Jump to content
Geoff CB

GFILM: An easily graded Flat Profile for Sony Cameras

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, Hitesh Shrimal said:

These settings doesn't work as well on sony a7s mark 1:(

The colour 'science' was markedly improved on the MK 2 - which was trumpeted from the rooftops at the time of its release. Though still bad, the base colour spaces and depths of the same profiles are going to be different on both cameras at default settings. 

Wherever there isn't much of a discernible difference in the end result, there can't have been much of a discernible difference in default settings to begin with.

It is basically the same sensor on the a7s and a7sii, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Davey said:

 

 

5 minutes ago, Hitesh Shrimal said:
10 hours ago, Davey said:

The colour 'science' was markedly improved on the MK 2 - which was trumpeted from the rooftops at the time of its release. Though still bad, the base colour spaces and depths of the same profiles are going to be different on both cameras at default settings. 

Wherever there isn't much of a discernible difference in the end result, there can't have been much of a discernible difference in default settings to begin with.

It is basically the same sensor on the a7s and a7sii, isn't it

 

He made these settings using a7rii, which has different sensor and color science from a7s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hitesh Shrimal said:

These settings doesn't work as well on sony a7s mark 1:(

At some point you've got to take the bull by the horn a bit ... tweak the basic sauce provided by Geoff to your own taste. 

It's not like sony colors were THAT bad to start with. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

At some point you've got to take the bull by the horn a bit ... tweak the basic sauce provided by Geoff to your own taste. 

It's not like sony colors were THAT bad to start with. 

 

Well....maybe they are not too good either... But few cameras seem to be in this day and age. Canon, Arri come to mind for skin tones. I like the overall look of Sony but skin tones ahhh...what can I say? High end Sony's have gotten better, but lower not so much. But that is why there are LUTS and Colorist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well....maybe they are not too good either... But few cameras seem to be in this day and age. Canon, Arri come to mind for skin tones. I like the overall look of Sony but skin tones ahhh...what can I say? High end Sony's have gotten better, but lower not so much. But that is why there are LUTS and Colorist.

That's all very subjective - The overall tonality of canon or arri will look pleasing for a big mass of the population, true. We accepted that a long time ago.

I find sony colors (mostly 8bit dslr) to be generally much cooler with a tint of mangeta/purple in the shadow straight out of the box. But the tool is so customisable in the hand of the user, just take the time to master it. High end sony have always been somewhat good... NOT getting any better theses days, might even get worst - Look at any sony 3CCD cam, nothing to be ashame of.

 

nobody really spit on panasonic these days but the color isnt crazy good either in the CMOS game. It's quite average and that's acceptable. 3ccd was great though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few things people tend to forget quite easily, 

Sony isn't born with the a7 series!  

// nobody should ever use a 4:2:0 camera 8 bit camera if they really care about the colors and the skin tones. Way too much informations is being trown away in the process.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mercer said:

Stupid question... when you are in slog2 is the regular creative (picture) profile mode like standard, neutral, autumn leaves, etc... negated even though it shows standard is active on the LCD?

Don't quite understand your question, you have to have one of the non-standard (PP1, PP2->PP7) selected to use the profile. Neutral/Autumn Leaves etc don't work in conjunction with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Don't quite understand your question, you have to have one of the non-standard (PP1, PP2->PP7) selected to use the profile. Neutral/Autumn Leaves etc don't work in conjunction with it.

On the Rx100 V, in the menu there are two picture profile options... under one heading it has standard, neutral, etc... under the other heading it has pp1, pp2...pp7(slog2) etc... If I choose pp7(slog2), I can still change the other picture profile options... standard, neutral, etc... 

When I exit the menu the display shows I am in slog2 on the bottom left of the screen, but on the bottom right it shows std? Is the std just for photo settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mercer said:

On the Rx100 V, in the menu there are two picture profile options... under one heading it has standard, neutral, etc... under the other heading it has pp1, pp2...pp7(slog2) etc... If I choose pp7(slog2), I can still change the other picture profile options... standard, neutral, etc... 

When I exit the menu the display shows I am in slog2 on the bottom left of the screen, but on the bottom right it shows std? Is the std just for photo settings?

I sincerely hope so or things have just got a whole lot more complicated lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mercer said:

On the Rx100 V, in the menu there are two picture profile options... under one heading it has standard, neutral, etc... under the other heading it has pp1, pp2...pp7(slog2) etc... If I choose pp7(slog2), I can still change the other picture profile options... standard, neutral, etc... 

When I exit the menu the display shows I am in slog2 on the bottom left of the screen, but on the bottom right it shows std? Is the std just for photo settings?

I think it's for the jpeg engine, 

or the raw photo too - for profile calibration once Lightroom open up a raw pic

 

it should influence ppoff in theory but i'm not so sure about all of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to point out that the FS7 needs to stop being included with these profiles. The paint menu is totally different than the FS5. The menu on the FS7 is more like the F5, so there is no setting color mode. Try to get your hands on one to see what I'm talking about. I would love to see if there is a way to set up a profile like this on the FS7 to get quick turn around for simpler videos. Has anyone else had this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to add a 'thanks' in here. Just got back from a holiday in Sri Lanka using the GFILM settings (except with S-Gamut3.cine instead of Pro) and I'm loving the result. Examples below are graded, but they were still the easiest to grade I've ever had with the camera and the original footage looks lovely straight out of the camera. It reminds me A LOT of what I was getting color-wise, from the 5D Mark III and the Technicolour Cinestyle profile.

 

train.png

silouhette.png

 

beach.png

marketman.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gregormannschaft

Was just wondering which Sony camera you used for the India footage. Also curious if you did a custom WB for each scene or just used a predetermined WB for daylight conditions which was possibly already stored as one of your saved custom WB settings. I haven't had a chance to try out the GFILM profile yet, but plan to do so over the holidays. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...