Sony Will Announce the A6500

Hanriverprod

2 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Most of you here make your living with this tech, so for you it is only a tool. You buy a new one, when you current one does cut it for the job. AFAIK none of you even bought or kept the A6300, so why the outrage? Frequent releases are always better. The best strategy would be to simply release new models each year around the same time like smartphone flagships, so you would know when to hold off the purchase before new tech is announced.

I bought and kept the A6300, and I'll be the first to admit that it paid itself off quickly.

Regardless, you fail to realise that the A6300 has only been on the market barely eight months - and even then, much of those eight months were spent in back-order due to the Kumamoto earthquake. There is no consistency in this new model's release date whatsoever.

For Sony to release a superior successor so soon is somewhat arbitrary and irrational.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

I bought and kept the A6300, and I'll be the first to admit that it paid itself off quickly.

Regardless, you fail to realise that the A6300 has only been on the market barely eight months - and even then, much of those eight months were spent in back-order due to the Kumamoto earthquake. There is no consistency in this new model's release date whatsoever.

For Sony to release a superior successor so soon is somewhat arbitrary and irrational.

It is not a successor. Most consumers will still prefer the very cheap A6000 (still in production AFAIK) or 4K capable and compact A6300. A6500 will not be compact or cheap.

Maybe Sony was waiting to see competitor guns before announce this, I hope can compete against the XT-2 with improved build construction, ergonomics, heat dissipation, earphone jack and IBIS, just as Cinegain says, An OM-D E-M1 MKII with ASPC sensor.

14 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

It is not a successor. Most consumers will still prefer the very cheap A6000 (still in production AFAIK) or 4K capable and compact A6300. A6500 will not be compact or cheap.

Of course it's a successor. It was most likely developed side by side with the A6300 - with the A6300 playing the role of a stop-gap-measure until they got the cooling and 5-Axis stabilisation right.

It's also most likely a response to the X-T2.

The constant releasing of new bodies from Sony is really ridiculous. Sony needs to release lenses for APS-C - especially given the A6000 is their most successful camera to date.

If they would release a 16mm 1.4, 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4, and 60mm F1.4, something akin to Fuji's fast XF line, to go along with their APS-C cameras, instead of a new body, I can guarantee that myself, as well as many other Sony APS-C shooters, would appreciate it.

Hell, make them all F2 with weather sealing and faster AF motors. Just give us some professional lens options that don't carry the price and weight of FF lenses.

If they don't, than hopefully Sigma will. I recently purchased the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC DN for my A6300. Insane performance - especially for the price.

2 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

If they would release a 16mm 1.4, 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4, and 60mm F1.4, something akin to Fuji's fast XF line, to go along with their APS-C cameras, instead of a new body, I can guarantee that myself, as well as many other Sony APS-C shooters, would appreciate it.

Hell, make them all F2 with weather sealing and faster AF motors. Just give us some professional lens options that don't carry the price and weight of FF lenses.

If they don't, than hopefully Sigma will. I recently purchased the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC DN for my A6300. Insane performance - especially for the price.

I love to use the compact 35mm 1.8 OSS and 50mm 1.8 OSS and have to agree, the Sony APS-C system still lacks a whole bunch of options. A 16mm & 23mm 1.8 OSS would be a great addition as would be a 17-50mm f/2.8 OSS zoom which EVERY other system has.

If an A6500 would come with A7 body with the A6300 sensor but IBIS and massively reduced rolling shutter I would totally get that and keep the A6300 as a B cam. I guess it's too early to pray for 10bit 422?

Says 'gyro sensor provides an image stabilization effect'... so digital stabilization like the EOS M5, not actual suspended stabilization like Olympus/Panasonic is doing or what..?

--

Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation

Ok, it's a mechanism. So I'll just take it it's the proper thing. Still though... that and the same kind of body as the A6300 worries me. I hope they've made that processing quick 'n efficient... but I'm preparing for the worst here...

2 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Says 'gyro sensor provides an image stabilization effect'... so digital stabilization like the EOS M5, not actual suspended stabilization like Olympus/Panasonic is doing I suppose...

It says "5 axis". Can a 5 axis stabilization system be digital? I thought digital stabilization works on x & y axis? No?

4 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

It says "5 axis". Can a 5 axis stabilization system be digital? I thought digital stabilization works on x & y axis? No?

EOS M5 has 5-axis Digital IS. So apparently, why not. But going through the specs the Sony's supposed to have mechanical not digital after all.