OMG I GOT A 5D3!!! ??? - Magic Lantern raw best practices 2016 *ALSO* Try Resolve - its free!

kaylee

2 hours ago, Davey said:

Quite the most cheerful and enthusiastic thread I have read on this forum. The excitement the OP expresses reminds me of the child-like joy I experienced when first messing with a full frame camera with a prime lens back in March.

Lovely.

Hehe, I remember when I first picked up my nikon D3, took some pictures and wondered why it looked so much better than my d300.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ok I'm up and running as well... and well... OMG :astonished::blush::heart:... it's like I have a new camera.. mind blown.. the output compares if not surpasses BM cams I've shot with.. the IQ.. the motion... recovery/grading.. i mean this is FF at it's best.. 5D3 just went from B cam to my C100.. to A+++ cam... :bawling:

Even the workflow I was dreading is actually a walk in the park thanks to Raw Magic! MLVs straight from the CF to DNG.. into Resolve and that's it!!!

A million thanks to OP & EOSHD community for waking me up to this (i get a MEGA late pass i know.. but better late then never!!)

Now I am running into a big issue.. the recording cuts after 15 seconds due to drop frame warning.. but I'm sure this has to do with my too slow Sandisk Extreme CF (85 mb/s write speed) so should I just get Extreme Pro (140 mb/s)? Or is Transcend 1000X 16GB the way to go?

Also while shooting raw.. the video assist features disappear.. that normal or can i have overlays?

20 minutes ago, Django said:

Now I am running into a big issue.. the recording cuts after 15 seconds due to drop frame warning.. but I'm sure this has to do with my too slow Sandisk Extreme CF (85 mb/s write speed) so should I just get Extreme Pro (140 mb/s)? Or is Transcend 1000X 16GB the way to go?

Transcend cards are slow. The Lexar 1066x is the fastest.

The 5D has more detail, more DR, better color, and less noise than the BMMCC/Pocket.

^ Thanks but what about this comment:

1) Despite a fast 1066x Lexar card the MLV plus audio stops recording after around 20 seconds.. Not a big deal for scenics and b roll, but a major headache for any interview or longer shot situation... Plain raw gives continuous recording as long as I have needed so far. But with no audio... Not a deal breaker because I can record audio separately, but it adds another step to an already complicated and time consuming workflow.

Is this accurate, only 20 seconds MLV + Audio? Take away the audio.. and you get how much raw shooting time?

Komputerbay offer best bang for buck. Check ML forum for exact specs. I have 2 x 256GB which give around 45min per card. Shoot one, offload the other. Go all day.

4 minutes ago, Django said:

Is this accurate, only 20 seconds MLV + Audio? Take away the audio.. and you get how much raw shooting time?

Maybe garethw is trying for 1920x1080 30p continuous which I don't think is possible but could be wrong. 24/25 should be a breeze.

1 hour ago, Django said:

^ Thanks but what about this comment:

I've never had a problem with 1920x1080 24p continuous. Firmware 1.1.3 is a little faster than 1.2.3.

55 minutes ago, squig said:

I've never had a problem with 1920x1080 24p continuous. Firmware 1.1.3 is a little faster than 1.2.3.

Same, could shoot continuous MLV RAW+audio 1920x1080 24 until the card filled up (low cost Komputer Bay 64GB cards).

7 hours ago, squig said:

Transcend cards are slow. The Lexar 1066x is the fastest.

The 5D has more detail, more DR, better color, and less noise than the BMMCC/Pocket.

I have a Lexar 1066x 64Gb, and it's quite crappy. I get filesystem errors and the card sometimes stops writing for no apparent reason. I'll buy a KB card ASAP.
So far, I'm not impressed, at all, with the lexar card.

well according to Andrew, KB cards are simply rebranded Lexar cards that failed QC test! 

http://www.eoshd.com/2013/05/which-compact-flash-cards-for-5d-mark-iii-raw-video/

so if you're having trouble with Lexar.. i certainly wouldn't play russian roulette with a KB..

