Speedboosters for Sony A-mount on m43 out there?

tosvus

First off, sorry if this has been asked before - I have been out of the loop for a while. I am looking for a speedbooster to use all my Sony Alpha/Minolta glass on my m43 cameras. I see Metabones so far has omitted creating an adapter, but does anyone know if there is anything in the works, or if other brands offer such an adapter?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

i'm not looking for the older minolta md speedboosters, and I don't see anything for the Sony Alpha ones. I did search first you know.. I was hoping someone had communications from Metabones on what their plans are, or some obscure company has put one out.

40 minutes ago, tosvus said:

i'm not looking for the older minolta md speedboosters, and I don't see anything for the Sony Alpha ones. I did search first you know.. I was hoping someone had communications from Metabones on what their plans are, or some obscure company has put one out.

well the sony a mount is pretty dead so im 99% sure no one will make a electronic speedbooster for those lenses when there are already nikon and canon ones

Just now, BrorSvensson said:

well the sony a mount is pretty dead so im 99% sure no one will make a electronic speedbooster for those lenses when there are already nikon and canon ones

Sony just announced their new a99 successor, so they seem to keep it alive still. The odd thing is that Metabones creates a a-mount adapter that works with Fuji x (and Sony Nex, which makes a lot of sense of course)

Find out if Sony/Minolta MA adapts to a Canon or Nikon mount. Then get a speedbooster for that mount and use it with an additional adapter.

But what I think is that you'll need the adapter itself to have optical correction to allow for infinity focus. Which is a bad bad idea to use as these degrade image quality.

1 minute ago, Cinegain said:

Find out if Sony/Minolta MA adapts to a Canon or Nikon mount. Then get a speedbooster for that mount and use it with an additional adapter.

But what I think is that you'll need the adapter itself to have optical correction to allow for infinity focus. Which is a bad bad idea to use as these degrade image quality.

theres plenty of manual adapters for the sony a lenses, just not any electronic

4 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yes, I recall the problem with that is that due to flange distance or something, you cannot get an adapter unless it has an additional piece of glass. I'm concerned enough with the glass in the booster, so that would probably not be wise. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and ditch the Sony/Minolta glass.  

Cinegain and BrorSvensson, thanks for the replies!

No worries and I agree, I think that's the best move to make! ;)

In which case going EOS mount (adapted) lenses (-> EOS Speedbooster) next gives you the most mounting flexibility I think. Going with Nikon mount for your Speedbooster (thus Nikon mount (adapted) lenses) is a little less flexible (like Contax Zeiss for example, with either a hardware mount hack (not for all lenses) or adapter with glass), but would allow direct dummy mounting with aperture control on the cheap (which was my  personal preference).

4 minutes ago, tosvus said:

Yes, I recall the problem with that is that due to flange distance or something, you cannot get an adapter unless it has an additional piece of glass. I'm concerned enough with the glass in the booster, so that would probably not be wise. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and ditch the Sony/Minolta glass.  

Cinegain and BrorSvensson, thanks for the replies!

yes the minolta/a mount is on its last legs, what are the lenses you own?

The Minolta/Sony A-mount is, like Canon EF, a 100% electronic mount for lenses with no manual aperture control. AFAIK, it uses a non-open, proprietary protocol and hasn't been reverse-engineered by adapter makers. In theory, it should be possible to make a focal reducer from A-mount to MFT. In practice, A-mount lenses probably didn't have enough market share to make such a development economical.

The upside of this: If you have a Sony E-mount camera, and Sony's official A-mount to E-mount adapter, you can use old Minolta AF lenses as you please - and find them dirt-cheap on flea markets. (Bought a mint condition Minolta 100-300mm zoom for 10 bucks on a flea market last weekend.)