BMMCC handle/evf.

tweak

So when is someone going to make a seamless BMMCC grip that integrates smoothly with the body creating a DSLR type form factor and giving you new record and other important buttons? I thought this would have happened already. Surprised BM didn't release one themselves, also a slimmed down version of their new Ursa EVF, I bet they would sell a ton.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wooden Camera Handgrip with LANC module+rosette mount+cage is a more-less ready to use solution but pretty expensive all together and you still need to wire DIY cable adapter. SmallRig calms to announce a grip integrated to their cage with rosette mount this week, but seems it will be a grip only without any control buttons.

To be honest I'm not. Look at the cost of a good quality wooden grip, that's 200-500$. Then consider that people expect it to have a bunch of buttons, which would put it at the higher end of that scale. Then consider how many people have a BMMCC and how many of those would buy the grip? I think the market is too small.

In general I feel kitting out the BMMCC into a great handheld system doesn't really make sense for price reasons.

Many people consider this the minimum setup:
BMMCC 1000€
Monitor 500€
Cage 100€
Speed Booster 850€
OLPF 350€

That already puts you at 2800€ which probably kills the attractivity of the BMMCC to rig it out as a fancy handheld camera if you don't already have the stuff lying around from a BMPCC. If you would add a fancy handgrip for 500€, you might as well have directly looked at buying an Ursa Mini when we ignore size/weight differences.

Have you ever seen how cheap China can pump out DSLR battery grips? I'm pretty sure someone could make one for under 150dollars and people would buy it for sure. I don't want a cage, just a battery grip style job. Maybe the problem is China needs something that already exists to copy? Either way even if it was 200-300 I think you underestimate peoples obsession for gear :glasses:.

I don't particularly like these fancy wooden grips, they are over-priced and too bulky for my tastes.

I will agree that right now kitting out a BMMCC to an adequate form with SB and Monitor isn't worth it over a 5Dmkiii (personally).

9 minutes ago, tweak said:

Have you ever seen how cheap China can pump out DSLR battery grips? I'm pretty sure someone could make one for under 150dollars and people would buy it for sure. I don't want a cage, just a battery grip style job. Maybe the problem is China needs something that already exists to copy? Either way even if it was 200-300 I think you underestimate peoples obsession for gear :glasses:.

I don't particularly like these fancy wooden grips, they are over-priced and too bulky for my tastes.

I will agree that right now kitting out a BMMCC to an adequate form with SB and Monitor isn't worth it over a 5Dmkiii (personally).

Agreed but it's still the priniciple of economies of scale. How many 3rd party battery grips for the Canon 5D III did they sell and how many grips for the BMMCC do they expect to sell? The more you produce, the cheaper you can be.

Not to sound negative, I would love to have a grip with controls because I think the BMMCC is so much cooler than the BMPCC. There's actually a thread over at BMCuser where the user Stelvis 3D modelled the rig of my wet dreams
http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?18560-micro-camera-custom-grip-rig-breakout-uber-build

Oh, don't worry I understand haha. It's also part the reason those China grips are so cheap, but we can all try and dream right? :grin:.

Even a 3D printed version would suffice I think. Could you post the pictures from that thread? I'm not a member so I can't see anything... pretty stupid protocol. 

On 10/11/2016 at 10:07 AM, Phil A said:

To be honest I'm not. Look at the cost of a good quality wooden grip, that's 200-500$. Then consider that people expect it to have a bunch of buttons, which would put it at the higher end of that scale. Then consider how many people have a BMMCC and how many of those would buy the grip? I think the market is too small.

In general I feel kitting out the BMMCC into a great handheld system doesn't really make sense for price reasons.

Many people consider this the minimum setup:
BMMCC 1000€
Monitor 500€
Cage 100€
Speed Booster 850€
OLPF 350€

That already puts you at 2800€ which probably kills the attractivity of the BMMCC to rig it out as a fancy handheld camera if you don't already have the stuff lying around from a BMPCC. If you would add a fancy handgrip for 500€, you might as well have directly looked at buying an Ursa Mini when we ignore size/weight differences.

I feel I've incrementally thrown way too much money at the BMMCC to get it functioning - vintage super16 lenses, SmallHD 502, Small Rig cage, rods, Mattebox, IRND - and now looking at shouldermount/lanc trigger options. Still most of this stuff can/will be used for other rigs in future so if you look at it as brain only, it still works out to be good value..