OMG I GOT A 5D3!!! ??? - Magic Lantern raw best practices 2016 *ALSO* Try Resolve - its free!

kaylee

13 hours ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

Please guys, give me at least one good reason not to sell my G7 and buy a 5D Mark III for RAW shooting. I'm going nuts here! :(

im afraid i cant do that Ricardo!!! I LOVE SHOOTING 5d3 RAW VIDEO. and its a KILLER STILLS CAMERA ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

this morning i loaded the latest nightly build of magic lantern (ive been busy smh) and went out for the day to shoot... with no problems whatsoever!!! magic lantern recorded continuous 1080p 24fps raw until my cf card ran out of space

its really not hard at all once you get used to it!!! you just have to jump in the pool

the color is stunning. what this camera does with its 12 stops is one of a kind... im thrilled with the way all of my clips look so far. i havent even figured out a workflow, but the results are ALREADY worth investing in. im SUPER STOKED 

BUT SPEAKING OF CARDS!!!! i clearly need some!!! ?  64GB goes by really fast – what should i get???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, kaylee said:

BUT SPEAKING OF CARDS!!!! i clearly need some!!! ?  64GB goes by really fast – what should i get???

I've got 4 64Gb cards. I didn't go for 128Gb cards because I didn't want to risk losing half a day of film, but I haven't lost any data to date so I'm going to get a 128Gb Lexar 1066 card. If I remember correctly the 256Gb cards are a bit slower. There's a CF card speed thread on the ML site you should have a look at. Whatever you get make sure it's not a fake.

17 hours ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

Please guys, give me at least one good reason not to sell my G7 and buy a 5D Mark III for RAW shooting. I'm going nuts here! :(

1. The m4/3 mount is way better IMO to adapt many lenses
2. Magic Lantern is not that reliable, I would not use it for sensitive work were you just "need to get the shot" But you won't shoot raw anyway in that case.

So that's a couple of reasons, but they are not that relevant depending on what you do I guess :D

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

I just ordered a KB 64Gb 1066x, I have to say, it is way more reliable than my Lexar card ! (but My lexar must be a very bad unit :s)

4 hours ago, kaylee said:

ok what brand should i get squig? does it matter?

I've got 2 Lexar 1066x and 2 Toshiba 1066x, they're both very fast, the Lexars were cheaper though. Speed is probably a bigger concern than reliability, any card can screw up, but if you buy a slow card you're already screwed. Sandisk made good cards too. Some card speed benchmarks here- http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0

8 hours ago, kaylee said:

im afraid i cant do that Ricardo!!! I LOVE SHOOTING 5d3 RAW VIDEO. and its a KILLER STILLS CAMERA ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

this morning i loaded the latest nightly build of magic lantern (ive been busy smh) and went out for the day to shoot... with no problems whatsoever!!! magic lantern recorded continuous 1080p 24fps raw until my cf card ran out of space

its really not hard at all once you get used to it!!! you just have to jump in the pool

the color is stunning. what this camera does with its 12 stops is one of a kind... im thrilled with the way all of my clips look so far. i havent even figured out a workflow, but the results are ALREADY worth investing in. im SUPER STOKED 

@kaylee Ahah yeah being a killer stills camera is also one of the reasons why I might want to return to Canon!

4 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

1. The m4/3 mount is way better IMO to adapt many lenses
2. Magic Lantern is not that reliable, I would not use it for sensitive work were you just "need to get the shot" But you won't shoot raw anyway in that case.

So that's a couple of reasons, but they are not that relevant depending on what you do I guess :D

I just ordered a KB 64Gb 1066x, I have to say, it is way more reliable than my Lexar card ! (but My lexar must be a very bad unit :s)

@Justin BacleThanks for the reply man :D 

1. Yeah that could be one reason but it's something I can easily live without ahah

2. Isn't it 100% reliable right now? I really thought it was all fixed (the purple dngs and those minor fails). What's the worse it can happen while shooting?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

2. Isn't it 100% reliable right now? I really thought it was all fixed (the purple dngs and those minor fails). What's the worse it can happen while shooting?

The worst that can happen in my experience with a 5Dmkiii is nothing.

If you ask me the old talk about reliability on the mkiii is outdated. Not once has there been any sort of issue for me that wasnt 100% my fault. 

I sometimes get contacted by people who has had issues and it always turns out to be a cheap CF card or that they aren't using a 5Dmkiii.

52 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The worst that can happen in my experience with a 5Dmkiii is nothing.

If you ask me the old talk about reliability on the mkiii is outdated. Not once has there been any sort of issue for me that wasnt 100% my fault. 

I sometimes get contacted by people who has had issues and it always turns out to be a cheap CF card or that they aren't using a 5Dmkiii.

Thanks Mattias! Yeah I thought so because I see that every other problem was already addressed and resolved.

Might take the bullet for a mkiii then, already start to selling at 1500€ here (Portugal) :) 

3 hours ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

@kaylee Ahah yeah being a killer stills camera is also one of the reasons why I might want to return to Canon!

@Justin BacleThanks for the reply man :D 

1. Yeah that could be one reason but it's something I can easily live without ahah

Most of the reliability problems are to blame with the card write speeds which are to be expected whith such high bitrates (raw) on cameras that are not made for it.

But the 2 "problems" I listed are really nothing compared to all the benefits ;)