question about speed boosters for m43

vulgatron

29 minutes ago, bunk said:

Metabones_vs_JRcamera.jpg

For what it's worth. I have both a R.J.Camera and a metabones bmpcc speedbooster. Tested both on my GH4 with the nikon 25-50 f4. As both have different cropfactors I had to scale the R.J.camera a small 10 %. Adjusted the colors a bit (more green in the meta) ...and I have to say, to me the R.J. doesn't look worse.

Metabones_vs_JRcamera.tif

JRcamera_vs_Metabones.tif

Cool test. Interesting results. Btw, how do you like that 25-50mm? I've been eyeing that lens for a while, but it seems like it might be a beast of metal and glass?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I like it very much. It’s sharper than the 20-35 f2.8 and has the same old fashion build of the 35-70 f3.5 The focus throw is around 90 degrees. Wish it had the 120+ degrees focus throw of the 35-70, alas. It weights 600 grams. It’s close to if not parfocal and doesn’t breath. For $ 200,- it’s a steal in my opinion. There is one for $ 109.- on ebay at the moment, the glass looks fine.
The only disadvantage I can think of is that filters attach to the focus ring. But since I don’t use variable ND’s hardly a problem.

As it wasn’t for this site I probably  wouldn’t have bought it.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/2550mm.htm

Reason I like those old lenses is that you can do simple maintenance yourself …and if you fuck up you buy a new one and keep the other for spar parts.

btw. A nice trick to check if your zooms are near focal is to use a marble and make sure the sun creates a nice hotspot on it. Zoom in and focus on the hotspot and the zoom out. If the shape or intensity of the highlight changes it’s not parfocal. The 25-50 is spot on, the 20-35 not too much, and the 35-70 not at all. Before I discovered this phenomenon I thought all three were close to parfocal.

7 hours ago, bunk said:

I like it very much. It’s sharper than the 20-35 f2.8 and has the same old fashion build of the 35-70 f3.5 The focus throw is around 90 degrees. Wish it had the 120+ degrees focus throw of the 35-70, alas. It weights 600 grams. It’s close to if not parfocal and doesn’t breath. For $ 200,- it’s a steal in my opinion. There is one for $ 109.- on ebay at the moment, the glass looks fine.
The only disadvantage I can think of is that filters attach to the focus ring. But since I don’t use variable ND’s hardly a problem.

As it wasn’t for this site I probably  wouldn’t have bought it.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/2550mm.htm

Reason I like those old lenses is that you can do simple maintenance yourself …and if you fuck up you buy a new one and keep the other for spar parts.

btw. A nice trick to check if your zooms are near focal is to use a marble and make sure the sun creates a nice hotspot on it. Zoom in and focus on the hotspot and the zoom out. If the shape or intensity of the highlight changes it’s not parfocal. The 25-50 is spot on, the 20-35 not too much, and the 35-70 not at all. Before I discovered this phenomenon I thought all three were close to parfocal.

Sounds pretty good. It does seem a little big for my tastes, but that is a great focal range. I had the 35-70mm f3.5 for a little while. But I sold it a while back with the rest of my Nikkor lenses.

After a few months, I missed them so I've since started picking up newer copies. I decided to go with ai-S versions this time around with the 28mm f2 being my favorite. The only non-ai lens I'll keep is the 50mm f2 becaus it's one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. I just won a like new 35mm f2 for 70 bucks yesterday... Am excited for that one. I also have a cheapo 35-70mm 3.3-4.5. It gets bad reviews but I found it's a nice sleeper lens for video.

Is the 20-35mm the AF-D version, or is there an ai-s model too? I also have a couple older Tokina zooms in Nikon mount. I just bought a D5500, so I am re-exploring Nikon mount lenses.

17 hours ago, mercer said:

Is the 20-35mm the AF-D version, or is there an ai-s model too? I also have a couple older Tokina zooms in Nikon mount. I just bought a D5500, so I am re-exploring Nikon mount lenses.

First thing I did, when I got the lens, was open it up at the backside. The contact unit got fixated over the years so I had to use some force to loosen it. Apparently it was just a little bit too much force as the flex cable running to the motor snapped in two. As I never use AF, it was not a problem.
So yes it once was a AF-D. I have no experience with Tokina lenses but really like the Nikons thus far.

I finally thought that it might be a bit overkill for me right now going that route, and just found a used pana 42.5 1.7 for a good price as well as a 25 1.7, I think for now I'll give it a go with those since I believe I might end up with more trouble than satisfaction, although I really like the image that lens offer. In a couple of months I'll be travelling around doing some interview recordings and a bit of scenery and I think I'll have more than enough with the Panasonic primes, plus the mini 12-32 if I need wider shots. I'll probably carry that on a GX80 and if I don't sell It or trade it for a gh4/g80 with my RX10 mk2. They should keep me covered and lightweight.

1 minute ago, vulgatron said:

I finally thought that it might be a bit overkill for me right now going that route, and just found a used pana 42.5 1.7 for a good price as well as a 25 1.7, I think for now I'll give it a go with those since I believe I might end up with more trouble than satisfaction, although I really like the image that lens offer. In a couple of months I'll be travelling around doing some interview recordings and a bit of scenery and I think I'll have more than enough with the Panasonic primes, plus the mini 12-32 if I need wider shots. I'll probably carry that on a GX80 and if I don't sell It or trade it for a gh4/g80 with my RX10 mk2. They should keep me covered and lightweight.

The 42.5 f/1.7 is great for head shot interviews.  And the OIS works great with IBIS as well.