"When buying a KomputerBay card, some capacities will likely have greater variance than others."

[...] "if you get a card that was missed in the QC variance then return and get a different one."

Sounds like a major PITA to me, just to save a couple bucks..

8 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Maybe garethw is trying for 1920x1080 30p continuous which I don't think is possible but could be wrong. 24/25 should be a breeze.

Nope I'm shooting 1080 25p, I'm in PAL land... problem only with the MLV + audio setting, standard raw with no audio works fine.
Perhaps dropping to 24p would make a difference or turning off other functions...

As I said I get about 20 secs of record time before is starts to drop frames and stops in MLV+audio. This is not a problem for scenics and b'roll.. as I rarely need more than 20 secs per shot.... But naturally it is very limiting for anything else.

I shall probably use as B camera to my C100 in raw mode, as without audio I can get continuous recording. If I need it as main camera to shoot an interview or whatever, I'll just shoot in normal h264. Close ups with one of the Clog profiles actually look pretty good with a small amount of sharpening.

Well i just did my first low ISO RAW test outdoors... and the IQ actually got me giggling out loud.. I cannot believe the 1080p image i'm getting!!

I don't think I can ever go back to 5D3's h264 and be satisfied with IQ  the difference is so radical.. it's like 128kbs mp3 on a smartphone VS 24-bit / 96K wave on Genelec monitors..

Another thing that has me smiling is the IQ/Workflow flat out beats that of 4K MJPEG on the 5D4 i tested 2 weeks ago .. FCPX kept crashing and output had bad RS..

But I'm also shooting 1080 25fps.. I sure hope i'll be able to get more then 20 seconds after I upgrade CF cards or I will not be such a happy camper!

I have Lexar 64GB 1066x, and it's unreliable with 5D2... broken raw still image files, corrupted compressed video. ML Raw is better but black frames/no audio can easily occur.

Should i avoid KomputerBay 64GB 1000x?

Do anyone have experiance which is the most reliable card for 5D mark II? Im thinking about Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s. With 5D2 i only need 70MB/s stable write speed for 1728x972 25fps with sound. (Tried Kingstone 32GB 600x, 47MB/s write speed, but reliable)

KB cards are pretty shitty imo. If you read around the net you will get a similar opinion. I know quite a few people that had them and their write speeds were just all over the place, not reliable at all.

I'm running Lexar Professional UDMA7 128GB cards in my 7D and friends 5Dmkiiis and I've never experienced any issues. I can continuously write on 7D at the highest res possble and never had a problem.

One thing you must be careful with is fake cards, it's a pretty big thing these days and those fake cards wont live up to their printed specs. If it's way slower than advertised send it back.

I've got 4 KB cards and all work flawlessly, 256 1066x and 64 1000x

Buy direct from KB on Amazon and when you get the card run the ML in-camera benchmark. You're looking for write speeds of 90 plus IIRC. If not, send it back. They know the score. 

If you can afford it get 256GB cards. Changing cards all the time is a pain in the hole.

PS: I get continuous 25p until the cows come home with sound, overlays, zebras, raw histogram and all kinds of good stuff.

11 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

I've got 4 KB cards and all work flawlessly, 256 1066x and 64 1000x

Buy direct from KB on Amazon and when you get the card run the ML in-camera benchmark. You're looking for write speeds of 90 plus IIRC. If not, send it back. They know the score. 

If you can afford it get 256GB cards. Changing cards all the time is a pain in the hole.

PS: I get continuous 25p until the cows come home with sound, overlays, zebras, raw histogram and all kinds of good stuff.

I've heard reports that the bigger cards (256gb) aren't as good as the smaller ones (<128gb), even though they are supposed to have the same specs. I haven't tested it myself, but read dialog from high up ML crew suggesting it to be so... perhaps they have progressed now? 

That idea might date from the time when the large cards were 1200x and the smaller cards were 1000x yet were somehow faster. Then there were 1066x large cards which were faster than the old 1200x. Might be more info here and some other reports that the 256GB 1066x is stable.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11428.msg112874#msg112874