$5700 what canon camera do I buy?

omar

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

You could mention that the FS5 can't touch the C100 on ergonomics, auto focus, or baked in color. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Nope, I'd say the FS5 is ahead of the C100 on ergonomics.

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Someone who is used to the 60d wants a better camera will probably do very well with the C100ii. 

Exactly the same could be said about the FS5, they'd do well to step up to that as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Thought we where over this camera x is better than camera y. No camera is better than another, it depends on the user. If you ask Iron Film the FS5 is better. If you ask me the c100ii clearly wins. None of us is right or wrong.

To answer the title question. Me personally I would look at a used c100i. Here they cost about the same as a Panasonic g80/85. Crazy value. And then I would have lots of spare cash for sound gear, lenses, or mayby just a vacation if I already have everything I need.

But thats just me.

7 minutes ago, pablogrollan said:

Please tell me where to get a C100 for 700 € + VAT and I'll buy it right away...

+1
In Germany it sells used for around 2000€, if it has the AF upgrade sometimes slightly higher. The used C100 II goes for roughly 3000€, so I'd probably directly go for the II at these prices.

I actually ended up buying a c100 mk II for $3599 brand new on this site: http://m.fumfie.com/product/ID515C6/view/

it has since went up in price so I got it just in time. Thanks for all of your advice guys! Much appreciated!

And as far as the FS5 goes I think it's a great camera. Sony has all of the features a video guy wants but there's something that keeps bringing me back to canon. I think it's the look and the colors and canons menu system. 

ive personally owned many cameras. I've owned, the original c100, BMCC, BMPCC, canon 5D II&III, Sony A7s, Sony F35, ursa mini 4K, and they are all great cameras but with all of my experience with these cameras I choose canon becasue of the colors and ease of use(you can't beat the F35's look though. I just wish it was smaller). 

I rented an FS7 once and, while it had a great image, the menu system was horrible. I didn't even know how to change the ISO with some picture profiles that I used. While some might enjoy the complicate Sony menu, I don't. I don't have time for that. I need to be able pick up my camera and shoot. Canon wins for me on that end, but Sony might win for someone else. 

I do definitely think Sonys winning on the innovative side of things. 

• Super Members
3 hours ago, pablogrollan said:

Please tell me where to get a C100 for 700 € + VAT and I'll buy it right away...

Just looked quickly on the G80 price, it seems it was the kit with a 14-140mm that I compared to. A couple used C100i Ive found are/where a few bucks cheaper.
So my earlier post still stands, if it would have been me I would have gone for the C100i.

10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Thought we where over this camera x is better than camera y. No camera is better than another, it depends on the user. If you ask Iron Film the FS5 is better. If you ask me the c100ii clearly wins. None of us is right or wrong.

To answer the title question. Me personally I would look at a used c100i. Here they cost about the same as a Panasonic g80/85. Crazy value. And then I would have lots of spare cash for sound gear, lenses, or mayby just a vacation if I already have everything I need.

But thats just me.

Even I'd say a used Canon C100mk1 is worth considering if you can buy it for the same price as a Panasonic G80!

3 hours ago, omar said:

I rented an FS7 once and, while it had a great image, the menu system was horrible. I didn't even know how to change the ISO with some picture profiles that I used. While some might enjoy the complicate Sony menu, I don't.

Put a little bit of time into learning it, and spend a few shoots with it, and you'll find it as easy to fly around the menus as any other camera. Is it really too much effort to ask of a person to put that little bit of background research and experience into a new camera they get so that they're then comfortable with it? I don't think so. 

I think this is where a lot of the anti-Sony feelings come from, there is a VAST amount of people with a Canon background, and when they pick up a Sony they then hate it not for anything at all bad about the Sony but just because it is "not Canon". As they've spent too long with Canon and are too inflexible to quickly pick something else up new?!

Just now, Cinegain said:

Why can't everything have an interface like the Blackmagic cameras?

I just picked up a pocket, am selling my micro and you ain't kidding, the menus are so simple and straightforward.

17 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think it is more like 10% Sony (but that greater complexity largely comes from them packing in so many features... you wouldn't have that problem if they did less! But  you wouldn't want that) & 90% a meme created by Canon shooters.

I just don't know why it's such a big deal that somebody wants a C100ii instead of an FS5? It really just comes down to personal taste. I have no interest in rigging cameras, so I bought a pocket to replace my micro. To a lot of others, the micro is the obvious choice of the two. I like the easily accessible Canon colors and menus more so than the Sony variety, it doesn't mean Sony is bad, just different tastes. 

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

I just picked up a pocket, am selling my micro and you ain't kidding, the menus are so simple and straightforward.

