Geoff CB

GFILM: An easily graded Flat Profile for Sony Cameras

10 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Just wanted to add a 'thanks' in here. Just got back from a holiday in Sri Lanka using the GFILM settings (except with S-Gamut3.cine instead of Pro) and I'm loving the result. Examples below are graded, but they were still the easiest to grade I've ever had with the camera and the original footage looks lovely straight out of the camera. It reminds me A LOT of what I was getting color-wise, from the 5D Mark III and the Technicolour Cinestyle profile.

I'm very glad I had even a small part in the creation of these images. Incredible work Gregormannschaft and I hope it continues to work well for you!

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, Mason said:

I would like to point out that the FS7 needs to stop being included with these profiles. The paint menu is totally different than the FS5. The menu on the FS7 is more like the F5, so there is no setting color mode. Try to get your hands on one to see what I'm talking about. I would love to see if there is a way to set up a profile like this on the FS7 to get quick turn around for simpler videos. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'll remove it from the main page, I made the assumption it was similar to the FS5.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Nrubloc said:

@Gregormannschaft

Was just wondering which Sony camera you used for the India footage. Also curious if you did a custom WB for each scene or just used a predetermined WB for daylight conditions which was possibly already stored as one of your saved custom WB settings. I haven't had a chance to try out the GFILM profile yet, but plan to do so over the holidays. 

I'm using Sony A7SII and for white balance 99% of the time I used the Daylight option in the WB menu. Annoyingly though, I found that even in direct sunlight, dropping the WB by -11 in Premiere's lumetri panel normally resulted in a better balanced picture, so maybe take that into account when filming.

2 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I'm using Sony A7SII and for white balance 99% of the time I used the Daylight option in the WB menu. Annoyingly though, I found that even in direct sunlight, dropping the WB by -11 in Premiere's lumetri panel normally resulted in a better balanced picture, so maybe take that into account when filming.

Oh, I should also add what I've done in post. I actually processed the footage with FilmConvert first, using the Arri camera profiles and then making finer adjustments with Lumetri. Geoff's original approach of playing around with curves also works sometimes, but when the white balance was off it resulted in some whacky colours - purely my fault.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:04 AM, Gregormannschaft said:

Just wanted to add a 'thanks' in here. Just got back from a holiday in Sri Lanka using the GFILM settings (except with S-Gamut3.cine instead of Pro) and I'm loving the result. Examples below are graded, but they were still the easiest to grade I've ever had with the camera and the original footage looks lovely straight out of the camera. It reminds me A LOT of what I was getting color-wise, from the 5D Mark III and the Technicolour Cinestyle profile.

train.png

silouhette.png

beach.png

marketman.png

Yeah Gregor these look great. I used sgamut3cine color with my tests of the 6500 yesterday... I think this and GFilm is a winning combo!

18 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I tend to leave it the same for both indoor and outdoor.

Good to know, thanks. I will be testing your profile sometime this week. Have you, or anyone else you know of, attempted to find a good knee setting to use with slog3 to try and elimate some of the banding issues? I'm unsure if a tweak would even fix it, but I am hoping it will because slog3 looks great with scenes that require that little bit of extra DR... as long as there's not a lot of sky in the frame.

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Good to know, thanks. I will be testing your profile sometime this week. Have you, or anyone else you know of, attempted to find a good knee setting to use with slog3 to try and elimate some of the banding issues? I'm unsure if a tweak would even fix it, but I am hoping it will because slog3 looks great with scenes that require that little bit of extra DR... as long as there's not a lot of sky in the frame.

Not sure about knee settings, but a few folks were talking a while back about how boosting the saturation to around +20/25 helps - not sure if that was just a little wishful thinking or if it really has an effect, I haven't tested it.

6 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Not sure about knee settings, but a few folks were talking a while back about how boosting the saturation to around +20/25 helps - not sure if that was just a little wishful thinking or if it really has an effect, I haven't tested it.

Thanks Gregor, I'll give that a try.

36 minutes ago, deezid said:

Even try lowering the black gamma. Helps to make better use of the codec as well by not loosing any of the nice highlight rolloff!

Thanks but stupid question to clarify... if I remember correctly, - Black Gamma increases contrast and + Black Gamma decreases it? I read the Sony papers in their settings but I decided to go default with my first test.

29 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don't think so. Did you go into the slog3 settings and then look under color?

Where can you do that? 
Under picture profile>gamma> there is slog2 but no slog3.

Under color mode> is S-Gamut. 

I can't find slog3 anywhere. 

On A7RII firmware 3.20

19 minutes ago, Ki Rin said:

Where can you do that? 
Under picture profile>gamma> there is slog2 but no slog3.

Under color mode> is S-Gamut. 

I can't find slog3 anywhere. 

On A7RII firmware 3.20

Oh I don't know if A7Rii has it, I have an a6500. Sorry.