Sony Will Announce the A6500

Hanriverprod

Question about the a6300: How bad is the rolling shutter in 1080p?

I have to say, this "Sounds" like my perfect camera for me:

- Super 35/APS-C sensor.

- Great low-light performance.

- In body stabilization.

- Small size.

- Very adaptable lens mount.

- 120 HFR.

These are literally all the features that I've been wanting in a camera for the last four or five years now. I almost got a G80/85 recently because it has stabilization but the micro 4/3   format means more of a crop and not as good low light performance. I also have an m4/3 camera and I'm kinda done with it to be honest. 

As far as issue with the camera, 4K is nice but I probably won't use it that much so I'm not sure if the rolling shutter will be as much of an issue for me. I never ever shoot continuously for long periods of time so I have a feeling the overheating issue people suffer from won't be an issue for me either. We'll see though. I'm either going to get one when it comes out or wait till the A9 comes out and see if I can find a used A7sII.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

But the 1080p on the A6300 isn't exactly amazing, I wouldn't buy that camera to shoot Full HD with it. We'll see if the A6500 has better image quality in 1080p but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I tried to cut 1080p that I used for the lower RS together with downscaled 4k for a test and the quality difference was really showing, not yet convinced it's a viable solution. I didn't test them side by side but from my feeling the 120fps on the A6300 is also worse than on the NX1.

I was assuming that I would need a gimbal for use with an A6300, now the sensor stabilised A6500 has come out I might hold off a bit. The good thing is a small camera can work with a cheaper, more compact gimbal. I fully acknowledge that RS and overheating are serious problems for some shooting styles, but the quality of the 4K image out of these cameras, and the potential for a speed boosted full frame image, makes it worth considering work arounds for the limitations surely?

7 hours ago, Simon Shasha said:

How could the extra DRAM and new LSI not have helped the rolling-shutter at all?

Because the sensor is the same as in a6300. Same sensor = same rolling shutter.  DRAM helps with memory issues like buffering. LSI is just a marketing buzzword ;)

8 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Because the sensor is the same as in a6300. Same sensor = same rolling shutter.  DRAM helps with memory issues like buffering. LSI is just a marketing buzzword ;)

My understanding is that the LSI is a logic chip that does pre-processing of the raw feed off the sensor (and basically controls it). So it is not just a marketing buzzword.

The main improvement appears to be AF performance (which will probably have the biggest impact in the RX100), but it might include other things as well, such as noise reduction and stuff like that.

4 hours ago, tugela said:

My understanding is that the LSI is a logic chip that does pre-processing of the raw feed off the sensor (and basically controls it). So it is not just a marketing buzzword.

Google Sony LSI sensor, what do you get? It's a company. Sony LSI Design. It does sensors, it's a company spun off from Sony.

So when Sony says things like "Sensor readout speed has improved significantly, and the company has developed a new front-end LSI that contributes a lot to performance. " in their press release, they are not talking about chips. That is the definition of marketing buzzwords.

They seem to be using LSI just as a word for "anything". So if they just add DRAM more (to get more buffer) they'll just spin it two ways. One A) We have more DRAM! and B) Better LSI means more buffer!

The exact same thing. The buffer is increased by DRAM ergo memory. You can't increase buffer any other way because buffer is technically just memory waiting to be unloaded into the SD card.

So LSI is just a word. A word that could mean anything. They say it's a "chip" but it's really not. I bet the technology inside the a6500 is pretty much the same as in a6300 except more dram for buffering/different software menus/IBIS.

LSI usually means (in technology terms) large-scale integration. It's just a bunch if circuits. I mean yeah, technically adding more DRAM into a circuit is "improving the LSI". Funny.

We have developed a new LSI = we added DRAM. That's pretty much it. I can't be 100% sure as I am no engineer but as nothing else seems improved then yeah. Probably.

On 10/14/2016 at 9:06 PM, hmcindie said:

According to this video

...the rolling-shutter on the RX100 V has become virtually non-existent due to "faster processing" - hopefully this means the same for the A6500...

12 hours ago, Simon Shasha said:

...the rolling-shutter on the RX100 V has become virtually non-existent due to "faster processing" - hopefully this means the same for the A6500...

Different sensors. I have the RX10 ii and it has visually apparent RS in 4k but when switching to 100/120fps HD the RS is very small, negligible really.

Also that video was pretty much an infomercial. They didn't test RS at all.