$5700 what canon camera do I buy?

omar

Whats up EOSHD!

I have around a $5700 budget and need help buying a new camera package. I don't wanna spend all my dough on the camera so nothing too too pricey. I have canon lenses so I want to stick with canon. I make mainly promo corporate videos and sometimes short films. 

I currently own a 60d and an canon SL1. I'm torn between getting a c100 mk I, 1DC, xc15, or c100mk II. Let me know what you guys think. Need a camera package soon. Thanks! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd still get the C100ii. Since you're coming from a modest Canon background, there's no reason to switch now. With your budget you can get a new c100ii, a good Sennheiser Mic, a good tripod, maybe a Stedicam Solo or a Movi. You can put together a really nice kit that will be a money maker and have itself paid off in no time. Then you can go experiment with a Sony or an Ursa.

Btw, what Canon lenses do you have?

10 minutes ago, omar said:

Thank guys! I know I said I want to stick with canon but I kind have some interest towards the FS5. What do you think about the FS5 over the c100 mkii?

I thought you didn't want to spend your whole budget on a camera? :)

It's a fantastic option, with great features and 4K, with the RAW output available for your film work.

It's Autofocus is inferior to the C100 Mark 2, and it's menu system is much more complicated. You'll have to add the cost of the Metabones adapter to get all the features of your canon lenses as well.

53 minutes ago, mercer said:

I'd still get the C100ii. Since you're coming from a modest Canon background, there's no reason to switch now. With your budget you can get a new c100ii, a good Sennheiser Mic, a good tripod, maybe a Stedicam Solo or a Movi. You can put together a really nice kit that will be a money maker and have itself paid off in no time. Then you can go experiment with a Sony or an Ursa.

Exactly this!! You should take this route if you don't want to spend all your money on your camera.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Great point! Thanks! I do need some sort of stabilizer. Seems like c100 mk II is the best choice. 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

I thought you didn't want to spend your whole budget on a camera? :)

It's a fantastic option, with great features and 4K, with the RAW output available for your film work.

It's Autofocus is inferior to the C100 Mark 2, and it's menu system is much more complicated. You'll have to add the cost of the Metabones adapter to get all the features of your canon lenses as well.

lol I know. I was just flirting with the idea. The fs5 has so many features that I want but can't afford it right now. Thanks for the comment and info!

What motorized gimbal would you guys recommend? OR should I go with a cheaper steadicam Merlin or something?

Just bought a c100 mkii. Thanks guys! If you guys know of any info on gimbals let me know. Thats the next thing on my list :)

2 hours ago, mercer said:

The canon lenses I own are: 

canon 24-70 2.8 L

tokina 11-16 2.8 L

canon 50mm 1.4

7 hours ago, omar said:

$5700 what canon camera do I buy?

How about... NONE??

Get a Sony FS5 instead. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Since you're coming from a modest Canon background, there's no reason to switch now.

I think in his situation then he is in a perfect place to jump ship to something better, as with merely a 60D & SL1 he is hardly heavily locked into the Canon ecosystem right now.

Definitely C100mkII, and spend wisely the rest of the money for sound, and you are good to go out there and make some money!

60D and SL1 are just way inferior, you will be excited using the mkII, you can get a cheap 18-135 STM that is my run and gun choice, and having already the Tokina, the 50mm and the 24-70 you can have better quality from quite wide to tele-ish range, if the 18-135 doesn't cut it, but for corporate, or live, it does the job most of the time.

Probably you have some money left to get the new M after a couple of jobs (and when the price comes down a bit) to have it as a second camera, or backup, and/or photographic one.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

How about... NONE??

Get a Sony FS5 instead. 

I think in his situation then he is in a perfect place to jump ship to something better, as with merely a 60D & SL1 he is hardly heavily locked into the Canon ecosystem right now.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more here. Chances are Omar was doing very little color work with his Canons and since he uses them and his lenses for paid gigs, why would he want to switch to a whole new camera system, at FS5 money? The C100ii is a good upgrade that will get him work and get him to the next level of color and equipment. 

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more here. Chances are Omar was doing very little color work with his Canons and since he uses them and his lenses for paid gigs, why would he want to switch to a whole new camera system, at FS5 money? The C100ii is a good upgrade that will get him work and get him to the next level of color and equipment. 

Seriously, the C100ii is such a beautiful image. A friend of mine just bought one. The colors are just so dialed. A tiny bit of noise doesn't even bug me when the color looks this good. Also light weight and a ton of fun to shoot with.

https://vimeo.com/178928164

54 minutes ago, mercer said:

An FS5 will get him work too, as B cam to FS7/F5/F55 jobs, and A cam for lots of similar jobs you'd do with C100. 
Plus the FS5 has a level of diverse versatility that the C100 can not come close to matching with 4K option, raw recording, and slow motion.
He has only a very small selection of lenses, thus luckily he has no (or only very low) lock in to the Canon ecosystem, and he can keep using them with an FS5.
As for color, just apply LC709a. Easy, now you're sorted for low budget / quick turn around jobs. For higher end coloring you can go with raw. While the C100 can't even do 10bit!

46 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Seriously, the C100ii is such a beautiful image. A friend of mine just bought one. The colors are just so dialed. A tiny bit of noise doesn't even bug me when the color looks this good. Also light weight and a ton of fun to shoot with.

https://vimeo.com/178928164

Yeah that looks brilliant. I am sometimes half tempted to sell every camera and lens I own, except my Canon 35mm f2, and buy one. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah that looks brilliant. I am sometimes half tempted to sell every camera and lens I own, except my Canon 35mm f2, and buy one. 

The way the sensor picks up color is unreal. Obviously that's optimal lighting, but it does great in mixed lights, interviews of course. A c100ii and a pocket camera seems like a cool combo. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

An FS5 will get him work too, as B cam to FS7/F5/F55 jobs, and A cam for lots of similar jobs you'd do with C100. 
Plus the FS5 has a level of diverse versatility that the C100 can not come close to matching with 4K option, raw recording, and slow motion.
He has only a very small selection of lenses, thus luckily he has no (or only very low) lock in to the Canon ecosystem, and he can keep using them with an FS5.
As for color, just apply LC709a. Easy, now you're sorted for low budget / quick turn around jobs. For higher end coloring you can go with raw. While the C100 can't even do 10bit!

You could mention that the FS5 can't touch the C100 on ergonomics, auto focus, or baked in color. They both have strengths and weaknesses.  Someone who is used to the 60d wants a better camera will probably do very well with the C100ii. 

46 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

The way the sensor picks up color is unreal. Obviously that's optimal lighting, but it does great in mixed lights, interviews of course. A c100ii and a pocket camera seems like a cool combo. 

I thought the same thing except an XC10/Pocket combo... not necessarily for the same project.

But there's just something about that S35 C100ii image.