Lavalier Microphone for Interview

JBraddock

5 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I have almost exactly this.  The Tascam DR-10CS with the Senn ME2.  Its pairs really well.  Very clean and loud.  Gets the job done.  But overall if you're an audio snob there its more of a utility mic than a mic for someone looking to capturing the endearing nuances in someone's voice.  

If I were to vlog like Casey Neistat, I would do it with a Oktava MK 012 with a hypercardioid capsule powered by a irig pre with a Rode SC3 adapter straoght into the 80D.  And for interviews on a budget I'd get a cheap boom for the Oktava and and a XLR extension for the same setup.  It may look a little wonky, but it would sound a million times better than a Rode VideoMic.

Is there any mods you would have to do on the iRig? Caleb Pike found this $23 preamp and I forgot why but for some reason he modded it when he had the Rode TRRS to TRS cable?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Dustin said:

Is there any mods you would have to do on the iRig? Caleb Pike found this $23 preamp and I forgot why but for some reason he modded it when he had the Rode TRRS to TRS cable?

Oh, I forgot one thing.  I had to get a NEUTRIK NA3FM because you can't just plug in the Oktava into the iRig pre.  I did try buying another iRig Pre to mod with a XLR female jack so I can plug the Oktava directly into the iRig pre, but it turns out I'm just really really terrible at soldering.  I'm back to using the NEUTRIK NA3FM.

The Rode SC3 is a TRRS to TRS adapter.

On October 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM, photographer-at-large said:

How about this recorder for lavs, shotguns, etc.?

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/voice-recorders/icd-sx2000

The REC Remote app lets you control your recorder from a distance using Bluetooth™.

Start and stop recording, adjust recording levels and settings, even add track marks so you can easily find content quickly.

17 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

How about this recorder for lavs, shotguns, etc.?

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/voice-recorders/icd-sx2000

The REC Remote app lets you control your recorder from a distance using Bluetooth™.

Start and stop recording, adjust recording levels and settings, even add track marks so you can easily find content quickly.

Or get the Tascam DR22WL instead:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079894-REG/tascam_dr_22wl_wi_fi_enabled_portable_recorder.html

14 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

what do you mean? does it seems fragile or it is? behind this problems how does it perform good? thanks

As you need to hide the lav and its transmitter, then having the largest transmitter pack in existence is going to be a significant downside to it. 

On 10/4/2016 at 11:50 AM, M Carter said:

I've been on shoots with cheap wireless and lots of problems. Even the Sennheiser G3s can get the occasional interference.

My personal rule is "wireless only if you absolutely need wireless"...

My documentary crew has many G3s and they have been pretty reliable. We've had a few interference issues over the years but not many. However we are usually not in a dense urban environment.

We also sometimes use the "lipstick"-shaped Canon and Sony Blutooth wireless lavs. They are harder to conceal, but for informal walk-up interviews that is often OK. They are quicker to clip on than plumbing the G3 wire through the subject's clothing. We've never had interference issues with them, probably because they use 2.45 Ghz and adaptive frequency hopping, whereas the G3s use a single frequency between 500-600 Mhz. The new Sony ECM-W1M receiver mounts directly to a Sony hot shoe so that is nice when using Sony cameras: 

https://amzn.com/B00HPM086C

The ECM-W1M is similar to the Sony ECM-AW4 which uses a 1/8" audio out instead of a Sony hot shoe, so it works with any camera: https://amzn.com/B00JWU6WWO

The ECM-AW4 probably uses the same internals as the now-discontinued Canon WM-V1: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751267-REG/Canon_5068B001_WM_V1_Wireless_Microphone.html

Re Fuzzynormal's point of what's the use of monitoring if you can't stop -- in most cases you *can* stop, you just don't want to. I think most of us in the doc community have shot lots of interviews both monitored and unmonitored. Unmonitored audio is really dangerous because what looks OK on a meter could have all kinds of issues, including clipping, background noise, clothing noise, etc. I have shot lots of unmonitored stuff, and also had to spend many hours trying to fix it in iZotope RX5 -- that is no fun.

