Film noir music video: Stolen Hearts

Ehetyz

Here's a music video I directed and DOP'd recently, using BMCC 2,5K, 5D2 (ML RAW) and RX10 MK2.

We shot it over the span of two nights, the chosen location caused some heavy time constraints but it was visually perfect for us.

I wanted it to have an authentic old school film noir look and feel, so I ended up using some heavy diffusion on RX10 and BMCC, and vintage lenses on the 5D, and also lighting it in a very vintage fashion.

Of the three cameras, 5D definitely delivered my favourite images. The set of lenses used on it were Petzval 85/2.2, Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and Takumar 35/2.3. They gave it the signature swirly bokeh and naturally soft, dreamy look. I continually keep being blown away by how good ML RAW looks. 

BMCC was a solid performer, but due to the crop using vintage lenses on it becomes an exercise in futility. I had the Petzval on it for a few shots, but most of the Blackmagic footage was with Sigma 18-35 and some heavy diffusion filters (Cokin-P Diff1/2 and Pastel).

RX10 was used only for the slow motion at the end, and even with about 5KW of lighting blasted at it, it still struggled - which is nothing new, really. The shots turned out acceptable after some heavy filtering.

The Petzval lens was a new one for me, as prior to this I'd had only time for some small walkaround tests with it. I'm actually amazed at how beautifully that lens performs. Definitely a keeper.

Any feedback is welcome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs