Geoff CB

GFILM: An easily graded Flat Profile for Sony Cameras

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Some test shots of a slightly modified GFilm with the RX10ii. I tested with some high contrast shots to see how it would hold up. I see a little banding, but it isn't too bad.

Does anyone know if Sony tweaks the basic SLog2 depending upon the sensor?

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

Interesting stuff, what lens did you use for these?

1 minute ago, Geoff CB said:

Interesting stuff, what lens did you use for these?

It's the RX10ii, so the built in Zeiss lens. I am going to have to get some more ND for it though, because at the base ISO of 800 and the built in ND, exposing at +1.7, the lens was closing to f/14... so I was definitely experiencing some diffraction. Although the 4K footage out of RX10ii is known to not be that great, with the diffraction, the shots were practically useless, they were so soft. 

5 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Actually enjoy the softness, looks a little like BMPCC footage. Add a little sharpening and grain and I think it would sing.

I effed up and used AWB on those shots. On the later 4K tests I dialed in the WB and there was a night and day difference. In fact, this is the first camera where I dialed in WB and didn't have to correct it in post. 

12 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Actually enjoy the softness, looks a little like BMPCC footage. Add a little sharpening and grain and I think it would sing.

What do you use for sharpening and grain? In FCPX, they have a sharpen effect but I wasn't sure if it was shite. I think I have some Gorilla Grain overlays somewhere. 

12 hours ago, mercer said:

I effed up and used AWB on those shots. On the later 4K tests I dialed in the WB and there was a night and day difference. In fact, this is the first camera where I dialed in WB and didn't have to correct it in post. 

What do you use for sharpening and grain? In FCPX, they have a sharpen effect but I wasn't sure if it was shite. I think I have some Gorilla Grain overlays somewhere. 

I use Resolve under detail setting, then the built in grain.

Here's a outtake from a recent shoot interview shoot.

4 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah that looks great... just enough sharpening and grain to add a little zing and a texture. Good job making her feel comfortable too... she was all smiles and goofy faces.

On 07.02.2017 at 1:50 AM, mercer said:

Some test shots of a slightly modified GFilm with the RX10ii. I tested with some high contrast shots to see how it would hold up. I see a little banding, but it isn't too bad.

Does anyone know if Sony tweaks the basic SLog2 depending upon the sensor?

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

Thanks for this video. I own rx10ii, and looking for good in camera colors. Yours video looks good. Can you share the settings? Did you do any cc? Thanks

41 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Thanks for this video. I own rx10ii, and looking for good in camera colors. Yours video looks good. Can you share the settings? Did you do any cc? Thanks

Thanks. I'm not near my camera right now, so I can't tell you the exact settings... but it is SLog2 with Cinema Color, I lowered the black gamma a couple notches and raised saturation to +8. I did adjust the Knee but I don't really see a difference between Manual and Auto, so I will probably go back to Auto.

Otherwise, I adjusted the individual colors a couple notches up or down. I don't remember the exact settings off hand. I came upon the settings by adjusting the colors right after I went grocery shopping. Food labels show so many different colors that I just adjusted them to look as realistic as they could in a flattened profile.

When I was finished tinkering with the settings, I realized my settings were close to Geoff's, but I think his settings will probably get you to a quicker finished product than mine... and I am probably going to tweak a few more things as my tests continue.

And finally, yes I did a little color correcting... an S-Curve, adjusted saturation in the highs/mids/lows separately and then finally I added an Impulz Kodak Chrome FPE LUT at the end.

How do you like the RX10ii? I am actually pretty blown away by it. It wasn't on my radar at all and I happened upon a few videos one day, and then that night I found a great deal on one.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Thanks. I'm not near my camera right now, so I can't tell you the exact settings... but it is SLog2 with Cinema Color, I lowered the black gamma a couple notches and raised saturation to +8. I did adjust the Knee but I don't really see a difference between Manual and Auto, so I will probably go back to Auto.

Otherwise, I adjusted the individual colors a couple notches up or down. I don't remember the exact settings off hand. I came upon the settings by adjusting the colors right after I went grocery shopping. Food labels show so many different colors that I just adjusted them to look as realistic as they could in a flattened profile.

When I was finished tinkering with the settings, I realized my settings were close to Geoff's, but I think his settings will probably get you to a quicker finished product than mine... and I am probably going to tweak a few more things as my tests continue.

And finally, yes I did a little color correcting... an S-Curve, adjusted saturation in the highs/mids/lows separately and then finally I added an Impulz Kodak Chrome FPE LUT at the end.

How do you like the RX10ii? I am actually pretty blown away by it. It wasn't on my radar at all and I happened upon a few videos one day, and then that night I found a great deal on one.