That new Tascam DR-10L locally-recorded lav looks pretty good and I already pre-ordered one for testing. However despite the dual level recording, it doesn't solve all the possible issues that require monitoring. But the dual levels cover some situations and the lack of wireless interference covers others, so it probably will be useful in some cases.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

As you need to hide the lav and its transmitter, then having the largest transmitter pack in existence is going to be a significant downside to it. 

which one do you suggest me to buy please? I need it for movies and doc.

I have already the zoom h6 and the rode ntg3 in my equipment.

thx!

18 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

which one do you suggest me to buy please? I need it for movies and doc.

If it is legal in your region then buy a couple of Saramonic UwMic9 units. You're getting performance from them unlike anything else in their price bracket, you'd need to spend DOUBLE as much to find something as good (such as the Sony UWP-D11, another solid choice. Next step up is Lectrosonics). 

On October 10, 2016 at 9:10 AM, joema said:

My documentary crew has many G3s and they have been pretty reliable. We've had a few interference issues over the years but not many. However we are usually not in a dense urban environment.

We also sometimes use the "lipstick"-shaped Canon and Sony Blutooth wireless lavs. They are harder to conceal, but for informal walk-up interviews that is often OK. They are quicker to clip on than plumbing the G3 wire through the subject's clothing. We've never had interference issues with them, probably because they use 2.45 Ghz and adaptive frequency hopping, whereas the G3s use a single frequency between 500-600 Mhz. The new Sony ECM-W1M receiver mounts directly to a Sony hot shoe so that is nice when using Sony cameras: 

https://amzn.com/B00HPM086C

The ECM-W1M is similar to the Sony ECM-AW4 which uses a 1/8" audio out instead of a Sony hot shoe, so it works with any camera: https://amzn.com/B00JWU6WWO

The ECM-AW4 probably uses the same internals as the now-discontinued Canon WM-V1: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751267-REG/Canon_5068B001_WM_V1_Wireless_Microphone.html

Re Fuzzynormal's point of what's the use of monitoring if you can't stop -- in most cases you *can* stop, you just don't want to. I think most of us in the doc community have shot lots of interviews both monitored and unmonitored. Unmonitored audio is really dangerous because what looks OK on a meter could have all kinds of issues, including clipping, background noise, clothing noise, etc. I have shot lots of unmonitored stuff, and also had to spend many hours trying to fix it in iZotope RX5 -- that is no fun.

That new Tascam DR-10L locally-recorded lav looks pretty good and I already pre-ordered one for testing. However despite the dual level recording, it doesn't solve all the possible issues that require monitoring. But the dual levels cover some situations and the lack of wireless interference covers others, so it probably will be useful in some cases.

How's the quality with the Bluetooth mics? I'm going to be doing some traveling, but it would be nice to grab some sound from people I meet when shooting. This is much smaller than my G3 setup. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, The Chris said:

How's the quality with the Bluetooth mics? I'm going to be doing some traveling, but it would be nice to grab some sound from people I meet when shooting. This is much smaller than my G3 setup. Thanks. 

Quality is very good, not equal to the G3 but very good. It's just a lot bigger so if you care about aesthetics it's harder to conceal. However it is common for news-style interviews to have a hand-held mic in the frame, so it's no different than that.

For windy outdoor conditions there is a foam wind muff for some of these but we usually don't use it. Using one (depending on  your viewpoint) makes the mic (a) even bigger or (b) less obvious by making it less "technical" looking. 

Another technique (esp. easy with 4k) is put the mic a little lower on the shirt, then crop it out in post. 

On 10/15/2016 at 8:05 AM, Dan Wake said:

I have seen also the Saramonic UWMIC10 wich is better comparing the Saramonic UwMic9? which is it the difference?

It is not better, they're basically exactly identical to each (except operate on a slightly different frequency range).

Interestingly this thread has highlighted how mich scope exists for innovation in the wireless market (as well as the wired and tiny recorder market, and why players probably need to innovate more).

I really like the InstaMic concept. It seems extremely promising, and I hope version 2.0 introduces a mic-in or an even smaller form factor. 

On 10/10/2016 at 1:34 PM, Dustin said:

Thinking about buying a splitter cable and female to male 3.5mm for my Tascam DR07mkii so I can just run the audio to camera when I don't want to sync it. Would I just need to turn down the mic level on my d5300 to avoid unnecessary camera noise?

Also remember to put the output (headphone volume) of the recorder low as it's a line level output and your camera accepts a Mic level input,