Panasonic GX85 IBIS using Metabones Speed Booster

Cary Knoop

The Speed Booster seems to turn off IBIS.  Using a generic focal reducer IBIS works fine but not through the Speed Booster.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a Metabones firmware bug?

I am using a Panasonic GX85 with the Canon EF to MF3 ULTRA 0.71 Speed Booster with a Sigma 50-100mm lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I work for Metabones and let me confirm that this is indeed a firmware bug as well as to apologize to you for the inconvenience. This problem is that IBIS is OFF and you cannot turn it on with the camera's menus. It occurs with only one lens, the Sigma 50-100/1.8 DC HSM Art. A firmware fix will be published in a matter of days.

I acknowledged this problem on eoshd at the beginning of the month and promised that a fix was on the way, but I suppose my comment might have been taken out of context. It certainly was NOT a blanket "GX85 IBIS didn't work with Metabones". (Link to my previous comment below.) 

There is not much else to say, except that the fix will be here soon, and we will have the ability to select between OIS and IBIS (something that even Panasonic's own lenses do not support, for example if you have an old Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 in SLR Four Thirds mount.)

@Chris Oh - As of the current version, only the Sigma 50-100/1.8 has an IBIS issue (and pardon me for repeating that this, too, will be fixed in a matter of days).

But owing to just this one lens, Andrew was compelled to downgrade to firmware 0.5 from more than 2 years ago. Back then the firmware did not manage OIS/IBIS interaction. In his tests using old firmware, both OIS and IBIS turned on and cancelled out each other. Actually if he had manually turned one of OIS/IBIS off, the old version would still have worked fine.

Andrew found our firmware from 2 years ago to be unsatisfactory, which I concur (although back then we could not have anticipated the GX85). I personally would say that except for that one lens, the Sigma 50-100/1.8, the current firmware is working, and it is doing what Panasonic's own Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapter (DMW-MA1) would have done. The next version, 2.5, which will be launched soon, will be great, and will have the flexibility of OIS/IBIS selection by the end-user.

3 hours ago, conurus said:

I work for Metabones and let me confirm that this is indeed a firmware bug as well as to apologize to you for the inconvenience. This problem is that IBIS is OFF and you cannot turn it on with the camera's menus. It occurs with only one lens, the Sigma 50-100/1.8 DC HSM Art. A firmware fix will be published in a matter of days.

Wonderful!

Metabones never disappoints!  :)

I'm having a strange issue as-well with the stabilization, but with a Canon EF-S 55-250 STM (modified to Canon EF mount).
The lens IS sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. If I turn off lens IS, IBIS doesn't work at all.

Using the GX85 as-well.

• 2 weeks later...

The new firmware (2.5) is out, and this is the firmware specifically crafted for GX80/85. Hopefully this addresses all the image-stabilization-related problems you might have. I would like to point you to the image stabilization documentation page. You may download it by clicking on 'SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD" near the top.

http://metabones.com/article/of/mft-manual-image-stabilization 

3 hours ago, conurus said:

The new firmware (2.5) is out, and this is the firmware specifically crafted for GX80/85. Hopefully this addresses all the image-stabilization-related problems you might have. I would like to point you to the image stabilization documentation page. You may download it by clicking on 'SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD" near the top.

http://metabones.com/article/of/mft-manual-image-stabilization 

This is great news. :)

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

Ran a small test using the GX85, Metabones Speedbooster Ultra with the 2.5 firmware and the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8

Interestingly I cannot set the aperture to f/1.2 f/1.3 is the minimum.

Nice & steady, is this handheld with the camera stabilisation only?

5 minutes ago, vulgatron said:

Good to know, I'll be using a "lens turbo" instead but good to know that the stabiliser  works that well with that range.

It works as well with the Mitakon, however in that case you need to set your preferred focal length which must be a compromise unless you won't zoom.

1 hour ago, Cary Knoop said:

It works as well with the Mitakon, however in that case you need to set your preferred focal length which must be a compromise unless you won't zoom.

Ok thanks, in that case you think if set to the maximum focal length will have an impact if used at the minimum? I mean if set at 35mm will not work properly at 18mm

Also this made me wonder... how you decide the focal length that you have to mark on the camera? If using a 50mm lens, should you select the 50 or the 100mm due to the 2x crop factor? or even 75mm if using a booster?

1 minute ago, vulgatron said:

Ok thanks, in that case you think if set to the maximum focal length will have an impact if used at the minimum? I mean if set at 35mm will not work properly at 18mm

Also this made me wonder... how you decide the focal length that you have to mark on the camera? If using a 50mm lens, should you select the 50 or the 100mm due to the 2x crop factor? or even 75mm if using a booster?

I would put it somewhere in the middle and start to experiment from there.

You should enter the true focal length of the lens, however if you use a booster it should be the focal length changed by the booster.