Sony a6500 limited record time

Cubanito

10 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Hehe, owners of a6300 will be happy for this, especially if no fw update gets released for their camera to match the 6500.

The a6300 firmware used in the test wasn't mentioned? In this test, firmware v1.10 (overheating fix) never overheated (over 2 hours of testing) when shooting in the shade at 26 degrees Celsius. (Still overheats on a hot day in direct sunlight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLGSFCpBEA

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, manufilm said:

The a6300 firmware used in the test wasn't mentioned? In this test, firmware v1.10 (overheating fix) never overheated (over 2 hours of testing) when shooting in the shade at 26 degrees Celsius. (Still overheats on a hot day in direct sunlight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLGSFCpBEA

Well the internet says the a6300 overheats after just a few minutes, WTF is up here?

Sarcasm.

I have 1.10 and my a6300 hasn't overheated yet. I live in Florida, its hot as hell here, I even shot a wedding in Tucson AZ, where its even hotter. 

Zero overheating.

But I didn't have any issues with the a7rII either, I shut my camera off between just about every take to preserve batteries. That's always worked for me, even with the a5100 and the Nex7 which overheated more than any E-mount body I've owned.

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

What's your problem? Where did I mention nx1? Or, perhaps, that camera is so much better than any sony you own that you feel obliged to dream about it in your worst nightmares? ;-)

Why do you find amusement with someone potentially having problems with their gear? That's the sad trolling part. So sad.

2 minutes ago, The Chris said:

Well the internet says the a6300 overheats after just a few minutes, WTF is up here?

Sarcasm.

I have 1.10 and my a6300 hasn't overheated yet. I live in Florida, its hot as hell here, I even shot a wedding in Tucson AZ, where its even hotter. 

Zero overheating.

But I didn't have any issues with the a7rII either, I shut my camera off between just about every take to preserve batteries. That's always worked for me, even with the a5100 and the Nex7 which overheated more than any E-mount body I've owned.

For me, the A6300 has never overheated in a studio setting (Arri Fresnels generating a lot of heat) and doing up to 20 minute takes in 4K. My main concern was the battery dying every hour or so. I had a T2i which I brought one time to the studio and after 20 seconds or so it would overheat and shut off. I did do a test once to see how long it would take to overheat and it took 56 minutes with firmware v1.0 (not v1.10).

It could be due to sample variation why there are A6300s out there with heat issues.

56 minutes ago, The Chris said:

Sarcasm.

Zero overheating.

Why do you find amusement with someone potentially having problems with their gear? That's the sad trolling part. So sad.

Nothing amusing with that. Just...seeing the worshippers of sony finally opening their eyes in front of hard realty.

I shot a wedding a few weeks ago with a full Sony kit, including one A6300. 20 minutes into the ceremony, overheating warning. I immediately switched to 1080p and continued rolling. It cooled down in a few minutes, but we were hoping to have the option to punch in on that angle later. This was in a church I'd peg at around 65 degrees. So yes, in my experience, the overheating is an active problem in some shooting situations.

That said, I'm strongly considering the A6500 to supplement my BMPCC and serve as my primary stills camera. Barring anything deal-breaking in the early reviews, the lure of IBIS, crazy ISO performance, excellent resolution, very usable touchscreen AF, solid DR, and APS-C is too much to ignore--especially considering the 40% off I get by ordering through my company.

23 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I shot a wedding a few weeks ago with a full Sony kit, including one A6300. 20 minutes into the ceremony, overheating warning. I immediately switched to 1080p and continued rolling. It cooled down in a few minutes, but we were hoping to have the option to punch in on that angle later. This was in a church I'd peg at around 65 degrees. So yes, in my experience, the overheating is an active problem in some shooting situations.

That said, I'm strongly considering the A6500 to supplement my BMPCC and serve as my primary stills camera. Barring anything deal-breaking in the early reviews, the lure of IBIS, crazy ISO performance, excellent resolution, very usable touchscreen AF, solid DR, and APS-C is too much to ignore--especially considering the 40% off I get by ordering through my company.

I'm wondering, did you use v1.0 or v1.10 of the firmware?

I never shoot 30 minute takes, and I shut the camera off constantly - overheating has never been an issue for me. I plopped my camera on a tripod in my backyard, it was 88 F outside, it ran until it hit the time limit with no temp warning. Body was warm, but my a7rII gets hotter if I do the same thing. Here's the camera just before it reset at the time limit. If the a6500 is better, sweet, it'll never be an issue for me.

IMG_1905.JPG

I have a simple question to a6300 users, since i am considering a6500 and iq wise they are pretty equal. I know that hd mode on a6300 is day & night in comparison with 4k, BUT do you consider it's hd image as acceptable? I know, acceptable is just a word, but will a6300 hd image be on par with, let's say, 5d mark iii 1080p h264 image? I searched the web for a proper detail comparison with 5d but almost everybody uses the sony in 4K mode.

13 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I have a simple question to a6300 users, since i am considering s6500 and iq wise they are pretty equal. I know that hd mode on a6300 is day & night in comparison with 4k, BUT do you consider it's hd image as acceptable? I know, acceptable is just a word, but will a6300 hd image be on par with, let's say, 5d mark iii 1080p h264 image? I searched the web for a proper detail comparison with 5d but almost everybody uses the sony in 4K mode.

5 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Laughter is not always amusement. Could be bitter laughter. And this is the case. Even 2 years after the release of 4k cameras with full sensor readout, able to give great iq, less rs and h.265 compression on the fly, at high bitrates, sony can't deliver a chip which is on par. This is sad.

