A7sii quirks

64mulford

I've had the A7sii for a few months now. It's a great camera but as we often hear in these forums it has it's quirks - white balance issues, odd colours, 2x crop for slow mo, poor battery life etc etc, but I have a couple of issues I'm hoping you folk can help with.

1) As mentioned we all know the battery life sucks. I do a lot of timelapses and one way to save battery life is to turn the LCD screen off while shooting one. But it seems when shooting with an intervlometer I can't turn the screen off! Well I can, but then the a7sii doesn't trigger the shutter. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

2) Picture profiles/Creative styles effecting RAW images - I swear the various profiles are coming through in my RAW files. Camera set to RAW, uncompressed etc but bringing into Camera Raw they are subtly different. They still have great latitude but the colours are effected. Anyone noticed this?

I have a long list of other issues but these are my main issues. Would love to hear some solutions! I'm not complaining as I do think it's a great camera!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, 64mulford said:

2) Picture profiles/Creative styles effecting RAW images - I swear the various profiles are coming through in my RAW files. Camera set to RAW, uncompressed etc but bringing into Camera Raw they are subtly different. They still have great latitude but the colours are effected. Anyone noticed this?

Have you ruled-out the possibility that your image editor/viewer is interpreting the profile metadata from the raw files?

1) Have you tried going into the menu to set the camera to use Viewfinder only? This turns off the LCD and if there is nothing near the EVF sensor it will not be turned on. This will work with the Sony time lapse app, not sure about an intervalometer.

2) The color shifting when first opening photos in Lightroom is normal, it's just Lightroom reverting the photos back to the original RAW state and applying the default settings. The picture you see on your camera's LCD during playback is a version already processed by the camera's engine so it will look different than what shows up in LR.