Thank you for a quick reply. I think that rx10ii is an amazing camera in right hands. S-log2, 4k, Zeiss zoom and outstanding fhd 120fps is something! I have bmpcc and Panasonic gh2 with an anamorphic lense. All this cameras are great. Bm - 10bit colors and details in fhd, gh2 - nice vintage look, and rx10ii for slow motion and landscapes in 4k.

i notice that you have to keep your f-stop under 5.6 and details at -7 to get really crisp an detailed image. And i think that build in nd is not good enouth, it makes an image looks soft

Here's another one from that day...

IMG_0871.JPG

4 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Thank you for a quick reply. I think that rx10ii is an amazing camera in right hands. S-log2, 4k, Zeiss zoom and outstanding fhd 120fps is something! I have bmpcc and Panasonic gh2 with an anamorphic lense. All this cameras are great. Bm - 10bit colors and details in fhd, gh2 - nice vintage look, and rx10ii for slow motion and landscapes in 4k.

i notice that you have to keep your f-stop under 5.6 and details at -7 to get really crisp an detailed image. And i think that build in nd is not good enouth, it makes an image looks soft

Yup, that day the built in ND wasn't enough, I had to stop down to f/11 and f/14 and the 4K footage turned out softer than I liked. It was so much softer than the 1080p, I thought it was just bad 4K, but some shots I did yesterday confirmed that it was probably just Lens diffraction because the 4K was a lot better.

I came upon this profile from the guy who makes the DSLR Flaat Profile. I haven't tested it, and it's for the a7s, but it is similar to what I'm doing with the RX10ii.

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-a7s/download.html

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Here's another one from that day...

IMG_0871.JPG

One year ago i find a video, and cant stop watching it over and over again. Its a documetary shots, and looks quite desaturated and flat, but it really have some colors and contrast.

cant get any info about canera, lenses an audio solutions for this awesome stereo sound.

If i can achieve this images straight from the camera i would be really happy 

I think that i'm going off topic now, but i have to share this video)

1 hour ago, tihon84 said:

One year ago i find a video, and cant stop watching it over and over again. Its a documetary shots, and looks quite desaturated and flat, but it really have some colors and contrast.

cant get any info about canera, lenses an audio solutions for this awesome stereo sound.

Yeah that looks awesome. I am working on a film right now that I am trying to get something similar... not as drastic but something desaturated with that cold look. Something close to this...

It was shot with the RX100 iv and it kinda led me in the direction of the RX10ii. I asked the filmmaker on Vimeo but he never replied. So I am trying to get there on my own... unfortunately I'm not a great colorist... or even a good one so I am trying to get halfway there with in camera settings.

21 hours ago, tihon84 said:

To me that looks like very lightly graded S-LOG 3. Definitely a Sony stabilized sensor. Thanks for turning me on to this guys work. Love his wide compositions.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:29 AM, Geoff CB said:

So, you said you aren't using any LUTS? So just with saturation you are getting into a rec709 color space?

Here's another one I've been working on lately with a couple more slight color mods... I did use a generic LOG to Rec709 LUT as my base, then some curves, plus I sharpened and added some grain...

IMG_0933.JPG

1 hour ago, mercer said:

So, you said you aren't using any LUTS? So just with saturation you are getting into a rec709 color space?

Here's another one I've been working on lately with a couple more slight color mods... I did use a generic LOG to Rec709 LUT as my base, then some curves, plus I sharpened and added some grain...

IMG_0933.JPG

Just using Lift Gamma Gain color wheels in Resolve. For sharpening, did a secondary color selection on skin tone then reversed it to sharpen the eyes and hair.

I don't ever use LUTs unless it's the final step in the grade to give it a "look", not as a form of color grading to make it look decent.

I'd apologise for reviving this thread but I think Geoff's colour profile is good enough to warrant more views. I just finished the edit on a travel film I made having used the profile in Sri Lanka on the Sony A7S II with Slog2/Slog3.cine. 

Happy with a lot of the shots, although some shots were trickier to grade than others I think that's down to my pretty novice skills as a colourist and occasionally getting the exposure a little off on the high contrast scenes.

Anyway, thanks again to Geoff. Would appreciate any feedback from the folks who watch it.

On 16.3.2017 at 4:04 PM, Gregormannschaft said:

I'd apologise for reviving this thread but I think Geoff's colour profile is good enough to warrant more views. I just finished the edit on a travel film I made having used the profile in Sri Lanka on the Sony A7S II with Slog2/Slog3.cine. 

Would appreciate any feedback from the folks who watch it.

Really, really nice! Very well made, I liked the colors very much. Seems GFilm is really great!