I'm still waiting for the NX1 IBIS hack, or a fast prime wider than 85mm, or a parfocal cine zoom with stepless iris and no focus shift...

Your trolling is still sad.

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

I'm still waiting for the NX1 IBIS hack, or a fast prime wider than 85mm, or a parfocal cine zoom with stepless iris and no focus shift...

Your trolling is still sad.

And so is your "out of context reply". But I'll bite. I never cared about IBIS, since the DIS is really effective, especially when paired to the OIS in the lenses.

For the rest, an intelligent canon to NX adapter is in the work (lurk on the thread). When this is released...I guess you'll buy ten NX1 bodies...or not? :)

As to sony, I'm still waiting for a decent UI, sensor with less RS, h.265, high bitrate, decently priced good lenses, APSC lenses, ....................................... (too long a list)

On 14/10/2016 at 2:36 AM, The Chris said:

I never shoot 30 minute takes, and I shut the camera off constantly - overheating has never been an issue for me. I plopped my camera on a tripod in my backyard, it was 88 F outside, it ran until it hit the time limit with no temp warning. 

If the camera is under the sun it will heat very quickly. My a6300 (with updated firmware) heat up in LA direct sunlight in about 10 minutes with an overheating warning.

1 hour ago, hmcindie said:

If the camera is under the sun it will heat very quickly. My a6300 (with updated firmware) heat up in LA direct sunlight in about 10 minutes with an overheating warning.

Mine was out in the sun, I could have kept recording if I wanted to, but it was really pointless. I shot a friends wedding in Tucson AZ a couple weeks ago without issue too. I have a more recent copy, not sure if there were any tweaks, but my camera performs much better than the Newsshooter video. At this point its academic for me as I'm moving to the a6500 anyway.

22 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

And so is your "out of context reply". But I'll bite. I never cared about IBIS, since the DIS is really effective, especially when paired to the OIS in the lenses.

For the rest, an intelligent canon to NX adapter is in the work (lurk on the thread). When this is released...I guess you'll buy ten NX1 bodies...or not? :)

As to sony, I'm still waiting for a decent UI, sensor with less RS, h.265, high bitrate, decently priced good lenses, APSC lenses, ....................................... (too long a list)

I'll buy a NX1 when it gets IBIS and a decent lens selection. DIS creates too many artifacts for me and seems to amplify rolling shutter. Enjoy your camera.

You bought a 6300 (and whatever crop Sony you had before) without IBIS and no decent APS-C lens selection anyways, and no DIS for whenever reason, except no moding/hacking scene at all, that we enjoy amazing evolution to an already very good system; One of the most important aspects (even the Sony representatives make this a huge deal) is the touch screen, that you had to buy 3 cameras (6000-6300-6500) to make it happen (a business partner here bought the a6000 with full price, the a6300 for 1500euros a month ago, and now he has to find a way to buy the a6500, on the same time, I have the same camera, that is a huge financial advancement), while it was always there on the NX1, so yes, we did enjoy our cameras more, for more continuous time and no overheating, ever, just saying (-a logic statement here)..

It is also irrelevant and somehow futile to try to impose views on other people (another general statement, doesn't go to anyone specific). Everyone just has to enjoy whatever equipment has, and 25 years after my first (film) cameras, I have to say that we are living in exciting times and we are becoming a bit spoiled and soft!

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

You bought a 6300 (and whatever crop Sony you had before) without IBIS and no decent APS-C lens selection anyways, and no DIS for whenever reason, except no moding/hacking scene at all, that we enjoy amazing evolution to an already very good system; One of the most important aspects (even the Sony representatives make this a huge deal) is the touch screen, that you had to buy 3 cameras (6000-6300-6500) to make it happen (a business partner here bought the a6000 with full price, the a6300 for 1500euros a month ago, and now he has to find a way to buy the a6500, on the same time, I have the same camera, that is a huge financial advancement), while it was always there on the NX1, so yes, we did enjoy our cameras more, for more continuous time and no overheating, ever, just saying (-a logic statement here)..

It is also irrelevant and somehow futile to try to impose views on other people (another general statement, doesn't go to anyone specific). Everyone just has to enjoy whatever equipment has, and 25 years after my first (film) cameras, I have to say that we are living in exciting times and we are becoming a bit spoiled and soft!

Sony are more conservative/cautious than Samsung.  I have owned numerous products from both companies and Sony gear has always been superbly reliable.  On the other hand, our experience with Samsung gear has been less than stellar.  Our 1 month old 65" Samsung TV recently blew up.  Samsung washer's had to be recalled because they were going up in flames.  And the Galaxy 7 is an exploding death hazard.  There were massive delays at Melbourne Airport this morning due to scanning of carry-on luggage for Samsung handsets.  I have zero interest in anything from Samsung going forward.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

You got me, everything pales compared to the NX1. I know this because I read it in every new camera thread, despite the fact it's dead, there are few good lenses for it, noise above 1600 is awful, stills aren't anything special, you have to deal with overly aggressive NR, no log profiles and so on. I had one, limited lenses (most are average to mediocre) and noise killed it for me. I'm obviously not alone since it was a bomb that forced Samsung to pull the plug.

Endless camera threads with the NX1 virtues and speculation to what the next FW update or NX2 would have been is so played, I'm checking out of here. 

Enjoy your camera.

Peace out.