A couple of basic questions from a n00b

Duplex

HI all.

I've jus moved from a DSLR to a Panasonic GX80. I am a competent enough photographer but I want to get into video making much more as I've found it to be something I really enjoy, hence getting the m43 camera. 

So i have a couple of questions.

Firstly what's the general opinion of using Photoshop CC for editing video (bearing in mind I already own it and am familiar with it). Would I gain anything by buying a cheap standalone program (power director or premier elements for example)?

Also if I was to shoot a low light video in 4K and then re-size it to 1080 will this also decrease any noise present? 

Apologies if these are daft questions, but I'm coming to this as a photographer so I'm not sure how much of my knowledge will translate to video!

Thanks. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Duplex said:

Firstly what's the general opinion of using Photoshop CC for editing video (bearing in mind I already own it and am familiar with it). Would I gain anything by buying a cheap standalone program (power director or premier elements for example)?

I'd say bad, since it's not designed to edit video. Kind of like editing stills in Word, which you can. If you are serious about video, sooner or later you'll have to learn to use editing software -not power director nor elements-. Since you are already subscribed to Adobe CC, check how much would it be if you included Premiere CC. At first you may be lost, but that steep learning curve has to be endured and Premiere is as standard and easy as editing programs can be. The upside of this is that, since the concepts are the same, adapting to a different version o program is not that hard.

2 hours ago, Duplex said:

Also if I was to shoot a low light video in 4K and then re-size it to 1080 will this also decrease any noise present? 

Yes it would be present. Depending on the type of noise, the resizing could improve it or not. If you de-noise first and then resize you could get good results since denoising usually softens the image and the resizing would increase the perceived sharpness.

Yes if you are paying for CC just go ahead and download Premiere Pro. There are numerous tutorials both on the adobe site and youtube. You could try Lynda.com and take a course on there as well (I haven't personally done this but have heard good things). I also own photoshop but would strongly suggest not using it as a video editor.

I've looked at getting Premiere Pro CC, but it would be out of my budget to get it. I currently just have the Photography sub from Adobe, Premiere would have to be got as a separate program and I can't justify the cost of that at the moment. This is why I had thought about a cheaper standalone program instead.

Would Premiere Elements be a better choice than using Photoshop? I could pick it up fairly cheaply

I probably should have mentioned that I'm trying my best to keep costs down as this is purely a hobby.  I've been looking into using cheap vintage lenses with the GX80 and I'm delighted to see that that seems to be a popular option.

1 minute ago, Duplex said:

I've looked at getting Premiere Pro CC, but it would be out of my budget to get it. I currently just have the Photography sub from Adobe, Premiere would have to be got as a separate program and I can't justify the cost of that at the moment. This is why I had thought about a cheaper standalone program instead.

Would Premiere Elements be a better choice than using Photoshop? I could pick it up fairly cheaply

Premiere Elements would be better than photoshop. BUT I believe DaVinci Resolve is a free download. I'm not sure of the drawbacks but I believe you can't export a 4k video, other members on here can chime in. But maybe download Resolve before buying anything? Could save you money and I think you'd get a fuller featured video editor than Elements.

1 minute ago, Duplex said:

Thanks! That Davinci Reslove looks great! I don't plan on exporting anything bigger than 1080, the only reason I'd be using 4k at the moment is for editing options.

Yeah give it a shot dude! Again I could be incorrect as I don't use resolve and am going off my memory. But on the website there is a super long list of comparisons and it looks like you are getting a super video editor, great color correcting platform and all for FREE. Considering you are wanting to save money (that could go toward better lens/lighting/equipment) I'd do this for sure

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Premiere Elements would be better than photoshop. BUT I believe DaVinci Resolve is a free download. I'm not sure of the drawbacks but I believe you can't export a 4k video, other members on here can chime in. But maybe download Resolve before buying anything? Could save you money and I think you'd get a fuller featured video editor than Elements.

4k export is enabled for the free version of resolve.

What's not included is 3d stuff, noise removal and lens distortion fix.

