Building an Anamorphic Lens Kit

dontthroworanges

I'm interested in getting back into anamorphic shooting since being away from it for a few years. The lens I was previously using was a Kowa Prominar 16-S and didn't like the small rear element and the need to swap taking lenses etc. Anyway, so having all that said, I am considering investing a little money on making an actual kit of fully equipped lenses that would hopefully cover the standard focal lengths shooting at S35. Prices on ISCO UltraStar Plus lenses are pretty decent right now so I was considering basing the kit on these. Here is what I am thinking:

3x ISCO Ultra-Star Plus lenses

3x Rangefinders

85mm Nikkor 85mm 1.8 (Already have this lens), or 100mm E-Series? 

50mm Nikkor 50mm 1.8 E-Series

Anything shorter?

3x Front and rear clamps etc. 

What are your thoughts on this idea?

PS - Here is random video I did back in the day with the 16-S, 44-2, and 50D ML RAW

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, dontthroworanges said:

Looking for the following info:

ISCO Ultra-Star Plus Front Clamp Diameter - 77mm or 72mm?

Think I figured it out based on RafCamera site.- http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapter-d70-to-m72x0-75

I would like to use the 72mm version of the Rangefinder to keep the cost and size down. Thoughts on 77mm vs 72mm?

The 72mm SLR Magic Rangefinder version w/o marking is not produced anymore (as confirmed by email discussion with them). Which is a pain. I'll have to go with the Rectilux then (which is a better product for sure, but at a stiffer price).

On lundi 3 octobre 2016 at 1:56 PM, Justin Bacle said:

On the Ultrastar, you can go as wide as 40mm if you shoot in 1.2:1 (to get 2.4:1 final ratio).
I am currently trying to use the 50D + Ultrastar setup with a Mir 1B 37/2.8. I am waiting for the 49 to 62 step up ring as i am currently stacking multiple step ups (hence the vignetting)

Update on that, 37mm is still a bit too wide for shooting without vignetting. the sweet spot seems to be around 42mm
45mm is good (tested with a minolta 45/2 and a 40-80 pentax zoom)
40mm shows tiny dark corners, which make me think it might be good or not depending on the taking lens' design.

16 hours ago, dontthroworanges said:

I would like to use the 72mm version of the Rangefinder to keep the cost and size down. Thoughts on 77mm vs 72mm?

There are no direct comparisons online, but the optical quality should be the same. Perhaps the 77mm vignettes at a tad wider focal lengths? Although this is probably only true when the rear elements difffer in size between the two versions...The front sizes are the same (82mm). Could be that the glass is exactly the same size, with only the mounting thread differing in size.

2 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

The 72mm SLR Magic Rangefinder version w/o marking is not produced anymore (as confirmed by email discussion with them).

Is this true? Damn...get them while they last then. Still for sale on ebay, B&H and so on...

• 8 months later...
11 minutes ago, whoisjsd said:

The little screw is all you need to remove. Don't remove the others unless you want to re-align the back anamorphic glass again. Then, you need some rubber pipe wenches because the threads are locked. You can also try wrapping the two lenses in some thick rubber bands and using big pliers (I did this on my first one). It takes a bit of force, but it's not impossible.

Good luck!

Exactly what I needed to know! The rubber strap wrenches are on their way. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's done! Really happy with it especially when compared to the Sankor 16-S I had a couple years ago. It's pretty heavy but not too bad. The RAFCamera clamps are absolutely perfect and excellent quality. The posted shot was literally me running out into the alley and snapping a shot on auto. Thanks for everyone's help on this! 

WP_20170705_16_19_17_Raw.jpg

AnamorphicTest1.png