Black magic video assist question

64mulford

I'm a long time dslr shooter (currently  5d mk3, a7sii and gh4) and I'm finally looking at getting an external recorder. Looking at the BM video assist, the non 4K version in particular (due to price). I have some doubts it'll totally transform my footage and make it more grade friendly - maybe it will, but my main question is about audio. Does the audio travel via hdmi to the recorder as there is no 3.5mm audio input on the video assist. If I have a shotgun mic or lapel plugged into the cameras audio input is that the audio that is recorded or is it just the in-camera audio?

thanks for your help people.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great camera selection, a nightmare to match in the post. I guess you use one at a time.

If you recording straight to your dSLRs, you are doing something really wrong, check the "Field recorder" post just under your post, and try to read and ask about sound, which is a very important aspect of your videos (in my film school we used to say "50% sight/50% sound").

Also, investing in 3 systems should be a very expensive hobby, probably concentrating on 1 good video camera with inter/able lenses with ND filters/xlr sound interface/amazing battery times/better form factor/etc would be a better option and maybe cheaper too.

44 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Great camera selection, a nightmare to match in the post. I guess you use one at a time.

If you recording straight to your dSLRs, you are doing something really wrong, check the "Field recorder" post just under your post, and try to read and ask about sound, which is a very important aspect of your videos (in my film school we used to say "50% sight/50% sound").

Also, investing in 3 systems should be a very expensive hobby, probably concentrating on 1 good video camera with inter/able lenses with ND filters/xlr sound interface/amazing battery times/better form factor/etc would be a better option and maybe cheaper too.

One use one depending on the project so never have to match - just cameras I have inherited over time - all EF lenses/adaptors.

Yes, I understand 50% is sound, hence my question about sound.

The VA records whatever your camera is set up to record so, yes if you have a shotgun/lav etc plugged into the cam the VA will record it.

The massive gotcha here though is that the 5D doesn't output sound over hdmi so you can't use the VA to record sound from that cam. You have to record separately and sync. I haven't used your other two cameras so whilst I assume they would be fine you'd want to check that.

10 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I could be confused. Don't have it to hand right now - I'll have a look later.

Yep, the little VA doesn't have any separate audio inputs.

Jeez this tablet is difficult to format quotes for some reason.

Man - so how does one synch in that case? The Canon sends just the video to the recorder. So you need an external recorder for audio. But the footage has no audio. So - time code? Clapper boards and prayer? Or can you record to the camera card as well, synch that, and then replace with the recorder footage?

And is sending a 4-2-0 signal to a 4-2-2 recorder worth all that hassle (sure, it can record 4-2-2 but it ain't getting 4-2-2)? Can the average viewer even see a difference? Or is your goal to leave the set with ProRes ready to go?

And I gotta agree, plugging a 1/8 mic into a DSLR, yet thinking an HDMI recorder is your next upgrade? I'd look into an audio recorder first if you want to upgrade what you're doing. And maybe look into a "shotgun or lapel" that uses XLRs too. I've found the camera out of my audio recorder (which has its own output level) into my camera via 1/8, often saves me from synching if all the gain is staged correctly. The preamps in the recorder really make the difference (and using quality phantom powered mics and good cables - this has been true for Nikon and NX1 cameras). I still have the recorder card if I need it, and the -6DB safeties, but I don't always need to synch. (Though I usually just throw everything into PluralEyes and go make some coffee or a cocktail. The Tascam recorders have been shipping with a free copy of Pluraleyes, nice bonus and PE now outputs ProRes).