Sony RX100 V - official topic

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

"Continuous recording is available for approx. 5 minutes. The duration available for shooting may change according to shooting conditions."

Sounds like it still over heats. If so, no thanks. Will stear my attention towards the LX15.

Its such a shame. I really liked my two rx100iv. At home. As soon as I used it for anything worth while like a vacation I hated its constant over heating and mega sluggish operation that made missing shots unavoidable.

A Shame...

13 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

"Continuous recording is available for approx. 5 minutes. The duration available for shooting may change according to shooting conditions."

Sounds like it still over heats. If so, no thanks. Will stear my attention towards the LX15.

Its such a shame. I really liked my two rx100iv. At home. As soon as I used it for anything worth while like a vacation I hated its constant over heating and mega sluggish operation that made missing shots unavoidable.

A Shame...

Used mine to record this video in Cuba. Never overheated ...

14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

A Shame...

Yeah, personally I'm looking forward to a LX100 successor. M4/3 sensor with fixed Leica zoom!

Hopefully this time around a little bit more versatile (vari-angle touchscreen, live HDMI out, mic-in), better stabilization and less noise. But that's probably pushing their willingness to give us a camera that does it all... so we'll probably won't see that happen.

Still though. Another effort by Sony. But is it rushed? Or did they learn from their mistakes and are ready to prove it? I'm skeptical. Guess we'll have to await the first user reports.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Still though. Another effort by Sony. But is it rushed? Or did they learn from their mistakes and are ready to prove it? I'm skeptical. Guess we'll have to await the first user reports.

They've released a new RX100 every year, I was surprised we didn't see it before Photokina.

PADF and better slow-mo. New LSI means everything will be faster.

This will be a pocket-sized beast.

I'm finally getting a RX100 - I've been waiting for them to add PADF.

• Super Members

Another bummer. Seems like the other of the two major downsides for me in the iv is still there, The Sluggish Operation.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-rx100-v/preview/

I hate that. Pressing stop and then having to wait what feels like an hour before being able to record again. And its not only that you risk missing the action. For every second you are closing in on the overheat.

BTW: I must be mad but Im actually thinking about getting my third rx100iv today. Even though I hate it with every inch of my body. Thats how much I could use a pocketable video camera with a good dynamic range.

Tough when they cost more than a almost new and under warranty Samsung NX1 + 18-55 S zoom + 30mm + 60mm Macro. I could also get a raw swinging full frame 5Dmkiii for less.

I would think I should be over those kind of psychological pit falls by now. But I guess its only human :)

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

So, you rant over it and you're getting a third unit when the new comer is out there now? I am lost on your plan...

I said it in my post. 

I really need a small camera with high DR.

The two things I hate about the rx100iv is still in the rx100v.

= I see no point in getting the rx100v over the rx100iv.

• Super Members

I dont really feel any need for better AF. The rx100iv was a good camera. Some quirks are always ok but the overheating and sluggishness hinders you from actually recording. And both those issues are still there.

The AF wont do you any good if the camera is freezing or burning (or both). 

I am tempted to replace my mark III with the mark V. While it was a marvel of engineering, the two big things I didn't like about the mark III were the lack of 4K and the inaccurate and painfully slow autofocus. For video you pretty much had to use manual focusing most of the time. When I bought it I had already decided that I would not buy any camera going forward that did not have 4K, but I made an exception for the mark III since I was going on a once in a lifetime trip to a place where carrying a large camera was unwise. It had to be something I could literally slip into a pocket, but still good enough to take decent photographs. The RX100 was no where near as good as my NX1 (or even my old Canon) in terms of picture quality, but it was the by far the best option at the time that met the criteria I had.

The mark IV brought 4K, but still had the same autofocus system. This new camera corrects that it seems.

5 hours ago, tugela said:

(...) The RX100 was no where near as good as my NX1 (or even my old Canon) in terms of picture quality (...)

Does your NX1 match this low light performance à la Sony's MILCs?

Comes to my mind the first Cinealta F900 (BTW, 2/3" sensor format) imagerie seen circa 2001; a couple of kilos/pounds more *cough cough* 100x more expensive; without lens, player recorder setup neither...

Let's not forget as far as the limit of 5 minutes concerns because of overheating, a few here were used to shoot film within the 10-minutes limit, so... ;-) Some complaints on these boards remind me those kids used to modern life with no clue about hard life in some other latitudes...