Agreed! But wait... :astonished: Micro turned out to be a little too cumbersome?

There's still the issue with the battery life, but I do love that everything is well contained within the little device. I had the famous Kiev-16U triplets (MIR-11M 12.5mm, VEGA 7-1 20mm & TAIR-41M 50mm f/2 lenses) sent to me a little while back. Man, they were tiny, I imagined them way chunkier for some reason. Still awaiting the adapter. Not shooting my BMPCCs much these days, in favor of the easy going Panasonics, but I figured that new set might change things up! Read more here: http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/kiev-16u-lenses/  , and maybe get yourself some as well. :grin: We're talking C100mkII... FS5... etc. Or frankensteining the Micro... but it's lovely to scale things down to silly basics sometimes, isnt it?

15 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Agreed! But wait... :astonished: Micro turned out to be a little too cumbersome?

There's still the issue with the battery life, but I do love that everything is well contained within the little device. I had the famous Kiev-16U triplets (MIR-11M 12.5mm, VEGA 7-1 20mm & TAIR-41M 50mm f/2 lenses) sent to me a little while back. Man, they were tiny, I imagined them way chunkier for some reason. Still awaiting the adapter. Not shooting my BMPCCs much these days, in favor of the easy going Panasonics, but I figured that new set might change things up! Read more here: http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/kiev-16u-lenses/  , and maybe get yourself some as well. :grin: We're talking C100mkII... FS5... etc. Or frankensteining the Micro... but it's lovely to scale things down to silly basics sometimes, isnt it?

Yeah, the added monitor turns the micro into a monster. I picked up the pocket and the panny 12-35mm. With OIS on I can go handheld and I look like some tourist taking photos. It's so much fun.

I have a Meopta 20mm, which I think may just be the Vega 20mm in a different housing. It's quickly become one of my favorite c-mount lenses... Sharp as a tack. I just wish it had a normal filter ring size.

But I'm really trying to downscale everything. I have too many lenses and too many cameras. I just want a simple set up for the Pocket... The 12-35mm, maybe the 20 or 25mm... Maybe. And then a small handful of c-mounts. I already have a complete collection of Cosmicar 1.9 c-mounts... The zebra lenses and they are awesome. I'd love to set up the Fujinons because I really like the lenses, but it's too much trouble getting them modified, or modifying them myself...

This was also an issue I had with the micro... Half my time with it was rigging it and figuring out DIY set ups... It became a culture of modification when I just want to easily get footage.

With my current Pocket/Panny combo, the biggest issue is charging batteries and choosing whether to shoot ProRes or Raw.

Sorry Omar for the off topic. 

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, the added monitor turns the micro into a monster. I picked up the pocket and the panny 12-35mm. With OIS on I can go handheld and I look like some tourist taking photos. It's so much fun.

I have a Meopta 20mm, which I think may just be the Vega 20mm in a different housing. It's quickly become one of my favorite c-mount lenses... Sharp as a tack. I just wish it had a normal filter ring size.

But I'm really trying to downscale everything. I have too many lenses and too many cameras. I just want a simple set up for the Pocket... The 12-35mm, maybe the 20 or 25mm... Maybe. And then a small handful of c-mounts. I already have a complete collection of Cosmicar 1.9 c-mounts... The zebra lenses and they are awesome. I'd love to set up the Fujinons because I really like the lenses, but it's too much trouble getting them modified, or modifying them myself...

This was also an issue I had with the micro... Half my time with it was rigging it and figuring out DIY set ups... It became a culture of modification when I just want to easily get footage.

With my current Pocket/Panny combo, the biggest issue is charging batteries and choosing whether to shoot ProRes or Raw.

Sorry Omar for the off topic. 

Lol no need to apologize. This thread is open to whatever anyone wants to say. I don't mind it at all. I enjoy learning from all the camera geeks :)

On 10/12/2016 at 10:03 AM, mercer said:

I just don't know why it's such a big deal that somebody wants a C100ii instead of an FS5? It really just comes down to personal taste.

Just because I'm somewhat "anti" Canon doesn't mean I won't use them! After all I just this moment got back home from shooting a music video with a Canon C100 ;-) Will post my thoughts soon, but for now... it is saturday night and I'm heading out to town!

IronFilm I am curious about your thoughts!!!!

Question 1: Also, Omar et. al:  any reason you'd prefer to buy a brand new c100 II vs. used?  I live in Queens NY and have seen a few for sale 1500-2000 on craigslist.  Anything I should be aware of?  Seems like a much better deal.  If I get it for 2000 and buy a 24-105 for 900 then i'd save 1500 from BH.

Question 2:  If you got a c100 I with DPAF is the detail/ISO performance much better on a c100 II?