11 hours ago, andrgl said:

4k export is enabled for the free version of resolve.

Oh wow, that is new, they didn't have that in the free version before?? When did that come into it?

Though I see it is not 4K DCI, the free version has a limit of UHD.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Oh wow, that is new, they didn't have that in the free version before?? When did that come into it?

Though I see it is not 4K DCI...

Its been a couple of years now :)

I think since 2013. Always felth it was sufficient for my needs and I could crop it to "look"like dci.

Resolve is great seeing as its free but its limitations compared to the paid Studio package are basically sans: Noise reduction and motion blur effects, stereoscopic workflow, limited to UHD, grain, lens flare and light ray effects. full list here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

Keep in mind that it is GPU intensive and you'll need a good rig to get it up and running. Just download it and see... It may take a little getting used to especially if you are new to a node based workflow - but thats what internet tutorials are for...

• Super Members

Ive had the full version multiple times since its included with their cameras. Ive always sold it. The free versions is just fine.

It runs very smoothly on my girlfriends old, old, old base model MacBook Air and my base model MacBook Pro.
Both running Iris graphics, no dedicated.
So it wont run on everything, but nothing super required. 

49 minutes ago, Benozaur said:

Resolve is great seeing as its free but its limitations compared to the paid Studio package are basically sans: Noise reduction and motion blur effects, stereoscopic workflow, limited to UHD, grain, lens flare and light ray effects. full list here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

Keep in mind that it is GPU intensive and you'll need a good rig to get it up and running. Just download it and see... It may take a little getting used to especially if you are new to a node based workflow - but thats what internet tutorials are for...

I downloaded it last night, and it seems to run ok ( I've a fairly decent gaming GPU so hopefully that'll help).

From what I can see the only thing that the free version can't do that I may have use at the moment is noise reduction, as much of what I intend to film is of an Urbex nature ( abandoned buildings etc). However I've just picked up a cheap generic Canon FD speedbooster on Ebay so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a couple of cheap fast primes which should help in low light. 

Resolve looks more than enough for me at the moment, although coming from a photography/Photoshop background I'm sure it'll take a while to get used to, but hey thats half the fun!

I also need to learn how to actually get the shots as well! I'm finding very quickly that making a film of something is a completely different process that capturing it in pictures! 

Any resources out there to help with that aspect of things? 

• Super Members

For learning Resolve there is an online course on Lynda.com that's very good.
Just buy a one month subscription, take the course and then cancel it.

I suggest first doing their quick course on scopes, if you don't already know what they do.
When taking the Resolve course you can skip downloading the material and working the examples imo. I just looked at the videos.
But I guess that depends on the level you where at from the beginning. I had already learned Avid and used it professionally for many years and had been using PP at home for a couple.

If you don't feel that comfortable Im sure the examples and material is fine.

7 minutes ago, Mat Mayer said:

It doesn't export in all UHD formats so I am currently...

Do you have an example so I can try?
Ive been able to export in pretty much anything I want.

Support confirmed with me that they do not support my codec in UHD just after 12 was released (H.264 MP4 and now I also do H.265 I am sure they wont allow that).  A friend uses a Sony A7s and uses free Resolve for grading, but still has to use Premiere Pro to export to h.264/5 mp4 (so ProRes is probably cool). This is for the free version of Resolve, I am sure the paid version will do it. 

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, Mat Mayer said:

Support confirmed with me that they do not support my codec in UHD just after 12 was released (H.264 MP4 and now I also do H.265 I am sure they wont allow that).  A friend uses a Sony A7s and uses free Resolve for grading, but still has to use Premiere Pro to export to h.264/5 mp4 (so ProRes is probably cool). This is for the free version of Resolve, I am sure the paid version will do it. 

Im also talking about the free version (I don't think the full version does anything that the free doesn't in this respect).
What dimensions in h.264 is it that you are not able to export?
I have a memory of having the same issue, still would like to try my old workaround. Cant remember what UHD dimensions that wasn't supported.