Sony Will Announce the A6500

Hanriverprod

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
10 minutes ago, wobba said:

And with an AF system that allows you to shoot stills and video for subjects that are not stationary.

Not with any real reliability or precision to be honest.

The 1D X Mark II walks all over it.

Ok... it is $6k but with something this important it is the difference between a wreaked shot or a great one.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ok... it is $6k but with something this important it is the difference between a wreaked shot or a great one.

Once locked its precise. Having a touchscreen to lock onto your subject makes that easier. Currently I use center point with BB AF, lock the subject and it does a remarkable job of tracking while maintaining focus.

The 1dxII is another level, but its a pro sports camera, it should be. The a6500 barely outweighs the 1dxII's battery.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Plus 20% VAT = 1507 euros, plus import duties = something higher + hell knows what else = 1700

Keep in mind we don't include sales tax in US prices. Add about 10% (varies by state).

I think if they had simply named this the a7000, there would be substantially less bitching in internet forums. I think the features warrant that naming, though I really wish they'd gone with a fully articulating screen, and included a headphone jack.

Yeah, I think I'm all about the E-M1 Mark II right now. It's not APS-C, but for the rest they've done pretty much what I needed from it. Of course, it will be same as with this new Sony... looks nice and all on paper... how will it fare in the real world?

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Isn't it more lens dependent on the Canons though? I heard there's no face tracking or focus transition speed options on non-STM lenses.

1 hour ago, drillthrall said:

Noob question here.  If I grabbed a still frame from the 6fps 5K 24p raw video you talked about, would Adobe Camera Raw be able to work with that still like I do with my current stills .raw files?

Actually it's a still raw file, not a video file. What they were talking about was using burst mode to take many raw stills and then use them to create a video. 

Anyway, is it really 24fps?

Im slightly pissed off that this has come out so quickly. I think the a6300 was due out this time last year and was delayed possibly due to being a personal heater. 

I use my a6300 mostly for photos these days or b-cam. Main camera is a7sii which i love shooting on. More dials, less fiddling around. I wont be rushing out to buy the 6500 but i'm very much looking forward to these features in a A7riii a7siii or maybe even the rumoured a9 emount. 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

You would have said the same before the release of nx1, if someone had written the specs of the yet to come camera.

Nah, it wasnt ground breaking like the bmcc or anything. But you missed my point completely.

My point was, how is what it could have been relevant (especially in a6500 thread) and how could you have any clue of the specs of something that never existed?

As of now 10-bit and Ice Cream are roughly equally likely in the NX2.

BTW, Almost bought my third NX1 yesterday. Last time I payed for the body and got the S zoom and all the sub 50mm primes for free. This time it only includes the S zoom, 60mm Macro and the 30mm. Not sure its worth the 1h drive though.

Back on topic:

The price of the a6500 is to thigh imo. Just like the a7sii. On a low budget camera I can accept som bugs and quirks. But not at these prices. It must operate flawlessly. The other brands do it.

Just saw some more photos of the A6500. Why do they continue not offering a front dial? Having two dials readily accessible seems like a "must" in ergonomics, especially when it costs 1700 Euros... or maybe they'll put that in the A6700 that's due in a few months. If I had all that cash to blow on a camera like this, it would be a deal-breaker for me.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A6500/

"In an interesting update, there's a new menu option which changes when the over-heating warning icon appears: there's Standard or High options, the latter simply allowing the camera to keep operating even when it's getting hot, although protection will still kick-in to prevent any damage. When shooting with the earlier A6300, I found the body could get quite hot to touch, and revealingly Sony's engineers recommended using the A6500 on a tripod when the temperature warning had been adjusted - not to do with stabilisation, but because the body may become uncomfortably hot"

13 minutes ago, ikola said:

G7 VS A7S2 or soon to be seen look alike test G80 VS A6500, i go for the G80 + speedbooster. Look at those colors..

In terms of value and "investment," this makes sense. Get a nice, decent, "good enough" camera and put your money in high-quality accessories and lenses- the latter will probably not be replaced next time the weather changes.

3 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Just saw some more photos of the A6500. Why do they continue not offering a front dial? Having two dials readily accessible seems like a "must" in ergonomics, especially when it costs 1700 Euros... or maybe they'll put that in the A6700 that's due in a few months. If I had all that cash to blow on a camera like this, it would be a deal-breaker for me.

The A6500 uses the same body as the ($500) A6000. They keep boosting the specs but no change in body (hence perhaps the overheating, tiny body wasn't designed for so much power - as the A7RII)

1 hour ago, ikola said:

G7 VS A7S2 or soon to be seen look alike test G80 VS A6500, i go for the G80 + speedbooster. Look at those colors..

Yeah, that says a lot, doesn't it. Honestly, Albert Fast has been doing great stuff with the G7! And it's an cheap as fuck camera that doesn't overheat! He uploaded this a few days ago:

I WANT to have an APS-C camera like the A6500. But without comparing it to anything else... and without actual more hands-on experiences... you might as well lock up this thread, because there wouldn't be much to discuss except 'I feel cheated, I just bought the A6300!'?

I'm not a Panasonic/M43 fanboy. I'm a camera fanboy. I use whatever works best.

-- neways, I'll just add another video: