Nikon Flat Profile Question...

mercer

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Imo,

The gain of getting the d7200 would be rather minimal. I would try to go all the way for a used d750 (Or d500 if money was less of an issue).

A refurbished 750 goes for around $1450, a new grey market for about $1600... A grey market D500 goes for about $1700. When you get up in that price range you may as well go new from BH to avoid any warranty hassles.

The refurbbed 750, for $1450 isn't a bad price, but I can get a refurbished 7200 for $750... Is the D750 worth twice as much as the D7200... That's the question?

I definitely see your point, I just have to do some more research to see which, if either, suits me better. I don't necessarily care about full frame... So I'm not sure what is gained, feature wise, with the D750.

If I get the 7200, I would probably keep the D5500 as a B-Cam/High risk cam... Hmm...

But I guess using my 28mm f2 as a 28mm f2 does sound kinda interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the help... I guess I should get through a full shoot day before I go all in...

1 hour ago, TrueIndigo said:

There is no live histogram with the D5500. What I do is shoot a few seconds of a representative view of my shot, and then quickly review it -- no need to play it, just see the (default) first frame. By enabling histograms (in the menus) you can have three colour or a single luminosity histogram display of that first frame to check your current exposure is not clipping. Use the up/down joystick buttons to toggle through display of histograms or no histograms.

This is obviously less elegant than having a live histogram active all the time, but after a while it only takes a short delay to make the check. Of course, there will be a further delay if you actually need to adjust your aperture with an auto lens in response to what you learned from the histogram! You have to go out of live view to make the aperture change and then perhaps shoot another short video clip to again preview with the histogram in order to confirm that your new exposure is going where you want it. With a manual aperture lens you do not need to leave live view to see an aperture change, and I've got the FN button assigned to ISO changes to help speed that up, but you still have the delay of shooting another clip to check the new histogram.

I put up with all this because it's important enough to me to want to know where my exposure is technically. And I've come to prefer the Nikon video image over my previous experience with Canon DSLR video: I've been using a D5200 since 2013 and got a D5500 early this year.

Thanks for this, great trick. I'll give this a go today. Do you have any LCD brightness level suggestions. I usually go all the way up with them, but yesterday, I noticed that what I thought looked great in the LCD, in fact was underexposed by a stop or two when I brought it into the computer. I only have ai-s lenses so I can't even use the in camera meter... Which is actually how I prefer to expose. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's another apparent quirk/issue with the D5xxx series with regard to recording to an external recorder (in my case the Video Assist) - although you can get clean HDMI out by scrolling with the top 'info' button until the on-screen displays disappear, that signal seems to be locked at 1080p 30fps (presumably 29.97) regardless of what is selected in-camera, including for PAL frame rates. So regardless of what I select in-camera on the D5300, the VA always shows 1080p 30fps. Here's a blog discussing the matter on the D5200, but other users report the same problem more recently with the D5500 further down in the comments. http://www.jdale.net/nikon-d5200-hdmi-problems/ If there's a work-around, I'd love to hear about it.

Headed out today and had a blast with the D5500. I won't bore everyone with a ton of shots, but here's a screengrab...

image.jpeg

I found the camera and the Flat profile very forgiving. I could expose to the right and pull it down... I could underexpose and push it up... Just a really nice profile and codec. 

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Headed out today and had a blast with the D5500. I won't bore everyone with a ton of shots, but here's a screengrab...

image.jpeg

I found the camera and the Flat profile very forgiving. I could expose to the right and pull it down... I could underexpose and push it up... Just a really nice profile and codec. 

It's cool right? Have fun!

21 hours ago, mercer said:

The refurbbed 750, for $1450 isn't a bad price, but I can get a refurbished 7200 for $750... Is the D750 worth twice as much as the D7200... That's the question?

Unless you are doing a lot of still as well as video... probably not.

If you are happy with the D5500 then I'd stick with that - its something of a bargain.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I say the D750 is worth it. Not sure the d7200 can change aperture while recording or has zebra. Also full frame can be pretty sweet from time to time.

D7200 - no power aperture but does have zebras.

I hear what you are saying. My valuation of equipment has changed a lot since I started making money with it, hence unless I were shooting stills where the D750 is way way better - I'd probably rather have the 750 bucks.

Obviously if money is not an issue... then its not an issue.

3 hours ago, j-oc said:

It's cool right? Have fun!

Unless you are doing a lot of still as well as video... probably not.

If you are happy with the D5500 then I'd stick with that - its something of a bargain.

Yeah, the camera is a blast. I was chasing that 4K stabilized image for the past year and I forgot how fun a simple DSLR and a monopod were... Especially with this codec and profile. 

Right, the D750 and its facial recognition, I'd imagine, is a valuable tool for stills. As of now, I only do video really, but I'd like to start shooting stills.

I really like the D5500, but the lack of exposure tools is driving me a little crazy. Since I have only manual glass, the D7200 would have been a better tool. I just need to decide how much I really like the camera and the workflow before I decide to upgrade... I have some footage to mess with this morning and I may head out again this afternoon.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Miss my D750, mainly do to the clean gradable image in the very compact codec. 

