Sony Will Announce the A6500

Hanriverprod

I do a tv show, and for the first seasson I used a 600d, second seasson I used a a7s&a7s2...took me far longer to get the lights right and I had to do some pretty unussual geling on them. After 2 shows I ditched the s-log. This seasson I`m giving the panasonics a try, and by the tests so far I`ll be alot happyer that with the sonys. It`s probably preference but I just cannot get exited about anything sub 10k from sony, and I shoot with them weekly....I hate it how they overflooded the market and that they are becoming a staple on smaler production. Most of us who work in the filed agree, yet we have to shoot with them because somene said they`re great! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Plus 20% VAT = 1507 euros, plus import duties = something higher + hell knows what else = 1700

Personally I miss the days of bargain GH2s and NEX cameras... the whole thing seems to be shifting higher and higher with every passing month as the consumer market dies and smartphones take over. At this rate there won't be an interesting camera under $3k.

And also, the A6300 should never have existed. Majorly flawed, with a shelf life of approximately 30 seconds.

There was absolutely nothing to stop Sony putting a touch screen in that and 5 axis stabilisation.

The A6500 is a very interesting update but their game is clear, and I am angry at them, as I feel we have wasted our money...not once, not twice, but many times now with these quickly obsolete cameras.

Brace yourself. A9 is coming and any Sony camera you have ever get will make you feel you lost money in it. 

At the same time thanks to this we get the best new specs. Unlike Canon for who we have to wait 2020 to get A7RII specs.

And at least it has the merit to boost competition. Sony not existing, GH5 would have not been what it will be, most probably.

So apart from the overheating, the lack of 42 mp still files, and possibly a more user-friendly (though bulkier) form factor, the gap between the A6xxx series and A7Rii has narrowed considerably. For manual shooters, a focal reducer can get you the full frame look, and the 6K -> 4K S35 video mode on both bodies is probably very similar.
For those who can't afford an A7Rii, or the expensive full frame G lenses that add several thousand onto your investment, this could be an option to get comparable results.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, that says a lot, doesn't it. Honestly, Albert Fast has been doing great stuff with the G7! And it's an cheap as fuck camera that doesn't overheat! He uploaded this a few days ago:

I like his videos but I'm starting to get sick of these "filmic" colors. [hijack] I liked his NX1 videos better. [/hijack]

32 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

The only thing that might give pause for thought - perhaps the A7III will do all of this (full sensor 6K -> 4K readout) with a full frame 24 MP sensor, with improved AF.

I'd be surprised if the A7III kept the 24mp sensor now that Canon has crossed 30mp with the 5d - I'd expect a significant bump since this will also be the new sensor in the d750/610 replacement.

2 hours ago, SR said:

Goddamn these NX1 freaks and their irresistibly fabulous cameras!

Its a great camera, but endlessly trolling other camera threads adds nothing but noise to the discussion. NX2 speculation is even sillier since Samsung shuttered the NX line last year, let it go. If you want IBIS or you want to buy into a camera line with a future, a warranty and an upgrade path, you're certainly not looking at used NX1's. 

Cheers

36 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

The only thing that might give pause for thought - perhaps the A7III will do all of this (full sensor 6K -> 4K readout) with a full frame 24 MP sensor, with improved AF.

The A7 S/R-less series has never been that exciting for video? Probably won't keep up with the A6500's video. Besides you can boost an APS-C Sony towards fullframe, so there's no real need. The only thing is... it needs to just simply work. Seems they can take some of the load off by introducing that large scale integrated circuit (LSI) that works together with the Bionz X. That and the option of raising the threshold for overheating. They're not really ouzing confidence of having dealt with this to completely keep this from happening though. Believe everyone with a little Sony insight is expecting it to perform like the A6300 on current firmware. So it might run fine for half an hour, in certain conditions might flip on you after a couple of minutes.

People hoping for no overheating (yet again) are going to be disappointed. The Sony cameras with this design always overheat, even when they were just doing 1080p. It is the Sony A99 II and new lenses or stick with the GH5 if overheating is a concern.

1 hour ago, The Chris said:

I'd be surprised if the A7III kept the 24mp sensor now that Canon has crossed 30mp with the 5d - I'd expect a significant bump since this will also be the new sensor in the d750/610 replacement.

