Geoff CB

GFILM: An easily graded Flat Profile for Sony Cameras

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Gregormannschaft said:

I'd apologise for reviving this thread but I think Geoff's colour profile is good enough to warrant more views. I just finished the edit on a travel film I made having used the profile in Sri Lanka on the Sony A7S II with Slog2/Slog3.cine. 

Happy with a lot of the shots, although some shots were trickier to grade than others I think that's down to my pretty novice skills as a colourist and occasionally getting the exposure a little off on the high contrast scenes.

Anyway, thanks again to Geoff. Would appreciate any feedback from the folks who watch it.

Wow, that is some incredible work. Loved the zoom cuts :)

Great video @Gregormannschaft thanks for sharing.  Loved the color grading, cinematography and especially the zoom transitions as Geoff CB mentioned.  Any tips on how to do them?  I am trying to do some on a video I'm working on now (in Premiere Pro) and I've done some with an adjustment layer + transform effect for the zoom keyframes, shutter angle at 360.  It looks OK but not as slick as yours.

3 hours ago, tellure said:

Great video @Gregormannschaft thanks for sharing.  Loved the color grading, cinematography and especially the zoom transitions as Geoff CB mentioned.  Any tips on how to do them?  I am trying to do some on a video I'm working on now (in Premiere Pro) and I've done some with an adjustment layer + transform effect for the zoom keyframes, shutter angle at 360.  It looks OK but not as slick as yours.

Cheers Tellure, I'll send you a quick PM with the details. The way I did them was very easy, I actually need to teach myself a little more on varying, throwing in a few roll transitions etc.

On 10/10/2016 at 4:54 PM, Geoff CB said:

BEACHORIGIONAL.jpg

BEACHColored.jpg

GFILM
Made for A7rII, should work on A7s, A7sII, A6300, A6500  EDIT: While it will work on all these cameras, some have been reporting subpar results on the origional a7s due to its slightly different color science. I've only tested myself on the A7r II, results may very slightly on other cameras.

I've been trying to give the A7r II a look similar to "Film" on the blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6K. The need arose because I am shooting with the two camera side by side and need to edit them together.

Had a couple goals with this:
- Get away from the "Magenta" look
- Be able to match with BM "Film" in post
- A flat profile that doesn't break when grading like S-log sometimes does, is easier to shoot with, and can get a get a great look with a simple color wheel adjustment.
- Don't clip any color channel

Let me know what you guys think!

Black Level: 0
Gamma: S-Log2
Black Gamma 
- Range: Middle
- Level: 0
Knee: Manual  (It blows my mind this is left on Auto by default, it controls how the highlights behave)
- point: 77.5%
- slope: +3
Color Mode:
A7r II: Pro - Works well by manually grading, also works well with Blackmagic 4.6K LUTS
A7s II / A6500 / FS5: S-Gamut3.cine - Works very well with Arri Alexa based LUTs
Saturation: +3
Color Phase: -4
Color Depth: (Wish they would let this be adjusted for highlights/midtones/blacks independently)
- R: +5
- G: +7
- B: +3
- C: +2
- M: -2
- Y: +2
Detail: -7
- Mode: Manual
- V/H Balance: 0
- B&W Balance: Type5
- Limit: 3
- Crispening: 3
- Hi-Light Detail: 0

Couple notes on shooting with this:

-Always overexpose by at least one stop to get a clean image.
-Set WB manually, do not leave on Auto
-Shoot at the native ISO of your camera

All samples shot in FF mode on the A7rII, will post more from the short film when I have permission.

C0043.MP4.11_04_16_03.Still001.jpg

(This shot above was underexposed, resulting in noisier blacks)

banjo.jpg

pots.jpg

firetruck.jpg

rivergraded.jpg

So always use the base ISO (800 on my A6500)? So when I have to overexpose 1-2 stops, I need to do that by adding more light to the scene or adjusting the aperture, right? Since the ISO has to be at 800. Do you always keep it at native ISO, or is there headroom to adjust to ISO to get the overexposure?

On 5/30/2017 at 4:44 AM, Micah Mahaffey said:

Gonna try it out! Only question, why crispening at +3? 

Just the setting that worked best for me, to me gives some more bite. 

UPDATE:
I've created this correction LUT for viewing on external monitors and to provide a quick correction in post. Keep in mind that this is a correction LUT, and does not replace actual grading, it's just meant to give you a good base. I typically apply this then raise the highlights/exposure further.

