Google Pixel XL Camera Sample 4K - The Best Yet?

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I don't know if you are joking, but that could definitely explain the amazing quality!

In any case, in a couple of weeks I will know...

Not joking, I went looking for the video after it disappeared. I didn't see what the OP posted, but this one has come up as the Cinematic Pixel fake, and the poster supposedly did the same thing with the iPhone for the clickbait.

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/09/check-out-this-stunning-4k-footage-taken-with-the-pixel-xl-video/

"As for Google's touted video stabilization? It definitely works. I didn't have any extreme circumstances under which to test it, but for just holding your phone and walking around shooting video, it makes a huge difference. I mean, I doubt you'd think I was using a gimbal, but it's still very smooth."

"Finally, let's talk about the electronic image stabilization. It works! I have a video sample, shot in 4K, below, to demonstrate it. It does give video a slightly jarring panning effect if you're too subtle with your movement, but overall? For something shot with one hand over my head, this is incredibly smooth."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/18/google-pixel-review-a-very-good-phone-by-google/

There are quite few reviews out there, but non of them offered extensive review of the video. 

Stabilization looks alright, but interestingly it looks like pixel has HDR video during non-stabilized videos. Look at the much lower noise during the non-stabilized video on the left:

Here is a comparison between iphone 7, pixel, S7:

Maybe a bit sharper than what I like, but colors are better than the S7 so I am happy. 

Unfortunately while still among the top smartphone cameras, it is nothing close to what that youtube scammer had posted :) 

You guys seen this one? :grimace:

EKTRA_Phone_Main_2x.png

ManualMode_wOptions.png

Shoot in 4K video. Experiment with classic Kodak film grains, vignettes and Super 8 filters.

Experience the Kodak clarity, precision and detail that the world's leading filmmakers and photographers have always trusted.

~ http://www.kodak.com/consumer/products/ektra/default.htm

Yeah. Hum. Not sure. Kodak used to be a household name, now it might just be a gimmick? We'll have to see about that.

Meanwhile Xiaomi is at it again! Note 2 http://www.mi.com/minote2/ and concept (but real and soon availlable??) MIX: http://www.mi.com/mix/ . That's kind of exciting, no?

On 10/19/2016 at 2:08 PM, Don Kotlos said:

There are quite few reviews out there, but non of them offered extensive review of the video. 

Stabilization looks alright, but interestingly it looks like pixel has HDR video during non-stabilized videos. Look at the much lower noise during the non-stabilized video on the left

Here is a comparison between iphone 7, pixel,

Maybe a bit sharper than what I like, but colors are better than the S7 so I am happy. 

Unfortunately while still among the top smartphone cameras, it is nothing close to what that youtube scammer had posted :) 

The only usable one here is the S7.  If you look at the lines on the brick wall, it has the least amount of the micro rolling shutter and has no distracting micro motion blur for a split second that's an artifact from digital stabilization.  You can put warp stabilizer on the S7 footage and achieve some amazing results where the other 2, you can't correct micro motion blur or micro rolling shutter.

Overall, the image quality of all these phones are still pretty terrible.  But with some other apps, maybe you can achieve better results.

I wholeheartedly agree. There's a couple of things. Dynamic range, depth of field (and sharpness harshness front to back) , and codec/bitrate which really give it a smartphone look. That's the areas they really need to improve in! The Cinema4K app helps a little here.

Think it's a little gimmicky to say 'I shot this whole thing on just a smartphone'. Well, what was the reason behind it? 'Well, uh, it makes it instantly more impressive, no?'. Yeah, not sure it works that way. And it might be decent or good. But wouldn't it have turned out better with some more production behind it? And the things that are shot, weren't shot with 'just a smartphone'. Didn't they have like quite elaborate set-ups for it? I don't know. I don't think I'll be shooting anything meaningful on a smartphone any day soon. I'll still go for that dedicated camera option.

Here are my thoughts after playing with the Pixel that I received just yesterday. 

As many have already said, quality is very similar with most top end phones. It is not a replacement for a large sensor camera, it is just useful to have when the large sensor camera is not with you (c'mon you all know that happens :) ).  Add some skill, and you can get some useful footage out of any of these phones, that you would otherwise not have at all. Shoot a movie? Fuck no. 

I am not convinced by EIS yet. EIS artifacts seem worse in low light. It might have to do with the shutter speed I am not sure yet.  Not that OIS is much better. If you want stabilization then you are better off with that $300 Osmo mobile gimbal. I mean miles better. But really who is going to carry that osmo thingy around? 

Colors are better on the Pixel than the S7. In video makes more of a difference. 

Bad flares. You can also notice them on the sample videos posted in this thread. 

I would say photos are better on the Pixel as well, but Samsung has the best camera app. I doubt the average phone user would notice, but if you take photography seriously and you want to have full manual control then you are better off with the S7. Or download another app ;) .  

As a side note: I wasn't planning on using google assistant, but damn this thing just works. 

For camera, I'd love to pick up a new S7, but my S4 (i9506) is so damn sluggish despite its quadcore 2.3 GHz Krait 400 processor (seriously, wtf). At this point, I'm ready to jump ship to Pixel, even if it's not waterproof.