Is there any point for an external recorder? If not, then what monitor?

Kisaha

I was considering an external recorder (probably a BlackMagic video assist), mainly because some video partners want ProRes, but I wouldn't mind something between http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=1710 or http://www.lilliputuk.com/monitors/sdi/lilliput-q5/ just for monitoring purposes. Are these monitors better than BlackMagic? Do I have any true advantages using an external recorder (besides the FC friendly coded)? Do you have any other recommendations? Are all those working for both NX1 and NX500?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Blackmagic Video Assist is actually and probably THE best external recorder right now, the build quality is superb and the interface is as one expect, very solid and touch friendly, beautiful display and supports NX1 and NX500 at least in my tests but ask Blackmagic just in case.

But to answer your question, no.
But like you said, your partners need ProRes, and shooting with Samsung in-camera colours and outputting it to ProRes could be many, MANY hours saved in not just grade but conversion as well. And this alone is a huge advantage, another point in using an external recorder besides the dual purpose screen is also the fact that you can record audio to it! 

Why audio you may ask? Because it is a known fact that the audio in the Samsung cameras are "#&%"("#!) and you really need to watch those audio levels like a hawk, if it goes a bit over you are screwed big time, it works fine for me on regular use but the first time the audio fucked me over big time because I assumed it worked like my GH4 which it did not.

So basically, because the Blackmagic Video Assist is SO cheap and so well built, one may ask why not? But if you really just want the ext recorder for better video then no not worth it, but on the longer run it may be if you plan on getting a GH5 or something although it wont support 6k video or 2160p60 so there is also that to take into consideration. 

This is my opinion on an external recorder for the NX1 anyway, for the NX500 it only adds ridicules bulk to the camera. But if I wanted audio features I would use the Blackmagic, and yes I have tested the Blackmagic and the Atomos Shogun, the Shogun is shit with terrible build quality and the battery life is horrible worse than a Sony A7s in the heat avoid it like the black death. 

13 hours ago, SR said:

And if you need a waveform monitor, the Aputure LS-5 looks pretty good at $500.

The Blackmagic Video Assist 1080p one is actually 495 dollars so it makes no sense to buy anything else as the Blackmagic one has Waveform and everything else including Zebra's, 1080p recording to ProRes basically you get more for the same price and it is better build quality and it does audio. 

So basically, if you need a monitor and absolutely have to spend up in the 300 - 400 price range, the Blackmagic one is the only one that you should be focused on unless you need a very big screen but then again I do not buy anything made out of plastic and take it out in the field unless it is for studio use strictly. 

7 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

The Blackmagic Video Assist 1080p one is actually 495 dollars so it makes no sense to buy anything else as the Blackmagic one has Waveform and everything else including Zebra's, 1080p recording to ProRes basically you get more for the same price and it is better build quality and it does audio. 

So basically, if you need a monitor and absolutely have to spend up in the 300 - 400 price range, the Blackmagic one is the only one that you should be focused on unless you need a very big screen but then again I do not buy anything made out of plastic and take it out in the field unless it is for studio use strictly. 

Oh, it comes with waveform now? That's sweet.

BlackMagic is 600€ in my home country and I was considering cheaper 5-5.5 inches monitoring options, such as the Ikan or Lilliput, the Ikan accepts 4K signal too and it has a touchscreen and can be found for 350€, while the Lilliput a bit higher but I guess it is considered a better monitor than the Ikan?

I would expect more, better and cheaper video recorders soo .

On 4.10.2016 at 3:21 AM, SR said:

Oh, it comes with waveform now? That's sweet.

They updated it and included a waveform yeah. 

On 4.10.2016 at 9:23 AM, Kisaha said:

BlackMagic is 600€ in my home country and I was considering cheaper 5-5.5 inches monitoring options, such as the Ikan or Lilliput, the Ikan accepts 4K signal too and it has a touchscreen and can be found for 350€, while the Lilliput a bit higher but I guess it is considered a better monitor than the Ikan?

I would expect more, better and cheaper video recorders soo .

Well it only mattered if the Blackmagic was the same price as a monitor, but if it is cheaper then get it, I have no experience with Lilliput or Ikan maybe someone else does? 
A recorder is useless if you only plan on using its screen.

Hello,

For my NX1 i was very interested by BlackMagic that seems the best but for a very low budget, i have bought Feelworld FW760 and i am very satisfied and impressed  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H39DDUE

I had an Aputure VS-1 https://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Imaging-Industries-Ltd-VS-1/dp/B00FG709H6/
800 x 480 screen resolution can't beat the full hd of the Feelworld. 

21 hours ago, SR said:

Which version was that? At 1.2? 

It always had a waveform, it is not a complex one, if you want those really complex ones although I do not quite understand why you would want to use one with a mirrorless or a DSLR camera but each to his own, the biggest downside on the monitor is the lack of LUT support, that is a bummer for me but Blackmagic might add it in a future firmware.

6 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

It always had a waveform, it is not a complex one, if you want those really complex ones although I do not quite understand why you would want to use one with a mirrorless or a DSLR camera but each to his own, the biggest downside on the monitor is the lack of LUT support, that is a bummer for me but Blackmagic might add it in a future firmware.

Hmmm. I don't see any mention of waveform with the Video Assist anywhere online. Only histogram.

3 hours ago, SR said:

Hmmm. I don't see any mention of waveform with the Video Assist anywhere online. Only histogram.

Yeah I realised after I asked my friend about it, I am a moron the waveforms were on the camera not the Video Assist...

Thank you guys. I think I'll be waiting a few more months to reconsider my options, as I spend some money in accessories and an EVF!

Blackmagic's video assist seems like a no brainer for the money, but cheaper/other monitors are good options, in case I do not go for a recorder.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Thank you guys. I think I'll be waiting a few more months to reconsider my options, as I spend some money in accessories and an EVF!

Blackmagic's video assist seems like a no brainer for the money, but cheaper/other monitors are good options, in case I do not go for a recorder.

Definitely go for a cheap monitor if you do not plan on ext-recording and you can use the rest of the money for the NXL speed booster adapter and adapt any lens to it and make it future proof, he works on an electronic one and posted some results which are looking really good.