Some of your Nikon work put these cameras on the radar for me. That winter beach video you did with the Tokina/Angenieux zoom was a real eye opener to me as to what these Nikons can do. 

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I say the D750 is worth it. Not sure the d7200 can change aperture while recording or has zebra. Also full frame can be pretty sweet from time to time.

Yeah, the 750 is a way better camera, I'm just unsure if it's worth the upgrade this far in the product cycle. With the D7200, I'd get a lot of the video features for half the cost. And then if I get along well with her, I can get the 760, or whatever it will be named. Who knows, their AF may be up to Camon's DPAF with the next generation. 

On October 17, 2016 at 6:57 AM, TrueIndigo said:

There is no live histogram with the D5500. What I do is shoot a few seconds of a representative view of my shot, and then quickly review it -- no need to play it, just see the (default) first frame. By enabling histograms (in the menus) you can have three colour or a single luminosity histogram display of that first frame to check your current exposure is not clipping. Use the up/down joystick buttons to toggle through display of histograms or no histograms.

This is obviously less elegant than having a live histogram active all the time, but after a while it only takes a short delay to make the check. Of course, there will be a further delay if you actually need to adjust your aperture with an auto lens in response to what you learned from the histogram! You have to go out of live view to make the aperture change and then perhaps shoot another short video clip to again preview with the histogram in order to confirm that your new exposure is going where you want it. With a manual aperture lens you do not need to leave live view to see an aperture change, and I've got the FN button assigned to ISO changes to help speed that up, but you still have the delay of shooting another clip to check the new histogram.

I put up with all this because it's important enough to me to want to know where my exposure is technically. And I've come to prefer the Nikon video image over my previous experience with Canon DSLR video: I've been using a D5200 since 2013 and got a D5500 early this year.

Thanks for this. Although not optimal, it definitely did the trick and was better than flying blind like I was before. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Some of your Nikon work put these cameras on the radar for me. That winter beach video you did with the Tokina/Angenieux zoom was a real eye opener to me as to what these Nikons can do. 

Yeah, the 750 is a way better camera, I'm just unsure if it's worth the upgrade this far in the product cycle. With the D7200, I'd get a lot of the video features for half the cost. And then if I get along well with her, I can get the 760, or whatever it will be named. Who knows, their AF may be up to Camon's DPAF with the next generation. 

Thanks for the complement. I too like the look I got in that video. Yeah I actually loved the D750/nikon images, usability wise it was an issue with me before because I was doing a lot of Run & Gun. Now that I shoot mainly sticks, I'm considering picking one up. I don't know what nikon does, but I do think they have better motion cadence than Canon. I do also miss my D800, just something about it's image. It's weakness was it's horrific moire.

16 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Thanks for the complement. I too like the look I got in that video. Yeah I actually loved the D750/nikon images, usability wise it was an issue with me before because I was doing a lot of Run & Gun. Now that I shoot mainly sticks, I'm considering picking one up. I don't know what nikon does, but I do think they have better motion cadence than Canon. I do also miss my D800, just something about it's image. It's weakness was it's horrific moire.

Nice clip. Yeah, I've used Sony, Samsung and Panasonic for the better part of the past year, with a few stints with BM, and after I got my XC10 and now this Nikon, I think I appreciate cameras made by traditional camera companies as opposed to electronic companies... IMO. 

Here's a short home movie I shot last year of my dad making a black berry pie! All straight out of the camera with no colour correction showing what the Nikon D5200 looks like in these conditions: interior near a window, and one LED light for fill. Modified Standard picture profile and lens used was the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 constant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_au...ature=youtu.be

9 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Mercer, those are the best sceencaps I've ever seen you post. Lovely work!

Thanks, man. I've been working on color grading some in my spare time, just not sharing every failure any more. There are a few hot spots I wish I could have cleaned up a little more, though. But all in all, I am loving this Nikon Flat... The image has a lot more resilience than I thought it would. 

1 hour ago, TrueIndigo said:

Here's a short home movie I shot last year of my dad making a black berry pie! All straight out of the camera with no colour correction showing what the Nikon D5200 looks like in these conditions: interior near a window, and one LED light for fill. Modified Standard picture profile and lens used was the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 constant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_au...ature=youtu.be

I'd love to see it, but the link doesn't work.

2 hours ago, TrueIndigo said:

"link doesn't work" -- you are right, sir! New link:

That Nikon image is so clean, nice work. I actually saw this video before. I don't remember when or why I watched it... Maybe I did a search of the lens you used. Either way, now I want some blackberry pie. 

9 hours ago, mercer said:

Has anyone used any of the Nikon D primes with the D5500, 5300... Or lower cameras? I'm pretty sure they will meter in camera but I just wanted to make sure... Also are the focus rings horrible?

They will meter but you wont have AF, also depending on the prime they have very bad focus rings. The AF-D zooms however are some of the best lenses ever made.