Its a great camera, but endlessly trolling other camera threads adds nothing but noise to the discussion. NX2 speculation is even sillier since Samsung shuttered the NX line last year, let it go. If you want IBIS or you want to buy into a camera line with a future, a warranty and an upgrade path, you're certainly not looking at used NX1's. 

Cheers

If you have watched Sony's sensor development for any time, you would notice they don't change resolution that often. They establish a sensor form factor and gradually evolve it. The current batch (apart from the 24MP full frame which is a throw back to the A99, Nikon D600 series etc) are optimised for video resolutions. The 42MP is an 8K sensor that gives a cleaner line skip result for 4K. The S35 crop of the 42MP sensor is essentially the same as the APS-C 24MP sensor which can do full 6K readout. And 12MP on the A7S obviously works well for 4K. Anything in between will be a mess for video resolutions (see Canon). The question is whether the 24 MP full frame sensor has reached the end of its potential.

21 hours ago, Franz Schuier said:

its a supersmall photocamera that shoots additional 4k video. It overheats when shooting long clips. If you want a video camera that doesnt overheat buy a big body video camera.

If they are putting more video qualities in a camera it's a small video camera that shoots pics. And for something that's going to be close to 2k priced it should be able to shoot more than 45min.

• Administrators

It wouldn't be quite the rip off it is if Sony had done what they should have done.

Announce the A6300 and A6500 TOGETHER at the same time and likewise back when the A7R II was announced, release it with the A7S II at the same time, allow us to make a choice and to buy just one, not stumble into the A7R II or A6300 then end up buying the A6500 or A7S II as well because they're better specced for video...

I actually think as a sales tactic this is disastrous and we will tire of it very quickly.

They have maintained this illusion of constant technological progress... if you think however that in the 6 months between the A6300 and A6500 suddenly Sony invented 5 axis image stabilisation and a touch screen you are mistaken.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It wouldn't be quite the rip off it is if Sony had done what they should have done.

Announce the A6300 and A6500 TOGETHER at the same time and likewise back when the A7R II was announced, release it with the A7S II at the same time, allow us to make a choice and to buy just one, not stumble into the A7R II or A6300 then end up buying the A6500 or A7S II as well because they're better specced for video...

I actually think as a sales tactic this is disastrous and we will tire of it very quickly.

They have maintained this illusion of constant technological progress... if you think however that in the 6 months between the A6300 and A6500 suddenly Sony invented 5 axis image stabilisation and a touch screen you are mistaken.

They tried that with the a7 and a7r, im sure they looked at the numbers from that and decided that what they are doing now is more profitable.

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I WANT to have an APS-C camera like the A6500. But without comparing it to anything else... and without actual more hands-on experiences... you might as well lock up this thread, because there wouldn't be much to discuss except 'I feel cheated, I just bought the A6300!'?

I'm not a Panasonic/M43 fanboy. I'm a camera fanboy. I use whatever works best.

-- neways, I'll just add another video:

I don't know what they are smoking over there at Sony, but I love how in that video they say...

"This does not replace the a6300 or the a6000 at all, its an addition to our a6000 line"

then right after that he says...

"and everything that makes the a6300 so great, we just built upon it with some new technology."

I don't know whether they listen to themselves... oh well... thats Sony for you.

Editted to add: Even at the beginning, "...its been aaa  about 6 months, 6 months? 10 months, 8 months, its been 8 months since you last introduced the a6300" and the reply was "has it been that long?"

REALLY??? lol... bah wait another 6 to 8 months for the a6700 or a7000 - can't wait for affordable 5K RAW, same as they put in the RX100 v

8 hours ago, jagnje said:

I do a tv show, and for the first seasson I used a 600d, second seasson I used a a7s&a7s2...took me far longer to get the lights right and I had to do some pretty unussual geling on them. After 2 shows I ditched the s-log. This seasson I`m giving the panasonics a try, and by the tests so far I`ll be alot happyer that with the sonys. It`s probably preference but I just cannot get exited about anything sub 10k from sony, and I shoot with them weekly....I hate it how they overflooded the market and that they are becoming a staple on smaler production. Most of us who work in the filed agree, yet we have to shoot with them because somene said they`re great! 

They are great, unfortunately you just don't know how to use them...... Not every camera can just magically get you the image you want without knowing what you're doing, also why in the world were you using S-Log in an indoor environment with lights.......