soon). 

I shot twice on the FS5 this weekend using the internal 1080p - at only 50mbps it grades and sharpens up really well - although I'd like the image to have a thicker feel. There's absolutely no need for the 8 bit 4k. I'm going to get the Shogun Inferno next to unlock some beastly geekery.