Please feel free to test and give feedback!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0n4afeTfggjamF1TFFna05DdGM

brandonpreee_1_41.2.thumb.jpg.bcc09ba74fed64ecc90739161dfb3269.jpg

brandonpost.thumb.jpg.4960e44512898f6079007c520faa540d.jpg

Leavepre_1.5.2.thumb.jpg.ffc6d8fa00fc7e1ffe0ef0a31ebdc4f9.jpgleavespost_1.5.1.thumb.jpg.49fb482ad272e802563e4cde26f5b267.jpg

592ef25793503_bikerpre_1.7.2.thumb.jpg.66be738887c68949209bc583eacd0c1a.jpg

592ef2691baab_bikerpost_1.7.1.thumb.jpg.b38de9bc63e7d3b38ade8e4d10355b20.jpg

windowpre_1.3.2.thumb.jpg.988b37defb1aa007cb54ee59d28e5ffc.jpg

windowpost_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.0881811a8f1293d27472fffb50320f6d.jpg

@Geoff CB

I just have to tell ya how awesome this profile is working for me. Probably the most pleasing profile settings i have used for the Sony Mirrorless cameras, and I have tried A LOT of profiles, everyone seems to have there own take...every other profile I have tried has had some issue...I love the way the greens pop with this profile, very alexa like. So very nice work and thank you for making this available to everyone for free, you certainly didnt have to. I just paid money for a couple new slog profiles to try out and they arent working well at all...wasted money. That is why I feel so compelled to tell you how much I appreciate you giving away knowledge for free. This has made me realize I am no longer going to waste money on profiles and whatnot...more often than not people are just gimicking you into buying it. And again, more times than not, it is the free knowledge people give away that is most useful, as opposed to when people make you pay.

So thanks again!

On 9/18/2017 at 11:47 AM, JeremyDulac said:

@Geoff CB

I just have to tell ya how awesome this profile is working for me. Probably the most pleasing profile settings i have used for the Sony Mirrorless cameras, and I have tried A LOT of profiles, everyone seems to have there own take...every other profile I have tried has had some issue...I love the way the greens pop with this profile, very alexa like. So very nice work and thank you for making this available to everyone for free, you certainly didnt have to. I just paid money for a couple new slog profiles to try out and they arent working well at all...wasted money. That is why I feel so compelled to tell you how much I appreciate you giving away knowledge for free. This has made me realize I am no longer going to waste money on profiles and whatnot...more often than not people are just gimicking you into buying it. And again, more times than not, it is the free knowledge people give away that is most useful, as opposed to when people make you pay.

So thanks again!

Couldn't agree more! 

On 10/31/2017 at 8:36 AM, Andreas Kryp said:

I have a sony a6300 should i use the S-gamut3.cine or the Pro Color Mode?

I've been using pro, I feel like the skin tones look more lively, but honestly i've been stumped, would like to see if anyone thinks differently? For the a6300, if I wanted to get as close to Blackmagic footage would I want to use pro or S-gamut3.cine?

53 minutes ago, Micah Mahaffey said:

I've been using pro, I feel like the skin tones look more lively, but honestly i've been stumped, would like to see if anyone thinks differently? For the a6300, if I wanted to get as close to Blackmagic footage would I want to use pro or S-gamut3.cine?

Wouldn't the best answer be, "Try both and then you decide"?

7 hours ago, Micah Mahaffey said:

Well, I've tried both, I like pro, but whats closer to the blackmagic? I don't currently have one to compare. 

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. Unfortunately, I don't have a Blackmagic either. That said, I still really like this profile.

8 hours ago, Micah Mahaffey said:

Well, I've tried both, I like pro, but whats closer to the blackmagic? I don't currently have one to compare. 

I apologize for the smart ass comment, but if you are looking for the BlackMagic look... why not get a BlackMagic? I believe the point of creating GFilm was to match B-Roll shot with a Sony to the A-Roll that was shot with an Ursa and Geoff created a nice recipe here. But if you’re searching for that look, it may be better/easier to pick up a BMMCC, BMCC, or an Ursa... they’re getting pretty damn cheap now.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

I apologize for the smart ass comment, but if you are looking for the BlackMagic look... why not get a BlackMagic? I believe the point of creating GFilm was to match B-Roll shot with a Sony to the A-Roll that was shot with an Ursa and Geoff created a nice recipe here. But if you’re searching for that look, it may be better/easier to pick up a BMMCC, BMCC, or an Ursa... they’re getting pretty damn cheap now.

Well, I'd love a blackmagic! Only issue for me is the low light capabilities and censor sizes.. :/ If I could get close I'd be content, Which honestly GFILM is amazingly close, Just think it'd be awesome to have that blackmagic look with none of the drawbacks :) either way I'm content with the pro color gamut, just wasn't sure if anyone has obtained better results with any other color gamuts

Don't think I ever actually put this here whoops! Wish I had used some fill instead of just natural light, and the grading is harsher than what I would usually do. I did not save this footage so I can't re-edit it :( (Video actually starts at :45 )

On 11/8/2017 at 4:01 PM, Micah Mahaffey said:

Well, I'd love a blackmagic! Only issue for me is the low light capabilities and censor sizes.. :/ If I could get close I'd be content, Which honestly GFILM is amazingly close, Just think it'd be awesome to have that blackmagic look with none of the drawbacks :) either way I'm content with the pro color gamut, just wasn't sure if anyone has obtained better results with any other color gamuts

People have experimented with others, but results seem to very and it does create a different look.