Geoff CB

GFILM: An easily graded Flat Profile for Sony Cameras

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Those shots look terrific, I'll give it a try on the Sony A7SII - similar settings should produce good results as well right?

It should look similar on all Sony cameras with S-Log, let me know how it works!

Those shots look great, especially the first one.

I've read up on the Knee and still can't see what changes do to the footage, so I never mess with it. Any chance you can expand on what your change achieved compared to leaving it on auto?

Will try this on the a7rII, a6300 and soon the a6500. Thanks!

5 hours ago, tellure said:

Looks really cool, thanks for sharing!  What kind of grading are you doing on your modified SLOG2 footage?  Are you using a LUT or grading manually per shot?

Manual adjustment using the color wheels. Dragging down shadows, raising highlights, and slightly dropping midtones. Add a little saturation and that's it to get a good base.

1 hour ago, Jim Giberti said:

Didn't mean to step on the other thread Geoff. By the way, our first studios were on the other side of the Cape from you in Orleans.

That's very cool, where are your studios now? Hope the profile works well for your work. I look forward to trying out the H Hijmering's LUTs you suggested for Blackmagic.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:54 AM, Geoff CB said:

BEACHORIGIONAL.jpg

BEACHColored.jpg

GFILM
Made for A7rII, should work on A7s, A7sII, A6300, A6500, FS5, FS7.

I've been trying to give the A7r II a look similar to "Film" on the blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6K. The need arose because I am shooting with the two camera side by side and need to edit them together.

Had a couple goals with this:
- Get away from the "Magenta" look
- Be able to match with BM "Film" in post
- A flat profile that doesn't break when grading like S-log sometimes does, is easier to shoot with, and can get a get a great look with a simple color wheel adjustment.
- Don't clip any color channel

Let me know what you guys think!

Black Level: 0
Gamma: Slog2
Black Gamma 
- Range: Middle
- Level: 0
Knee: Manual  (It blows my mind this is left on Auto by default, it controls how the highlights behave)
- point: 77.5%
- slope: +3
Color Mode: Pro
Saturation: +3
Color Phase: -4
Color Depth: (Wish they would let this be adjusted for highlights/midtones/blacks independently)
- R: +5
- G: +3 (Edit: +7 works better to get deeper greens)
- B: +3
- C: +2
- M: -2
- Y: +2
Detail: -7
- Mode: Manual
- V/H Balance: 0
- B&W Balance: Type5
- Limit: 3
- Crispening: 3
- Hi-Light Detail: 0

Couple notes on shooting with this:

-Always overexpose by at least one stop to get a clean image.
-Set WB manually, do not leave on Auto
-Shoot at the native ISO of your camera

All samples shot in FF mode on the A7rII, will post more from the short film when I have permission.

C0043.MP4.11_04_16_03.Still001.jpg

(This shot above was underexposed, resulting in noisier blacks)

banjo.jpg

pots.jpg

firetruck.jpg

rivergraded.jpg

Looks Great. I substituted Cine 2 in place of S-Log2 for a test. Looks pretty good straight out of the camera. What do you think about that?

Our studios and offices are in the forest now...actually on our mountainside farm in VT but on their own 200 acre retreat.

And I'd be curious to hear your opinion of the HH LUT on your footage. We've used about every post option for film mode in Pro Res and raw and these are in a whole other league than anything else IMO...almost plug and play. And there's a series of four with increasing saturation at conversion that's a nice option.

14 hours ago, Joe3 said:

Looks Great. I substituted Cine 2 in place of S-Log2 for a test. Looks pretty good straight out of the camera. What do you think about that?

Saw your test on the other page, looks pretty good! Will have to give it a try myself. 

51 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

looking forwards to test this out... Thank you Goeff

Your welcome!

Testing out some new lights/diffusers. Diffuser on setting sun camera left (can see unfiltered on my arm), LED light camera me some pop/fill.

Only grading I did in Resolve was adjusting Lift and Gain. No color adjustment. 5600K with Voightlander 40mm

armsup_1.11.1.jpg

armsuporigional_1.11.2.jpg